Author Topic: Unable to set XCPlay as a default program  (Read 1408 times)

Glider4

Unable to set XCPlay as a default program
« on: 25 Apr '15 - 22:47 »
I am using Windows 7 and am trying to set XMPlay as my default program for audio files. I followed the instructions but whenever I set the associated file types, my Computer just resets them to Itunes instead.

piovrauz

Re: Unable to set XCPlay as a default program
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr '15 - 09:10 »
That means itunes is "stealing" the associations; you probably need to check if itunes has some config option like "keep associations for known filetypes".
It could be on windows side too (default application settings), but based on my experience usually it's the program (itunes here) that re-gets the filetype associations, often with a dedicated service too, and it's annoying.

Glider4

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr '15 - 22:43 »
I tried disassosiating Itunes with .mp3s (as a test) using Associate This. When trying to open .mp3s, I am now asked to select a program to play them. If I select XMplay, nothing happens. The problems all seem to step from the fact that Windows seems to refuse to acknowledge XMplay as a valid program.

piovrauz

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr '15 - 09:38 »
I'm using windows 7 too, but I haven't itunes installed.
For associations I use Types, which is quite powerful, but builtin XMPlay association setting and windows ones should suffice for normal usage.
I can assure you XMPlay is "valid" for windows, your issue is most likely to be itunes stealing the associations, or xmplay not being set as a default program in windows (via control panel, or via right click).
Before using 3rd part programs to modify file associations you should quadruple check it's not related to programs/OS (so here a combination of widows/itunes/xmplay and possibly mediaplayer): better not adding yet another variable to the mix, with the risk of worsening the situation.
I for one have a couple of programs (irfanview and xnview) that when installed they just get all the files associations, and when uninstalled they revert to a broken state.

Jace

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr '15 - 09:48 »
Just a wild stab in the dark, but could it require to be run in admin mode to edit the file association part of the registry? Had one other program claim it needed that just few days back. :P

kode54

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr '15 - 04:05 »
Windows Vista introduced a scheme to allow users to change their file type associations without administrator privileges, but applications still need elevation to install a list of extensions they support into the registry. Users ultimately control whether an application may take over an extension, through a Control Panel applet. They may not, however, disassociate an application from a given file type without associating it with another application.