Author Topic: Music Playlist Questions  (Read 5285 times)

Glenn9999

Music Playlist Questions
« on: 26 Jun '15 - 17:21 »
This is perhaps more of a support question than anything, but doesn't fit in either of the other categories, so I'm posting it here.  As one may have figured with the other questions I've put here, I'm working on a Delphi OO interface to BASS.DLL, and the project in question as come to the question of playlist support.  Obviously this is outside of BASS.DLL, so I'll have to write this from scratch.

Now I've been getting samples from various things to try and make it reasonably universal.  I note though from the XMPlay marketing stuff that it supports "PLS / M3U / ASX / WAX / CUE playlists".    I got PLS and M3U down pretty easily, as well as good samples.  While I'm not sure of the utility of reading or creating CUE lists for a mere player (basically, to split up a big file to denote the different performances), I could read those without a problem.

The problem becomes with ASX and WAX.  Given the documentation I've found, it seems to indicate that they're formats associated with Windows Media Player.

WAX
Description:    Exactly like ASX and WVX, except that it can only contain references to .asf or .wma, but NOT to .wmv files. See ASX reference for more details.

While I get enough of an idea that I could probably muddle through supporting those, the problem is that I'm not getting samples of these things out of Windows Media Player.  Rather, I'm getting WPL files out of it for playlists, and have a good sample to be able to support it.  The idea seems similar, and I can see the possibility of Microsoft deprecating ASX/WAX/WVX over the confusion they create.  While this indicates a need to support WPL, it does bring a question on what I need to do to get samples of these files - were they generated by older versions of Windows Media Player?

I guess the main question I have is if I'm on the right track with this or not, and how do I resolve/sort these formats (get samples and the like) to be able to write support for them?

Dotpitch

Re: Music Playlist Questions
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun '15 - 10:26 »
In WMP12 I have running here, I can choose File > Save now playing list as > Any playlist. Although the default extension is WPL, changing it to ASX gives me an ASX-file. Based on MSDN, WAX and WVX are just different extension of the same format, but with some restrictions on the files they link to.

One of the places where ASX playlists are used is in WMA streaming of online radio stations, you might find some more samples there.

Glenn9999

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun '15 - 11:50 »
Okay, that got me a half-decent sample where I can figure out what to do with it from there.  Thanks.

Glenn9999

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul '15 - 09:36 »
A question for testing, I find most of the URLs in the online music player sample don't work anymore.  Would it be possible to find more?  Also,  would they appear in typical playlists?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul '15 - 17:01 »
A couple of good places to find a load of streams to play are http://shoutcast.com/ and http://dir.xiph.org/. If you're using BASS to play them, you should enable the BASS_CONFIG_NET_PLAYLIST option so that you can pass the M3U URLs on those pages (rather than extracting the stream URLs within) to BASS_StreamCreateURL.

Glenn9999

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep '15 - 15:19 »
Thanks for the response.  More or less, I'm looking for samples of playlists with web content to see what I need to do to support web links for the play list code I have done.  I don't know how likely that is to be encountered (especially with offline playlists), but I want to be sure the parsing part handles whatever might likely be thrown at it (the XSPF playlists on that second link will be especially useful), and pass the right URLs through to BASS.   The more samples the better of course.

Thanks again for your help.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep '15 - 15:13 by Glenn9999 »