Author Topic: XMplay.exe - Again crashes  (Read 3064 times)

rst

XMplay.exe - Again crashes
« on: 22 Sep '15 - 10:14 »
yes, the last versions for some reasons again throw a crash when trying to drag and drop the whole folder.
In the las cases just because a jpg file into the folder ??????

i continue misunderstanding why if xmpla.exe detects a problem, why passing it to windows. I cant see the reason or the logic.

raina

Re: XMplay.exe - Again crashes
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep '15 - 12:00 »
You could add jpg (and others) to the ignored filetypes list in Options and stuff > Playlist. Helped me the last time an eager plugin was trying (and failing) to load images.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep '15 - 16:17 »
i continue misunderstanding why if xmpla.exe detects a problem, why passing it to windows. I cant see the reason or the logic.

XMPlay will catch some crashes to give some info that it has (eg. a plugin name and file name) to help track it down, and the crash is then passed on to Windows so that it can generate a report/dump for more info if needed. Is XMPlay giving a plugin name and file name in your case, and can you reproduce it every time?

rst

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct '15 - 13:03 »
ok, i have removed all the winamp plugins because when drag and drop entire folders with jpg and 0 byte files into, i get again crashes like in the past. The current xmplay.exe version i am using is 3.8.1.18

Once i removed these plugins, when i drag and drop a jpg file, i obtained no crash, but yes if i drag and drop it again. Then i obtain:

when i do the same with a 0 byte file, just drag and drop it two times, i obtain this:

Like i said before, i dont see any logic just passing errors to windows, when xmplay detect problems. Sure that exist, but not for the users. Anyways the most strange on this is that several versions ago in the past, this error passing has begun to happen, an i removed some winamp plugin that caused it, Then i had no more problems like these. But now, since i updated xmplay to this version, i obtained this.

Please help.

edit: yes i have removed also that real audio xmplay plugin, but exactly the same happen.

« Last Edit: 4 Oct '15 - 13:07 by rst »

saga

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct '15 - 18:43 »
i dont see any logic just passing errors to windows
The logic is that people (e.g. plugin writers) have the chance to attach a debugger to the crashed process and analyze the problem. XMPlay cannot always catch these kinds of errors and then interpret them correctly, which is the reason why you sometimes see XMPlay's own dialog and sometimes you don't. Passing the error is most definitely not a reason for plugins starting to crash all of a sudden, though, the only difference to the old behaviour is that XMPlay tries to catch the error and show some helpful message. Passing the error to Windows happened before and still happens.

rst

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct '15 - 18:56 »
the logic is to help to the program author. There isnt any advantage for the user.

Dotpitch

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct '15 - 06:43 »
Ok, so your configuration crashes on jpg and/or 0-byte files. Does a vanilla XMPlay (i.e. just xmplay.exe, no plugins) also crash?

rst

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct '15 - 11:04 »
just now i have only xmplay native plugins except that real audio one. But the fact is that we need the plugins.
And the other fact is, previous versions, hadnt this problem.

piovrauz

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct '15 - 13:39 »
makes me think it's the realaudio plugin crashing?
try with a vanilla XMPlay, just to be sure.
try to exclude .jpg format too (playlist config, ignore filetypes).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct '15 - 15:02 »
To get more info on the crash, please upload a dump file for it. You can generate a dump file using the ProcDump tool, eg. run "procdump -e -ma -x . xmplay.exe". Then ZIP and upload the generated dump file to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

rst

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct '15 - 22:18 »
ready, 7z file. Just dragging and dropping a jpg file

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct '15 - 15:52 »
The crash seems to be caused by the xmp-vgmstream plugin. If you remove that plugin, does the crashing stop? I notice you've since posted some other crash reports; you could also check if they stop after removing the plugin.

The problem appears to be that the plugin is closing the file handles (XMPFILE) that it's given by XMPlay, which it shouldn't be doing as XMPlay will close them when it's done with them (the same file handle may be passed to multiple plugins). Looking at the plugin's source code, simply removing the "xmpffile->Close" call from the "xmpsf_close" function would probably suffice. The "init_vgmstream_from_path" function/calls can also be removed because the plugin doesn't have the XMPIN_FLAG_OWNFILE flag set (so it will always receive an XMPFILE from XMPlay).

PSXGamerPro1

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct '15 - 08:17 »
So, I tried to make the changes that Ian posted above on their project but looks like they would have to add me to it it change it any. gg Although I have the c file here that I edited.
DllMain.c

rst

« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct '15 - 12:34 »
some compilation witht he changes ?

thx in advance

saga

« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct '15 - 12:49 »
I've pointed kode54 to this thread, so he should be able to provide a new version soon.

kode54

« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct '15 - 22:00 »
You do realize that this plugin has occasion to open its own files as well, so it may be leaking those now? There needs to be a signal in the file structure used by this vgmstream frontend to signal whether we should close the file or not.

rst

« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct '15 - 15:03 »
where to update it ?

saga

« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct '15 - 15:07 »
You'll have to wait for kode54 to actually implement a proper fix. There is none yet. Be patient.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct '15 - 13:01 »
You do realize that this plugin has occasion to open its own files as well, so it may be leaking those now? There needs to be a signal in the file structure used by this vgmstream frontend to signal whether we should close the file or not.

Ah, I didn't realize that the plugin was opening other files. In that case perhaps something like a "noclose" boolean member could be added to the XMPSTREAMFILE structure, which defaults to "false" in xmpsf_create and is set to "true" in init_vgmstream_from_xmpfile, and determines whether xmpsf_close closes the file.

rst

« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct '15 - 19:03 »
it is very curious but that xmp-vgmstream, cause that other plugins that seems good, to cause crashes. As soon as we remove it from xmplay, these other plugins works fine, and we can drag and drop jpg files or 0 byte size files without the crash......

saga

« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct '15 - 21:53 »
It's not curious, it's just a logical result of what xmp-vgmstream does - it (accidentally) closes the file so that follow-up plugins can no longer read from the file.

norman

Windows 10
« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct '15 - 14:59 »
hello all you good people. I hope my asking this here isn't too far out of order.

I use Windows XP(32bit) and have no issues at all with XMPlay running on it.

But, my girlfriend has a Windows 10 laptop and I offered to install XMPlay on it for her. After making the offer, I thought I'd check here to see if there might be a problem with doing that. From my far less that geeky reading I get the impression their may well be a problem to do with Windows 10 being 64bit.

I don't really understand anything about BASS and I've never compiled anything in my life, so I'll stick with asking a very simple question and cross my fingers and hope that there is a very simple answer.

Will XMPlay work with Windows 10, just as it comes, with it's normal set of support files, as I use it currently on my own XP system?

If not, how can I get it to work, without being an expert ?

My very best wish to you all.

norman.

rst

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct '15 - 15:32 »
xmplay works 100% perfect on xp, at least on my xp x64 sp2.
And so far i consider that it is the best audio media player that exist.

The problem seems just sometimes some plugins works something bad and makes that other plugins stop to works like they must. I hope that Ian perform some little change on xmplay to avoid that because, i feel bad myself to culp certain plugins when they arent the cause. But xmplay said me with error message pointing to the plugins.....

saga

« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct '15 - 15:35 »
Will XMPlay work with Windows 10, just as it comes, with it's normal set of support files, as I use it currently on my own XP system?
Yes, XMPlay works on Windows 10 just as it works on any other Windows version, no matter if 32-bit or 64-bit.

I hope that Ian perform some little change on xmplay to avoid that
Ian cannot really do anything about this. It's the plugin authors' fault if they write broken code. Plugins are native code and can thus do anything they like. This is fully intentional (and indeed required by some plugins) but it also comes with a risk (namely broken plugins that can crash the entire program).

i feel bad myself to culp certain plugins when they arent the cause. But xmplay said me with error message pointing to the plugins.....
That's because an error in one point can cause a crash in an entirely different point (not only in this case, but think of more genereal scenarios like heap corruptions). Ian already did a great thing by at least trying to help you by showing the last loaded plugin's name, but you should not trust this information 100%, it's just an indication of what went wrong, not a detailed analysis.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct '15 - 15:38 by saga »

piovrauz

« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct '15 - 15:51 »
I can confirm most of the crashes are usually caused by plugins.
XMPlay works on 32bit and 64bit, I have friends using it on windows 7, 8, 8.1, all 64bit.
They have no plugins except the default ones and it never crashed.

Sometime there are some AV trying to inject code, but that should be get caught by XMPlay itself and not lead to problems.