Author Topic: Forum slowness  (Read 2058 times)

saga

Forum slowness
« on: 9 Nov '15 - 01:05 »
I'm experiencing some really long page loading delays on this forum lately.
They occur at several physical locations (different ISPs), different computers and operating systems (some being linux systems with no virus scanners - so it's definitely not some scanner blocking the browser), no matter whether I'm logged into the forum or not.
In essence, when I load the forum page for the first time, it takes ten seconds or longer to load. Firefox' web developer console is not too helpful - It doesn't show any specific file that takes a long while to load. However, in general it seems that after loading the forum's index.php, the remaining files (e.g. background images) take a long while to be fetched. Interestingly the browser won't make any new connections during this time as well (probably hitting the maximum connection limit?). Is anyone else having the same issues?

Dotpitch

Re: Forum slowness
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov '15 - 06:39 »
Ouch, ten seconds is annoyingly slow. I'm having no issues at all, both in Chromium and Edge.

It's odd that it occurs even at different ISPs for you. Do you have to be logged in for it to happen?

saga

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov '15 - 11:47 »
No, definitely has nothing to do with being logged in or not. The weird thing is really that it's not the index.php taking so long to load, but the supposedly static image files. It also only happens on the "first visit" as said, i.e. if I reload the page it's fast again, probaly because this time the browser remembers that it can just reload things from from cache. Interestingly it doesn't seem to happen with Chromium.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov '15 - 15:22 by saga »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov '15 - 17:08 »
That's strange. What does Firefox's "Network" view (Ctrl+Shift+Q) look like when you force a reload of the page (Ctrl+Shift+R)?

saga

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov '15 - 23:13 »
Well, as mentioned in my first post it's not too helpful really - there's a really long period where it supposedly does nothing.
Note that this was done in a private tab after not visiting the site for a while, which also avoids loading the images from cache. As said, the problem is gone on subsequent page visits so Ctrl+Shift+R won't cut it unless I keep the tab open for a while - but the outcome will be identical, anyway.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov '15 - 15:28 »
Is the delay always at or just after the un4seen.js file? If so, perhaps it is caused by your anti-virus analysing that file? Does temporarily disabling the anti-virus prevent the delay?

saga

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov '15 - 20:34 »
Unfortunately disabling antivirus on Windows does not help, and there's no antivirus to speak of on the Linux system I've tried. I haven't quite figured out when this happens, but it's not always at un4seen.js - This time it happened at script.js. I'll look out during the next few times if it always happens when loading JavaScript resources.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov '15 - 20:55 by saga »

ELP

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov '15 - 09:58 »
no problems here.
hm complete without cache:

saga

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov '15 - 22:33 »
Seems like the problem disappeared by now. Still no idea what caused it, since I don't think anything about the hardware or software I use changed.