Author Topic: Music ratings in XMPLAY  (Read 560 times)

John Rocke

Music ratings in XMPLAY
« on: 22 Apr '16 - 00:30 »
I like using the star rating system in XMPLAY (easy right click on tracks during playback) but it would be much better if XMPLAY could also read and write these to tags in the files.

So when I add tracks to my playlist, if they have a ratings tag already then XMPLAY would read and display the tag.  If I create or change a rating, then XMPLAY would write that new/updated tag back to the file.

Thoughts?

piovrauz

Re: Music ratings in XMPLAY
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr '16 - 11:17 »
If you add the files to the library then the rating should be saved (in the library) and will be used when you reload the file.
From the playlist windows: select the files, right click, select "add to libray"; then ou can use "track info" to edit tags too.
Using the library instead of writing a tag to the file(s) was probably done because in this way it's possible to support a lot of different file formats, even those that have no tags, and they don't need to be modifies, so one using CRC checks on them doesn't need to update those every time a tag is modified.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Music ratings in XMPLAY
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr '16 - 18:02 »
Using the library instead of writing a tag to the file(s) was probably done because in this way it's possible to support a lot of different file formats, even those that have no tags, and they don't need to be modifies, so one using CRC checks on them doesn't need to update those every time a tag is modified.

It also means that XMPlay and plugins don't need to have tag writing support :)

Regarding the request, due to the lack of tag writing support, adding rating tags to files isn't currently possible, but I guess it could be possible to import existing rating tags from files. I'm not aware of what tags are used for that purpose though. Do you know?