Author Topic: xmp-taskbar - see your current playback progress in your taskbar (windows 7+)  (Read 1707 times)

FIX94

This small feature might not be a lot to most but I really got used to see the current progress for songs, extracting things etc. directly in my taskbar when I have multiple things open at the same time so I thought why not add this to XMPlay via plugin, if anyone else would like that then here you go I guess :P

https://github.com/FIX94/xmp-taskbar/releases

Please note that you have to have at least windows 7 for this feature to work, also if you are on windows 7 specifically it will not work with the classic theme because that does not come with this newer windows progress feature yet so set it to the areo or basic theme. If you have 8 or newer it will work out of the box because the features will always be available.
If you happen to try it and you find any issues with it let me know of course.
« Last Edit: 5 Jun '16 - 19:26 by FIX94 »

Astral Soup Design

Downloading and testing :D

FIX94

just gave it another small update to v0.2 ;)
-updating more often to have things even more fluent
-made updating overly secure, had a crash once

raina

Seems to work fine. It's funny skipping back and forth, you don't usually see the progress bar regress. :)

Edit: Could the default background (song stopped/unloaded) be an empty instead of full progress bar?
« Last Edit: 1 Jun '16 - 19:29 by raina »

Dhry

I have activated this plugin but I can't see anything different? What am I supposed to be looking for? The xmplay entry in my taskbar still just shows the author and trackname with no additional info. Should I be looking elsewhere or configuring something else? xmplay v3.8.2.9

DRS

saga

Depends on your Windows theme. If you use pre-Windows 8 with anything other than Aero, you are not going to see progress bars.

Dhry

Depends on your Windows theme. If you use pre-Windows 8 with anything other than Aero, you are not going to see progress bars.
Got it, that would be why. Win7, classic theme. Didn't see Win8+ mentioned anywhere.

DRS

saga

Yes, because Windows 8 is not a specific requirement - but on Windows 7 you simply don't get progress bars on taskbar entries when using the classic theme.

piovrauz

Just saying, but on win7 you can see the progress on the taskbar even with some customized themes.
It's wonderful.

saga

Yes, but not with the Windows Classic theme. Progress bars are generally not available with Classic (which cannot be "themed", you can only change colours), only with Aero (any custom themes are applied to Aero). Maybe this should be specified in the initial post to avoid further confusion.
« Last Edit: 5 Jun '16 - 16:25 by saga »

piovrauz

Yeah, it would be sensible to put a notice like "This addon works on windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7 with aero; if aero is not enabled it won't work due to how theming works"
I suppose the progress bar wouldn't "work" with 3rd part theming as windowsblind then, but I don't feel like installing it to try, that thing is worse than hex-patched dlls...

FIX94

Yeah, it would be sensible to put a notice like "This addon works on windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7 with aero; if aero is not enabled it won't work due to how theming works"
I totally forgot about that but yea you're right, edited the first post just in case this confusion happens again ;)

piovrauz

Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's not, but I'll let you know anyway.
When I launch XMPlay and it's stopped (for example the playlist and queue are empty) the taskbar progress is full.
Shouldn't it be empty?
Windows 7 x64 here, XMPlay is pinned to the taskbar (to lauch it I just click one time, so fast!).

raina

When I launch XMPlay and it's stopped (for example the playlist and queue are empty) the taskbar progress is full.
Shouldn't it be empty?
My thoughts exactly.

FIX94

I guess I somehow missed that since I normally dont have it stopped but I addressed it now, v0.3 will clear that status when you stop playback.

piovrauz