Author Topic: HLS support?  (Read 2836 times)

r

HLS support?
« on: 11 Nov '14 - 18:06 »
HLS is a streaming format that downloads small chunks at a time for a broadcast:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

The BBC is moving from WMA to HLS for its pre-recorded shows in 2015, so I'd love to keep using XMPlay to listen to the BBC, but it doesn't seem like XMPlay fully supports HLS.

You can find some sample HLS streams here:
http://www.addictradio.net/en/labs/

Currently, if you load up a HLS playlist (.m3u8) in XMPlay, notice that the playlist is split up into 10 second tracks.  Would love it if XMPlay could fully support HLS! :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: HLS support?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul '15 - 17:27 »
This thread is a little old, but it's as good a place as any to post this, so... here's an XMPlay update that includes some support for HLS:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

It seems to be working quite well so far, but it hasn't been tested a lot yet, so please report any problems. HLS streams usually have AAC data, so the AAC plugin will also be needed.

r

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul '15 - 03:05 »
Thanks for implementing this, Ian.

The streams I linked to above seem to work just fine.

Here's a useful link to all BBC radio streams using HLS:
http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/other.asp

I'll reply to this thread if I encounter any other problems.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul '15 - 03:08 by r »

r

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb '16 - 17:47 »
Okay, came across a small thing.

Currently, XMPlay doesn't fully support HLS streams with seeking.

You can test any BBC Listen Again HLS stream from Beebotron:
https://beebotron.org/listings/

XMPlay is able to play them fine, but seeking is disabled.

Ian, would it be possible to add seeking support?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb '16 - 14:47 »
I guess you would want to be able to seek forward to parts that have not already been downloaded? I can't promise anything at this stage, but I'll put it on the "look into it" list :)

r

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb '16 - 19:29 »
Yeah, that's right!  Thanks for considering the request, Ian.

FWIW, I tested MX Player on Android and that is able to seek the HLS streams listed above :)

Would be great to have an audio player on Windows that can reliably play HLS streams.  Thanks for all the work you've put in so far!

r

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct '17 - 20:46 »
Hi Ian,

I noticed that BASS received a BASSHLS addon.

Was wondering if any of that code can trickle down to XMPlay.

Thanks!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct '17 - 16:48 »
I guess it's still the seeking support that you want? :)

That should eventually come to XMPlay too.

r

« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct '17 - 17:44 »
Yes sir!  You are most certainly correct!

Thanks as always, Ian!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct '17 - 17:52 »
Here's an update for you (and anyone else interested) to try:

It adds support for seeking in complete HLS sequences (those with an EXT-X-ENDLIST tag), and also adds support for seeking in regular HTTP downloads from servers that support byte range requests (without having to wait for the download to reach the wanted position). The latter currently only applies to MP3/MP2/MP1/WAV/AIFF files but it should be possible to extend it to some other file formats too (some wouldn't work well). Seekable HTTP downloads can be identified by "seekable" being shown next to the download progress in the "General" info window.

This new stuff seems to be working nicely so far but it hasn't been tested very much yet, so if you try it, please report how you get on.

r

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct '17 - 19:05 »
Perfect as always, Ian!

Tried this on some BBC HLS streams and seeking works flawlessly.  Now, I can listen to my BBC streams on XMPlay again without any problems.

For any of you wanting to try some BBC HLS streams, you can check out the following link:
https://beebotron.org/listings/6music/hls/

The seekable property doesn't show up in the General tab for BBC HLS streams though.  Maybe because the stream is AAC?
« Last Edit: 11 Oct '17 - 19:08 by r »

r

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct '17 - 21:01 »
One bug I've come across is if I pause the stream for about 20 seconds and attempt to resume the stream.  After the finished segment, the stream will restart from the beginning.

Is it possible to resume paused streams from the same spot?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct '17 - 16:42 »
Good to hear that it is working well. The "seekable" indicator in the "General" info isn't applied to HLS streams, as it will always be possible to seek anywhere in them if the position slider is shown.

That restarting after pausing for a while thing is intended for internet radio streams, which often timeout while paused due to lack of connection activity. Here's an update that disables it for HLS streams:

r

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct '17 - 19:12 »
The new update works flawlessly.

Pausing works as expected now.  Thanks again, Ian!