Author Topic: Changelog for development version?  (Read 1513 times)

yps

Changelog for development version?
« on: 23 Aug '18 - 19:55 »
Hi Ian,

my users have been reporting some strange issues ever since I switched from BASS 2.4.12.1 to 2.4.13.8, mostly including locked up sound or loops when using DirectSound (with the new BASS_DEVICE_DSOUND flag).

I see that the development version from http://www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass.zip is currently at 2.4.13.25.

Is there a public changelog available for that version? Just to avoid hunting and reporting bugs that have already been fixed in it.

Thanks

Torben

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Changelog for development version?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug '18 - 13:33 »
Here's what the changelog (since 2.4.13.8) currently looks like:

* Support for playback on the "no sound" device
   BASS_Init
   BASS_StreamCreateFile/User/URL
   BASS_SampleLoad/Create
   BASS_ChannelPlay
* Access to the 3D output mix for applying DSP/FX
   STREAMPROC_DEVICE_3D (BASS_StreamCreate option)
* Retrieval of a device's started/stopped status
   BASS_IsStarted
* Sync for when a device stops unexpectedly
   BASS_SYNC_DEV_FAIL (BASS_ChannelSetSync type)
* New channel playback state for a paused device
   BASS_ACTIVE_PAUSED_DEVICE (BASS_ChannelIsActive)
* Windows mixer settings are retained by default and optionally not
   BASS_CONFIG_WASAPI_PERSIST (BASS_SetConfig option)
* Fix for bug in playback buffering disabling option
   BASS_ATTRIB_NOBUFFER (BASS_ChannelSetAttribute option)

There are also some other tweaks and fixes.

Let me know if you still get the DirectSound output problem with the latest "stuff" build, and if it's locking-up, upload a dump file of that. You can use Task Manager's "Create Dump File" option to generate the dump file.

yps

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug '18 - 13:52 »
Thanks for the log. I will include the dev version in my distribution from today and let you know if we see any issues with it. Actually we're not quite sure if it's really related to the BASS update. Still investigating.

fmcoder

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep '18 - 11:33 »
I also started receiving bug reports with messages like "Access violation at address 55830DB1 in module 'bass.dll'. Write of address 00000048." after upgrading from 2.4.12.1 to 2.4.13.8 when using multiple devices with and without the BASS_DEVICE_DSOUND flag. The stack trace says that it fails when calling BASS_Split_StreamCreate. I was never able to reproduce the error myself, but multiple bug reports from different people make me think there's something not right...

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep '18 - 13:38 »
Please try this latest build:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass.zip

Let me know if the problem still happens with that, and post any info that you have on it (eg. the call stack).

stevenmmm

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep '18 - 14:12 »
my users have been reporting some strange issues ever since I switched from BASS 2.4.12.1 to 2.4.13.8, mostly including locked up sound or loops when using DirectSound (with the new BASS_DEVICE_DSOUND flag).
I have had the same reported by some of my users. For now I have defaulted to not setting the flag but sometimes users do need the old DirectSound. Did the latest development version solve the issue for you?

fmcoder

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep '18 - 15:53 »
Please try this latest build:

Let me know if the problem still happens with that, and post any info that you have on it (eg. the call stack).
OK, will do. Currently I changed to version .25 and it appears that bug reports are stopped for now. What is the difference between versions .25 and .26?

Did the latest development version solve the issue for you?
It's early to tell, I have not received responses from all people who had this problem. But at least no new bugreports were received in the past two days since I updated bass version.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep '18 - 13:09 »
What is the difference between versions .25 and .26?

.26 temporarily disables the BASS_STREAM_RESTRATE option to prevent a stream stalling. It was introduced here:

www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=13225.msg128038#msg128038

yps

« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct '18 - 06:35 »
Some more feedback on the 2.4.13 version:

A couple of users have reported that short audio files often produce stutter (or probably rather looped buffers) at the end when using BASS_DEVICE_DSOUND and closing the device just after EOF.

And then we experience strange freezes, apparently in BASS_StreamFree (with decoding channels). We have managed to create a minidump of this issue - can I upload it to your FTP, does it still work? Forgot how to log in, and anonymous access doesn't seem to work.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct '18 - 15:54 »
A couple of users have reported that short audio files often produce stutter (or probably rather looped buffers) at the end when using BASS_DEVICE_DSOUND and closing the device just after EOF.

Do you have any "mixtime" syncs (particularly BASS_SYNC_END) set on the affected streams, and if so, what are the SYNCPROC function(s) doing? A delay in a mixtime SYNCPROC could result in a looped buffer when using DirectSound output. Also, what BASS_CONFIG_BUFFER setting are you using?

And then we experience strange freezes, apparently in BASS_StreamFree (with decoding channels). We have managed to create a minidump of this issue - can I upload it to your FTP, does it still work? Forgot how to log in, and anonymous access doesn't seem to work.

Yes, please upload the dump file. Anonymous uploads are possible to this FTP directory:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

yps

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct '18 - 08:18 »
Uploaded a dump - please look at thread $15fc. DLL version was 2.4.13.25. According to madExcept I was calling BASS_StreamFree at that time, for a decoding channel. Although WinDbg claims that BASS_SampleStop is involved in some kind, don't know why:

04 0c85fcb0 7347f27f bass+0x1236e
05 0c85fd00 00e53093 bass!BASS_SampleStop+0x304

About the other problem, I actually have a lot of syncs of all kinds, but there is no heavy processing in them - most just send a message to another thread. I do have an EOF sync, but it's not mixtime.

It also only happened for some users, I was unable to reproduce the issue here on my machines. May depend on particular the soundcard. For at least one user, the problem was definitely reproducable, and it went away when we downgraded BASS to 2.4.12.x (while retaining all configuration and buffer settings etc.). So there must be something in the new version that it causing it. I just wish I had more evidence...

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct '18 - 13:04 »
Uploaded a dump - please look at thread $15fc. DLL version was 2.4.13.25. According to madExcept I was calling BASS_StreamFree at that time, for a decoding channel.

It is indeed stuck in a BASS_StreamFree call. I'm not certain how it got to that but it looks like it may be possible if a SYNCPROC happened to be called on the stream in another thread at the same time as the BASS_StreamFree call. Here's an update that will hopefully prevent it:

Let me know if you still see the problem happening with that (and upload a new dump if so).

About the other problem, I actually have a lot of syncs of all kinds, but there is no heavy processing in them - most just send a message to another thread. I do have an EOF sync, but it's not mixtime.

It also only happened for some users, I was unable to reproduce the issue here on my machines. May depend on particular the soundcard. For at least one user, the problem was definitely reproducable, and it went away when we downgraded BASS to 2.4.12.x (while retaining all configuration and buffer settings etc.). So there must be something in the new version that it causing it. I just wish I had more evidence...

If it's a decoding channel, all of its syncs will be "mixtime" even if you don't use the BASS_SYNC_MIXTIME flag. If you have a user that can reproduce the problem easily, to confirm whether it's sync-related, perhaps you could try disabling or stripping down the SYNCPROCs (particularly for BASS_SYNC_END if it happens at the end) to see if that stops the problem happening for them?

yps

« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct '18 - 13:29 »
Let me know if you still see the problem happening with that (and upload a new dump if so).

Will do, thanks.

If it's a decoding channel, all of its syncs will be "mixtime" even if you don't use the BASS_SYNC_MIXTIME flag. If you have a user that can reproduce the problem easily, to confirm whether it's sync-related, perhaps you could try disabling or stripping down the SYNCPROCs (particularly for BASS_SYNC_END if it happens at the end) to see if that stops the problem happening for them?

Sorry, I was mixing up two things here (or reporting two problems in the same post). The first problem with the dump I uploaded was with decoding channels, using WASAPI output with basswasapi.dll. The other problem, with the stutter, was with non-decoding channels and DirectSound output.

We will try to reproduce it and narrow it down, thank you.