Author Topic: 192kHz files being filtered above 25Khz  (Read 431 times)

BaseHead

192kHz files being filtered above 25Khz
« on: 18 Sep '18 - 02:25 »
Hey gang!
A user just sent me a 192Khz file exported thru bassenc on mac and everything above 25khz is gone if you look at in a spectrum analyzer like Wavelab or RX compared to the original.
So I did the same test on our PC version and that works fine.  All frequencies are preserved.

then as a test, I went back to the mac version and tried removing BassFX and BassMix and the problem is still there.
I also updated BassEnc to the latest one posted a little while ago.
and also exporting a 192khz file as 96khz also has missing freq above 25khz

Is there some sort of flag that would shelf off the higher frequencies in BassEnc I should look for?

Thanks for any insight you might have!
Steve

Steve

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: 192kHz files being filtered above 25Khz
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep '18 - 13:12 »
BASSenc won't filter the data itself, so I guess it is the encoder doing that. Lossy encoders will usually remove high/inaudible frequencies, to avoid wasting bandwidth on things that won't be heard. What encoder are you using? Also, what is the sample rate of the output file? If the sample rate is 48KHz, that would explain a 24KHz limit, or are you sure it's 25KHz? It's hard to tell exactly from the posted image.

BaseHead

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep '18 - 17:48 »
it's just around 24-25Khz.   Hard to see exact here also
the input and output files are both 192khz WAV files so no major conversion is being done at all.
I could see if the same results were in both PC and Mac but strange that the PC output is fully freq and not the mac.

any ideas?

Also...I couldn't the find BASS example app to test this on mac. 
What is the name of it that will allow me to test 192 WAV input to 192 WAV writing. All examples I found were going to MP3 or something else.

thx man!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep '18 - 12:51 »
You can use the CONTEST example that's included in the BASSenc package for testing (you can use the provided Xcode project or makefile to build it). It will write a WAV file by default.

BaseHead

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep '18 - 04:59 »
I thought that was the name but was the only one I couldn't build, but got it working today and tested it to confirm it's happening.
Then I investigated more and found someone hard set my Processing mixer to 48000 instead of getting the value from the transfer options.
So it was getting knocked down to 48 and then upsampled to 192

all good now!

thx man!   ;D