Author Topic: Reading cue sheets  (Read 299 times)

garson

Reading cue sheets
« on: 27 Feb '20 - 21:38 »
Hello Ian.
I just noticed couple of weird things about reading cue files.
1) If first line in cue file is not blank, DATE will not be shown
2) CATALOG is not shown unles under REM
3) ISRC is not shown

Not sure is this what was intented to be like, but according to this link, CATALOG and ISRC should be standard fields.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_(computing)

Thanks

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Reading cue sheets
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb '20 - 15:23 »
Please upload any CUE file(s) that you're having trouble with to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

garson

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb '20 - 19:22 »
Hello Ian.

I just uploaded "Fourplay - Energy.cue".
I tried several and all behaved same way.

garson

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb '20 - 11:33 »
Just to add couple more things about cue sheets.
When file that has cue sheet is played but subsongs are not separated in Messages tab we can see list of all subsongs with starting time for each subsong. When we separate subsongs, each subsongs will have 0:00 as time, which in my opinion makes that information useless.
Ian, is it possible to somehow change it to show perhaps subsong duration instead of 0:00?

Also, I noticed that subsong count (for example 2 / 10) is displayed in File Info tab. Does it make more sense to have that in Messages tab in Cues section?
For example:
Title           Energy
Artist         Fourplay
Genre       Smooth Jazz
DATE         2008-07-17
Subsong   3/10
4:17          Ultralight

Thanks.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar '20 - 14:49 »
I just uploaded "Fourplay - Energy.cue".
I tried several and all behaved same way.

I notice the uploaded CUE file has a UTF-8 BOM at the start. XMPlay isn't currently expecting to see that, which means it would be treated as part of the first line. That could explain why you needed to start the file with an empty line. Here's an update that checks for a UTF-8 BOM for you to try:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

This update also adds the CATALOG to the "Cues" section in the Message info window. It doesn't include ISRC because the "Cues" section currently has only one line per-track, containing the start time and PERFORMER and TITLE info. I suppose the ISRC could be appended to that but it might look a bit odd, like its part of the title.

When file that has cue sheet is played but subsongs are not separated in Messages tab we can see list of all subsongs with starting time for each subsong. When we separate subsongs, each subsongs will have 0:00 as time, which in my opinion makes that information useless.
Ian, is it possible to somehow change it to show perhaps subsong duration instead of 0:00?

I'm not sure the duration would make more sense than 0:00 (which is the separated subsong's new start time), but the update above will replace that with "Track".

Also, I noticed that subsong count (for example 2 / 10) is displayed in File Info tab. Does it make more sense to have that in Messages tab in Cues section?

I don't think so, as the subsong number isn't taken from a tag/message in the CUE file. Note other filetypes (not only CUE) can have separated subsongs, so it can't only be shown in the CUE file-specific "Cues" section.

garson

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar '20 - 17:39 »
It doesn't include ISRC because the "Cues" section currently has only one line per-track, containing the start time and PERFORMER and TITLE info. I suppose the ISRC could be appended to that but it might look a bit odd, like its part of the title.
Thanks for the update Ian.

I didn't quite understand this part about ISRC, "Cues section currently has only one line per-track containing the start time and PERFORMER and TITLE info". I can't see in .cue file that start time, PERFORMER and TITLE info are in one line?

I don't think so, as the subsong number isn't taken from a tag/message in the CUE file. Note other filetypes (not only CUE) can have separated subsongs, so it can't only be shown in the CUE file-specific "Cues" section.
Could subsong number be shown in cue section as well? It would be somehow redundant but probably entire info would be in one place (one screen).

garson

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar '20 - 17:47 »
I just noticed something else related to Messages tab in XMPlay.
For same cue sheet now I have in cues section:
Title:
Artist:
GENRE:
DATE:
CATALOG:
Track:

Notice that some of these are uppercase only and some lowercase with first letter as uppercase.
Also I noticed that for APE tags all are uppercase but for FLAC tags they are mixed as well, for example:
Title:
COMPOSER:
COPYRIGHT:
Album:
Artist:
Comment:
Genre:
DATE:
TRACKNUMBER

Was this made on purpose?

Also, I tried to figure out order in which these are shown. Looks like from Album till the end they are in alphabetical order, but COMPOSER and COPYRIGHT are on top.

Ian, is this something that you would change (all upercase or first letter uppercase and rest lowercase) to make it consistant? And ordering as well.

Thanks again for great support.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar '20 - 17:48 »
I didn't quite understand this part about ISRC, "Cues section currently has only one line per-track containing the start time and PERFORMER and TITLE info". I can't see in .cue file that start time, PERFORMER and TITLE info are in one line?

I was referring to the "Cues" section in XMPlay's Message info window, shown when a CUE file is used. There's a single line for each "TRACK" entry there, with the rest being from the head of the CUE file.

I just noticed something else related to Messages tab in XMPlay.
For same cue sheet now I have in cues section:
Title:
Artist:
GENRE:
DATE:
CATALOG:
Track:

Notice that some of these are uppercase only and some lowercase with first letter as uppercase.

The uppercase ones will be from "REM" lines (or "CATALOG" now too) in the CUE file, which are shown as they are in the file. Title/Artist/Track is info that XMPlay has specifically processed from the CUE file. They should perhaps be changed to uppercase to match the others.

Also I noticed that for APE tags all are uppercase but for FLAC tags they are mixed as well, for example:
Title:
COMPOSER:
COPYRIGHT:
Album:
Artist:
Comment:
Genre:
DATE:
TRACKNUMBER

The case and order of APE and FLAC tags (and most other tag types too) is as they are in the file.

XMPlay could perhaps be made to change the case but there may be times when the tag is an acronym that should be left in uppercase. Although exotic characters are generally discouraged in tag names, they can technically be used and may be problematic regarding case formatting too.