Author Topic: Previous/next track doesn't work  (Read 231 times)

don47

Previous/next track doesn't work
« on: 29 Apr '20 - 19:42 »
Hello,

there is a strange problem with xmplay: 'previous track' and 'next track' are not working, neither via button on the UI nor with shortcuts. Also auto-advancing doesn't work (auto-advance is on). The player stops at the end of each track.

One exception: when i set a cue list (resulting in numbered tracks) everything works (button, shortcut, auto-advance), but obviously only in the 'forward' direction. After the last cued track xmplay stops and behaves as descibed above.

I didn't use xmplay for a couple of weeks and in the meantime there was a windows update, I installed a PCIe Card and a couple of software (one browser, update of a DAW, some audio plug ins).

I'm at a loss where to look for a solution. Has anybody an idea? Any suggestion would be very appreciated.
---
Windows 10 v1909 / same behaviour with xmplay 3.8.2.3 / 3.8.3.3 / 3.8.4

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Previous/next track doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: 1 May '20 - 15:34 »
That sounds strange. To check if it's something config-related, please try renaming your XMPLAY.INI file (before running XMPlay) for a reset and see if the problem still happens then. If that stops it, please also upload your original XMPLAY.INI file to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

don47

« Reply #2 on: 1 May '20 - 20:36 »
Hello Ian,

thank you very much for your help. Yes, that solved the issue.

You saved my day, as I often use XMPlay as a tool. Executing shortcuts and pointing on the position bar in quick succession allows for very fast and effective comparison of music tracks and versions.

I found the xmplay.ini at a strange location
c:\Users\xyz\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\ohne Installation\XMPlay\xmplay.ini
(ohne Installation = without installation)

After the app started in a reset state (new created ini file) I changed all settings to the values as befor. Everything is working correctly.

As you asked for, I uploaded the corrupt ini file onto your ftp server (don47_xmplay.ini). I don't know though whether the upload succeded.

Thanks again!

Don Lothair

Jace

« Reply #3 on: 4 May '20 - 11:16 »
Also sounds like the behaviour you get when you have something non-matching in 'Find Tracks' dialog, with 'Skip non-matching tracks' enabled

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 4 May '20 - 16:05 »
Yes, that does appear to be what happened, as the "Skip non-matching tracks" option is enabled in the uploaded XMPLAY.INI file.

don47

« Reply #5 on: 4 May '20 - 19:53 »
Thank you for your investigations. However I can't reproduce your suspicion:

You are meaning a ticked 'Skip non-matches' on the right-klick menu of the playlist's or extended list's find symbol? When I check/tick that, it doesn't lead to the initially observed malfunction, regardless of having the search field empty or with a search term with results or with a search term without results. And regardless of the find window open or not.

Anyway, 'my' XMPlay is now working as expected and I'm very happy. I like this player with all it's little functions quite a lot.

saga

« Reply #6 on: 4 May '20 - 21:03 »
Did you press the "Apply" button in the search window, though? That should make a difference (and also cause those tracks to be shown in a different color)

don47

« Reply #7 on: 5 May '20 - 02:43 »
Ah o.k., it does make a difference. I now can repeat the behavior of the player, which I considered an error.

Til now I have only used the search to look for what is buried in the 'safe' or to add found items to the playlist. I've never used the 'apply' button and wasn't aware, what it exactly does in combination with 'skip non-matches'.

What had happened? I had searched for an artist or a release, to see, what exactly I have. The results were found in the library, none of the search results were in the playlist and I didn't add them to it. Befor closing the search dialogue I must have accidently clicked 'apply'. That click remained unvisible, because the applied tracks weren't in the playlist. The list contained only 'non-matches', and thus the - for me - irritating behavior.

The command 'apply' remains active, also when adding or deleting items to/from the playlist or closing and reopening the app. This I find a bit weird. The only way to delete that command seems to be to open the search dialogue, clear the search field and then click 'apply' again. Of course, the solution in my case also would have been to untick 'skip non-matches'. Now I know...

Thank you very much for your help and effort, to shed light on this. Good to know that nothing mysterious is going on here.