Author Topic: What's in the main window?  (Read 154 times)

Nuno

What's in the main window?
« on: 25 Jul '20 - 18:01 »
Hi!
I know the title may look weird for some people but the thing is that I am a blind user and I don't know whether I cannot use the program (it's not accessible to my screnenreader) or I am incompetent. When I launch the program, the window's totally blank! I can't see nothing in it! I have loaded a folder by pressing Shift+O and selecting it from the list, I even managed to play some songs (what an achievement), but when I tried to move with the up and down arrow between the songs, I had to play every of them to know what I'm playing as my screenreader was not reading anything. Can something be done about it?

saga

Re: What's in the main window?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul '20 - 18:36 »
Yeah, sadly XMPlay isn't very screenreader-friendly. The main window would typically contain a playlist but XMPlay is completely custom-drawn, so screen readers will typically not pick that up. I think Foobar2000 might be a better fit for you, as its user interface is largely based on Windows components and thus should support accessbility out of the box.
Ian could probably add screenreader support to XMPlay (through the IAccessible2 COM interface) but I imagine it is a lot of work for a completely bitmap-based application.

Nuno

Re: What's in the main window?
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul '20 - 18:52 »
I use FOobar2000. I just liked how this particular software works. I wonder whether I could write a plugin myself, atleast to read a focused track.