Author Topic: A very weird problem with XMPlay  (Read 621 times)

Nuno

A very weird problem with XMPlay
« on: 19 Aug '20 - 11:16 »
Hello everyone! I have a very strange problem. Me and my friend have reinstalled our operating systems recently and installed XMPlay. What happened was that in the output area, there were only encoders and no actual audio devices. We had to install a DirectSound plugin to make the devices reappear. Are we missing something obvious?

saga

Re: A very weird problem with XMPlay
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug '20 - 12:12 »
Since you recently installed, I guess you are on Windows 10 version 2004. It could be related to this recent bugfix in XMPlay. If you download the latest version from the link in that post, you should see the the default output device again without having to install the DirectSound or WASAPI plugins.
@Ian: It might make sense to promote the current "stuff" version to the front page, as more and more people will upgrade to version 2004 in the next months, and might run into the same issue.

Nuno

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug '20 - 12:23 »
Thank you! It works elegantly now.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug '20 - 15:54 »
Yep, I think it would be best to release an XMPlay update for this, not just in the "Latest stuff" section. I will look into that this week.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug '20 - 18:08 »
Before releasing an update for the fix above, it would be good to also improve the filetype association support on Windows 10. Here's a little update that should do that:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

XMPlay and all of its supported formats (including plugins) should now be included in Windows 10's "Default apps" settings, and XMPlay's "Associated filetypes" list should reflect those settings. It should also still be possible to use the "Associated filetypes" option to associate filetypes that haven't been assigned to anything else yet, but when that isn't possible, XMPlay will display a notice and give the option of opening the "Default apps" settings. That all seems to working fine so far, but if you try this stuff and encounter any problems, please report them asap.

saga

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug '20 - 12:00 »
That all seems to working fine so far, but if you try this stuff and encounter any problems, please report them asap.
Seems to work as intended here.