Author Topic: Suggestions for 2.9/3.0  (Read 84269 times)

Pike84

Suggestions for 2.9/3.0
« on: 11 Sep '03 - 20:58 »
I thought this would have popped up sooner or later anyway, and I had a few ideas in my mind too, so here it is :).I also collected some noteworthy ideas from some recent topics. Just slap me silly, if I missed something important ;D.

-Multiple playlists!.
People who posted in "Tabbed playlist" thread seemed to be all go-go for this, and I've been brawling about it for way too long anyway :P. "If you don't like 'em, don't use 'em!" ;).

-ReplayGain support.
This is mainly to combat Foobar2000 obviously. I haven't had much use for it myself, though, but perhaps I'd start to use it if it was in my favourite player. Also, would be nice to be able to "replaygain" files then, like in fb2k.

-OR function support for Find Tracks.
Jace's little suggestion.

[edit]
-Always a help bubble on song change in tray
Ralesk's idea. Could be optional too ;).

[edit]
-A separate streaming buffer setting

[edit]
-More equalizer bands
Previously, this would have forced considerable changes to the GUI, but now that there's the new options dialog, some more bands could be added painlessly.

[edit]
-Support for Protracker 3.61 mods
Requested by Fraggie.

[edit]
-Ability to add user defined gaps between tracks
Guest Burn-X's suggestion. Would be useful in MD recordings for example.

[edit]
-Option to auto-scroll the playlist to currently playing song
Alexsource's idea. With scroll lock on, this works in the small playlist, but it'd be nice to have it in the big playlist too, and also it to have its own switch in options dialog.

[edit]
-Add a link for support site to the left frame of the page
Not really a suggestion for the player, but anyway.. I think it's a good idea, so that people would find their way there more easily - especially now that Keltic has made many improvements again :).

[edit]
-Option to only show full seconds in timer

...which reminded me of
-Crossfade
Several people have suggested this over time and I see no reason why it shouldn't be added.

An "undo" button for list editing
Sometimes you wish you hadn't removed the bunch of tracks from the list :).

Now, let's just see how soon Ian gets off from developing BASS, and getting these done :). Comments about these and of course other new suggestions are welcome.

Already fulfilled suggestions :):

-Playing history.
I think sometimes, especially with big playlists, it'd be nice to see what has been played recently. Showing something like 10-20 last played tracks would be nice.

-More hotkeys.
I think Ian was going to add some more of them anyway, but oh well.

-Select all in playlist.
Would be nice. Ctrl+a is probably most logical, as it's that in Explorer too.

-Add the contents of "auto-load settings" button to options dialog too
..for clarity.

-Fade on end of tracks
Ralesk's suggestion.
"Would work brilliantly with such modules that are meant to be looped, but you don't want to loop them more than once (Auto-loop + Only once).  This used to be a feature in 1.x, now it's not.
[/s]

-DSP plugin support
Almost forgot this one. Of course everyone would like to have support for Winamp's DSP plugins, no?

-Always-on-top switch
At the moment, XMPlay is always on top, only while in mini mode. A basic switch would be nice.

-A chance to see the length of selected tracks
By right-clicking a group of tracks, for example.

« Last Edit: 29 Sep '04 - 17:00 by Pike84 »

Zarggg

Re:Suggestions for 2.9/3.0
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep '03 - 21:44 »
-Playing history.
I think sometimes, especially with big playlists, it'd be nice to see what has been played recently. Showing something like 10-20 last played tracks would be nice.

Something like this would be essential for a better random-track system, I think. Keep track of which track was played when and where in the playlist it fell.

Dex4now

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep '03 - 22:12 »
Resizable playlist and ability to "clear" the playlist are the two main issues that keep me from using XMplay more.  The first being more important than the second.

Dex

(Although, I like it a lot better now that I have some other issues worked out.)   ;)
« Last Edit: 11 Sep '03 - 22:15 by Dex4now »

Irrational86

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep '03 - 22:19 »
There IS a resizable playlist, and there IS a clear playlist option...

To open the resizable playlist, click the Track Info button (and select Extended Playlist from one of the top buttons), or press F5 to open the Extended Playlist directly....

To clear the playlist, right click the remove track button and a menu will drop down, which one of the options is Remove All

Dex4now

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep '03 - 01:18 »
Thanks XMinioNX;  Now I'm running out of excuses to not use this thing.   ;D

Dex

SylphID

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep '03 - 11:26 »
Gapless playback?

Zarggg

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep '03 - 15:02 »
Gapless playback?

Being worked on. Give him time. ;)

Philidor11

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep '03 - 20:12 »

To open the resizable playlist, click the Track Info button (and select Extended Playlist from one of the top buttons), or press F5 to open the Extended Playlist directly....

You mean the 'Track Info/Vis' button?  Or is it still just 'Info'? ;)

Pike84

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep '03 - 20:08 »
Added DSP plugin support suggestion, to the initial post..

Knurek

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep '03 - 08:55 »
'Sort on Load' option would be nice, eh?

Oh, and support for showing the Composer tag, when the Author tag isn't set (streamed files of course)

Torkell

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep '03 - 19:06 »
Gapless playback?

Being worked on. Give him time. ;)
He's doing well. It's now short, but *exactly* the right length to be annoying ;D

Pike84

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep '03 - 17:01 »
Are you talking about mp3s, by the way? I just noticed a while ago, that although unlike mp3s, mpc:s should be gapless by nature, XMPlay doesn't play them completely gaplessly ???.

Good suggestion

« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep '03 - 17:32 »
The ability to change the size of the buffer for streaming, like in winamp would be a great improvement for streaming quality. When I use XMplay I get constant rebuffering but when I increase the buffer in winamp everything is perfect.

Pike84

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep '03 - 12:35 »
It's already possible to change the buffer length. RTFM ;).

spankdaddy

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep '03 - 01:18 »
Sorry about the previous buffer post, I mean some sort of streaming buffer that only affects files played from a url, where you can set an arbitrary number of bytes to buffer before playback. Sorry to keep referencing winamp but its easier for me to explain that way. The buffer setting as it is in XMplay is global and delays all effects i.e equalizer and songs stored locally which don't really need the extra buffer. It's just a suggestion not a demand so don't kill me.  

Pike84

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep '03 - 15:02 »
Ok, that sounds reasonable :). I haven't actually touched the buffer setting at all, nor streamed much music from the net, because of my slow connection. My bad really.

[edit]Um.. By the way, how do you mean it affects songs stored locally? At least it doesn't delay song changing.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep '03 - 00:42 by Pike84 »

Knurek

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep '03 - 08:01 »
And what about my suggestions? Are they really that bad? Or did they just go unnoticed? :P

Zarggg

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep '03 - 17:40 »
Sorry about the previous buffer post, I mean some sort of streaming buffer that only affects files played from a url, where you can set an arbitrary number of bytes to buffer before playback. Sorry to keep referencing winamp but its easier for me to explain that way. The buffer setting as it is in XMplay is global and delays all effects i.e equalizer and songs stored locally which don't really need the extra buffer. It's just a suggestion not a demand so don't kill me.  

Do you mean the buffer on the in_mp3.dll Plugin?

mklp

« Reply #18 on: 30 Sep '03 - 03:43 »
OK, I actually signed in this time using my registered name. I might as well use it so my posts are consistent. Here's my whiny lil' list. (this is the same dude that posted about the streaming buffer)

1. Automatically output at the same sample rate and resolution as the file being played, i.e if I have a wave thats 22050 8 bit XMplay should play it at that rate and depth and not whatever I have it set to in the XMplay device settings.

2. Ability to add drive as directory in playlist. Meaning when I select add directory in the playlist I can select for instance a cd drive and play all files located on it without manually selecting all of them.

3. Aforementioned streaming buffer

Pike84

« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep '03 - 16:44 »
You didn't answer this about the buffer behaviour yet (probably left unnoticed, as I added it afterwards):

[edit]Um.. By the way, how do you mean it affects songs stored locally? At least it doesn't delay song changing.

Torkell

« Reply #20 on: 30 Sep '03 - 19:47 »
1. Automatically output at the same sample rate and resolution as the file being played, i.e if I have a wave thats 22050 8 bit XMplay should play it at that rate and depth and not whatever I have it set to in the XMplay device settings.
I believe XMPlay already does this.
2. Ability to add drive as directory in playlist. Meaning when I select add directory in the playlist I can select for instance a cd drive and play all files located on it without manually selecting all of them.
Right-click on the add button. pick add directory and select a folder. There's a recurse folders option to grab everything under a certain folder.

Jace

« Reply #21 on: 1 Oct '03 - 07:29 »
Wishlist entry (n+1)
Nicer audio cd playing thingy, including ability to play the tracks on a game cd (for example) without excess fiddling.. ::)

mklp

« Reply #22 on: 1 Oct '03 - 17:15 »

Nope, it does not, try it yourself. Make a 22050 8 bit file or something of low quality that you can hear and play it using the default in the device panel (forgot what the default is, but something around 44100-48000 16 bit), it sounds gorgeous. Now manually switch it to what it should be, it now sounds like it should. By default XMplay resamples anything you feed it to whatever you set in the device panel. (well at least waves and mp3's)

2. Wrong again
Right-click on the add button. pick add directory and select a folder. There's a recurse folders option to grab everything under a certain folder.

It does not add files in the root directory of cd's or any other drive for that matter, Read my original post again
« Last Edit: 1 Oct '03 - 17:17 by mklp »

Pike84

« Reply #23 on: 1 Oct '03 - 17:32 »
It does not add files in the root directory of cd's or any other drive for that matter

You are mistaken. It does add whole directories, just like Boggy said. Just make sure you have "Sub-directories" ticked too.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 1 Oct '03 - 17:49 »
All suggestions/requests will be considered when it's 3.0 time, but just to clarify a couple of things now :) ...

Nope, it does not, try it yourself. Make a 22050 8 bit file or something of low quality that you can hear and play it using the default in the device panel (forgot what the default is, but something around 44100-48000 16 bit), it sounds gorgeous. Now manually switch it to what it should be, it now sounds like it should. By default XMplay resamples anything you feed it to whatever you set in the device panel. (well at least waves and mp3's)

2. Wrong again

It does not add files in the root directory of cd's or any other drive for that matter, Read my original post again

Actually, I believe Boggy is right on both counts.

The sample rate setting only applies to MODs (they do not have a predefined sample rate), as mentioned in the device options page. Everything else is played at whatever rate it's meant to be.

I tried adding a CD to the playlist just now, and all playable files from all directories were added to the list. Check that you have the latest version. (2.8.3)