Author Topic: ? Tempo plugin/Pacemaker crashes  (Read 11828 times)

Alec Soroudi

? Tempo plugin/Pacemaker crashes
« on: 18 Apr '04 - 21:59 »
  Hi,

Is there an XMPlay compatible tempo dsp plugin?  I tried using PaceMaker but if I add it and enable it, then XMPlay crashes as soon I as start playing a file.  It does not crash if it is not enabled.  I really want to use XMPlay instead of Winamp but I need a tempo control plugin (pitch/speed would be nice too).

thanks

Alec Soroudi

Re:? Tempo plugin/Pacemaker crashes
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr '04 - 22:03 »
  Oh, and yes, I know that Pacemaker crashes because the current wrapper doesn't support plugins that change the speed.  That's why I'm looking for a tempo changing plugin for XMPlay.

bigjim

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr '04 - 07:49 »
I was looking through the xmplay dsp sdk example - and i quote from the header:

// The Process function currently must return the same amount of data as it is given - it can't
// shorten/stretch the sound. This restriction may (or may not ;)) be lifted in future.

^^I guess this means it isnt possible to do it with an xm play plugin yet- but correct me if im wrong ;)

Alec Soroudi

« Reply #3 on: 28 May '04 - 01:46 »
  Yeah, that's exactly what is says in the wrapper notes as well.  So XMPlay doesn't support changing the speed at ALL?!  That's not good.  I certainly hope they support it soon because a lot of songs are just too slow for my taste, and I don't like Winamp (at least not nearly as much as XMPlay, it's just not as light and sleek.)

Jace

« Reply #4 on: 28 May '04 - 05:01 »
Um, if I had a song which was way too slow for me, I wouldn't listen to it! :P
But then again, you could open 'em up in cooledit (or similar if they're streams) or a tracker prog (if they're tracked) and speed 'em up that way, so they would always stay faster..
But imo that would just stuff the song up 99% of the time, but it's your cake, not mine ;D

Synetech

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep '04 - 22:54 »
  There's lots of songs that are good but too slow.  I like Barenaked Ladies songs because they are fast, but I like to see how fast I can play them and still manage to sing the lyrics correctly.

Modifying them is not ideal at all.  Currently, whenever I need to speed songs up I use Winamp and Pacemaker.  That is the one thing that I still use Winamp for.  If XMPlay can support changing the tempo then I would not need WA anymore at all.

Synetech

Re: ? Tempo plugin/Pacemaker crashes
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov '05 - 22:37 »
Any progress on this?  Are there even plans to support it?  *fingers crossed*   ;D

Tsorovan

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov '05 - 13:51 »
I'd also like to see a Chronotron-style native plugin for some quick 'n' dirty transcribing/playing-along-to purposes... only reason I still have Winamp installed, and we can't have that now can we?
« Last Edit: 21 Nov '05 - 21:49 by Tsorovan »

Brian

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug '06 - 17:34 »
Anything in the pipeline, please? Pacemaker doesn't crash XMPlay on my system, it just causes a horrendous noise and nothing else to come from my speakers. Many thanks.

Synetech

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug '06 - 18:38 »
I really hope that it can be supported one day.  I love fast music but slowing audio down is useful too.  I recently had to fire up Winamp/Pacemaker to slow down the audio I extracted from a video so that I could transcribe the conversation which had several people talking over each other very fast.   :)

Of course my main use would be to speed up music.  I know of Barenaked Ladies, Blues Treveller, Jason Mraz, Swollen Members, and Lyrics Born.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug '06 - 14:11 »
Anything in the pipeline, please?

Nope, I'm afraid that (allowing DSP plugins to change the length) is not currently on the list. It may happen in future, but it's unlikely to be in the next version.

Brian

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug '06 - 21:55 »
Ian - thanks for replying. Without blinding me with science, what's the relationship between the current XMPlay situation and what it says in the thread below, please?

https://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=571.0

Thanks again.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug '06 - 13:57 »
XMPlay uses the soundcard output position (ie. the amount of data played) for timing purposes, so if plugins were allowed to shorten/lengthen the track (ie. change the amount of data that's played), it would complicate things a bit. It may happen in future, but I have to say there are other things higher up the list :)

Synetech

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct '12 - 05:24 »
Any change in the past six years?

VLC lets you speed videos up, so I cannot watch them at normal speed anymore; I always watch everything at 130%-200%.

I really hope XMPlay can add a tempo-modification function because listening to audio at normal speed is just as tedious (I like music, but having to spend >60 minutes to listen to a whole album is painful when there’s another album queued behind it—let alone non-music audio).

I see that I am not the only interested in this either because it appears in most of the feature-request/suggestion threads.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct '12 - 13:42 »
No, I'm afraid nothing has changed regarding this (it's still not possible for DSP plugins to change the amount of data).

1up

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec '15 - 02:20 »
would really like to see this

piovrauz

« Reply #16 on: 21 Dec '15 - 16:49 »
I would like to point out that if yo ulisten something like music at faster speed you're no more listening to it, you're skimming throug it. Basically you're not hearing the music as intended. If you have not enough time, maybe you're trying to listen to too much or just don't really know the meaning of listening to music...