Author Topic: Wishlist for XMPlay 3.2  (Read 91788 times)

Tsorovan

Re:Wishlist for XMPlay 3.2
« Reply #25 on: 9 Aug '04 - 16:15 »
The "media library" (not really) system I suggested before on this forum a couple of times worked almost exactly like the STP thing, only it had a few more features (virtual directory striping).

http://un4seen.com/forum/?board=2;action=display;threadid=1388;start=msg7579#msg7579
[scroll down to the picture]
« Last Edit: 9 Aug '04 - 16:22 by Tsorovan »

Tsorovan

« Reply #26 on: 10 Aug '04 - 21:23 »
Let "Write to Disk" in the track context menu double as an automatic chooser of the WAV Writer and writing the module to disk with the default settings. It's always annoying having to manually change the output device and stuff for the odd track.

I actually thought this was what it was supposed to do but I forgot about its existence until a few days ago (I very rarely right-click tracks in the playlist since I control pretty much everything with the keyboard—faster that way).

One foreseeable quirk is determining whether to use the WAV Writer, Normalized WAV Writer or the Externals... I guess one could have a "Default Disk Writer" setting in the Options and Stuff dialog...
« Last Edit: 11 Aug '04 - 01:46 by Tsorovan »

alk

« Reply #27 on: 11 Aug '04 - 12:22 »
My only wish for xmplay is that when using random playlist, pressing previous song brings you to the last one played (not another random song)

:-)

alk

Denister

« Reply #28 on: 11 Aug '04 - 15:13 »
Wery useful options:  
 1/ "Turn off PC after End of playback" - can be added to popup menu on tray (flag item)
 3/ "Group rename files" (using ID3 tags V1 & V2)
 4/  editing ID3 tags

From Russia with love :)

Torkell

« Reply #29 on: 11 Aug '04 - 15:24 »
4/  editing ID3 tags
That's currently possible using the OGG and MP3 plugins - see the support site. But yes, internal support for tag editing would be nice. So would native MIDI support ;D
« Last Edit: 11 Aug '04 - 15:27 by BoggyB »

Zarggg

« Reply #30 on: 11 Aug '04 - 17:50 »
Bring back the BPM/Speed and "active instruments" (or whatever it was) display for modules. ;D

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #31 on: 11 Aug '04 - 17:51 »
:P what do you mean bring it back, its still in.

The skin your using might not allow it though. :-X

Zarggg

« Reply #32 on: 11 Aug '04 - 17:53 »
The default skin and 2.x skin don't show it; that's why I assumed it was removed.

Either that, or it doesn't work for MO3.

Roj

« Reply #33 on: 11 Aug '04 - 21:13 »
I second the request for "Kernel Streaming Output" as a choice in preferences.

Streaming the sounddata outside the OS, from softdecoder directly to soundcard, bypassing the trunctuating kmixer.sys.

Using the shortest possible signal path through kernel streaming out, i am shure would together with its awesome decoder (i´ll be damned it it doesnt sound better than madplug), would give XMplay the edge, delivering the highest possible fidelity, clearness, naturalness, dynamic and unpoluted by kmixer.sys, as good as it gets  :-* Yummi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how using a different output system can affect the sound quality. The only thing you could posssibly change would be any delays in the system, which would be so small as to be unnoticeable. You don't have a noticeable delay between doing something in UT and hearing the sound, and that doesn't use DirectSound by defualt.

1)  Kernel streaming is a hack and due to be phased out in the next Windows release.

2)  The audio quality differences between kernel streaming or ASIO and kmixer.dll are massively exaggerated.  It is true that some audio cards (*cough*Creative Labs*cough*) do benefit somewhat from this but that's largely due to deficiencies in those products rather than any problems with kmixer.

There's a lot of religion about this nonsense but in the real world it doesn't especially amount to a hill of beans.  The majority of the kmixer issues were fixed in the last round of service packs for both XP and Win2K over a year ago and M-Audio had a hand in the fixing.  I have a M-Audio Revolution 7.1.  This is arguably one of the cleanest consumer cards on the market and easily above any of the CL fodder.  It supports true ASIO and not the CL flavor thereof.  I can't discern any differences in playback between ASIO and kmixer and that's even running it through a more than respectable home system.

In short, it's mostly hype in a consumer setting.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug '04 - 22:12 by Roj »

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #34 on: 12 Aug '04 - 02:55 »
I was just thinking, whats the point of it if XMPlay already sounds that good already. :)

The default skin and 2.x skin don't show it; that's why I assumed it was removed.

You do mean this right? :-X

Torkell

« Reply #35 on: 12 Aug '04 - 11:15 »

I can confirm that it works with an MO3 of Thanatos Minor (originally an IT) and the flatline skin.

Alexsource

« Reply #36 on: 12 Aug '04 - 15:15 »
About random... i've noticed with earlier versions (up to 3.0.8, haven't tested 3.1.x enough), that xmplay has a thing for random playing tracks in the same directory or compressed files (.zip or .rar). It is quite noticeable... I think i've mentioned this before, but i'm not sure :P
Some support for several other formats would be nice :D, especially a plugin for med/octamed/etc. !!!! The only one wich works in xmplay is the modplug one, unfortunately, It doesn't play all of then meds/octameds/etc. in the right way  :-\ (tempo issues, sample recognition issues and the like)
It also would be cool if someone gave it a try at the xmplay dsp sdk. Is there anyone developing a native xmplay dsp plugin?  ???
I'm not very good at programming, so  :'( , plus, it's been time sice i last touched C :P

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #37 on: 12 Aug '04 - 15:31 »
About random...  It is quite noticeable... I think i've mentioned this before, but i'm not sure :P
Maybe your just really really lucky. ;D

Some support for several other formats would be nice :D, especially a plugin for med/octamed/etc. !!!! The only one wich works in xmplay is the modplug one, unfortunately, It doesn't play all of then meds/octameds/etc. in the right way  :-\ (tempo issues, sample recognition issues and the like)
It also would be cool if someone gave it a try at the xmplay dsp sdk. Is there anyone developing a native xmplay dsp plugin?  ???
I'm not very good at programming, so  :'( , plus, it's been time sice i last touched C :P
The pity is (AFAIK) the source for the med plugin is there for anyone who knows how to change its output method could get it to work.

You know if there was enough interest. Or to be precise, enough people who could/wanted to write plugins for XMPlay. It could even use its own (most likely 10x cleaner) input plugin architecture instead.

Ah well, no point talking about it until such coding type people come out of hiding. ::)

(Note: There is no input plugin sdk at the moment but it could be a possibility is what I mean.).

Zarggg

« Reply #38 on: 12 Aug '04 - 17:49 »
Yes, that's what I mean... maybe I'm going insane... :-\

Tsorovan

« Reply #39 on: 12 Aug '04 - 21:03 »
Umm, I just noticed when I accidentally skipped a track in the playlist (with the spacebar)—a thing I don't have a use for—that we need a font_ thing for that. Presently it uses what, font_listnum? If you're designed a special font for the playlist numbers and the file format column (as I have, for my skin), there's really no need to spend time designing every single glyph in the font, especially not now with the Unicode support. So I hope you see the need for a separate font_ var for this.

In fact, make separate font_ settings for every single field and "status", please. And I mean all possible ones, like color, size, bold, align.

Apologies to any possible Miniskin users (yeah, right) for this, I just didn't know.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug '04 - 21:04 by Tsorovan »

fernsx

« Reply #40 on: 14 Aug '04 - 06:00 »
abbility to place any button or function from the output and playlist panel in the main panel, and at the same time having both panels scrolling, obviously without the functions  that were used in the main panel.

example: a playlist panel, without the add, remove, random, save list, loop list buttons (bacause they are all gonna be in the main panel)

id really wish to see the main songtitle scrolling.

some bitmaps fonts

panels also scrolling down

that way it'll go mmmmmmmmmm... perfect

nomore

Tsorovan

« Reply #41 on: 14 Aug '04 - 06:15 »

I can confirm that it works with an MO3 of Thanatos Minor (originally an IT) and the flatline skin.
Yeah that's not good. Those numbers need to be separate fields... or it seriously restricts certain skins (or they'll be missing them... I forgot about the existence of those thingies meself).

I agree with fernsx... it's not far from being "perfect". Engine-wise just some stuff like ASIO output and other small thingies, and well, quite a bit in the skinning system... (more generalized, some enhancements and extensions...) definitely getting there anyway. So nice to see a program evolve and actually not become bloated with crap over the years.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug '04 - 06:27 by Tsorovan »

Torkell

« Reply #42 on: 14 Aug '04 - 11:13 »
Engine-wise just some stuff like ASIO output...
I still don't think that using ASIO output or something will help. Using DirectSound might, as then DSP volume and balance can have instant effect as opposed to the delay that using the buffer forces, but ASIO would be overkill. I mean, it's designed for things like Cubasis and Sebilius (sp?), not a general-purpose media player.
You've still got to convince me of how ASIO/kernel streaming will make a significant difference ;D

So nice to see a program evolve and actually not become bloated with crap over the years.
So unlike the Windows that we've all come to know and hate ;D

Sami

« Reply #43 on: 14 Aug '04 - 16:38 »
Why is it overkill with ASIO? I dont think its more difficult then adding directx support. Probably even simpler... Knowing that microsoft based DirectX on COM objects.

Sure the drawback is that many dont have soundcards with asio drivers but otherwise there arent any drawbacks. :) And you said yourself that you could get rid of the buffer with DX and the same goes for ASIO as you know...
« Last Edit: 14 Aug '04 - 16:42 by Sami »

Sami

« Reply #44 on: 14 Aug '04 - 17:38 »
Oh it seems like somone has made an ASIO plugin for Winamp and some other players and the sourcecode is available with the plugin so it should be easy to use. :)

By the way the volume control in Winamp 5 stops working when using this. And that would not be a problem in XMPlay since there is DSP Volume. Perfect!

This is the link to the plugin+sourcecode.
http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/out_asio(dll)_046.zip
« Last Edit: 14 Aug '04 - 17:40 by Sami »

Torkell

« Reply #45 on: 14 Aug '04 - 21:20 »
Why is it overkill with ASIO? I dont think its more difficult then adding directx support. Probably even simpler... Knowing that microsoft based DirectX on COM objects.
As a VB programmer I quite like the way DirectX is based on COM. Makes it all relatively easy in VB, whereas using a API instead (with lots of Declares) would be harder.

Sure the drawback is that many dont have soundcards with asio drivers but otherwise there arent any drawbacks.
That's a big drawback if you've got a choice between an SB 128 or the onboard VIA AC'97 of about the same vintage (neither of which come with ASIO as far as I know).

And you said yourself that you could get rid of the buffer with DX and the same goes for ASIO as you know...
Still overkill in my books to use ASIO. You'll have to do bettewr than that to convince me of the use for ASIO in XMPlay ;D

Sami

« Reply #46 on: 14 Aug '04 - 23:20 »
I have never coded anything with VB, only with C++, played a little with directX. And i cant say i liked it. I have always preferred OpenGL for 3d graphics for example... I always use as little DX as i can possibly get away with.

Anyway maybe XMPlay should have output plugins, is there any specific reason it doesnt have this?

Tsorovan

« Reply #47 on: 15 Aug '04 - 00:09 »
Ummm... no one's saying it should have ASIO output only and nothing to fall back on. How retarded do you think we are? Personally I like low latency because it's... nice. But that's me.

Anyhow, can we finally have a dockable/magnetic Info window in v3.2? Personally I think it's long overdue but now I'm being a bit mean.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug '04 - 00:13 by Tsorovan »

Roj

« Reply #48 on: 15 Aug '04 - 00:24 »
Ummm... no one's saying it should have ASIO output only and nothing to fall back on. How retarded do you think we are? Personally I like low latency because it's... nice. But that's me.

I never implied that ASIO should be the only ouput option.  However, I am saying that unless you are a musician or do extensive audio editing, low latency is pretty much irrelevant.  I'm also saying that the vast majority of the claims surrounding it in a consumer environment (especially those involving playback of lossy codecs on computer speakers) are hype.

No biggie - be well... :)

Alexsource

« Reply #49 on: 15 Aug '04 - 01:56 »
How about a "Sort by track number" ? ;) obviously, i mean the Idv tags. For exampla: you have a big playlist with several albums, so, the filenames don't have the track number so when you added then to the playlist, they appeared  in alphabetical order, which is ok, but, wouldn't you want to have then in the right order? Even if you're using ramdon, for tidyness sake. Instead of playing each track so you can see the tags and then move it in the correct position in the playlist, you could just select the tracks, right click on the ramdon playback button and select "Sort by track numbre", and xmplay would automatically look into the tags and change the tracks positions in the playlist :D