Author Topic: Wishlist for XMPlay 3.2  (Read 91789 times)

Tsorovan

Re:Wishlist for XMPlay 3.2
« Reply #50 on: 15 Aug '04 - 02:35 »
Ummm... no one's saying it should have ASIO output only and nothing to fall back on. How retarded do you think we are? Personally I like low latency because it's... nice. But that's me.

I never implied that ASIO should be the only ouput option.  However, I am saying that unless you are a musician or do extensive audio editing, low latency is pretty much irrelevant.  I'm also saying that the vast majority of the claims surrounding it in a consumer environment (especially those involving playback of lossy codecs on computer speakers) are hype.

No biggie - be well... :)
Sure, sure. Just checking, since that's sort of what it sounded like heh. You have a point but... see, XMPlay is pretty much the only thing that keeps me from disabling the Windows Audio service completely : ) Imagine ASIO only... that's a pretty nice dream, no?

Torkell

« Reply #51 on: 15 Aug '04 - 10:52 »
Ummm... no one's saying it should have ASIO output only and nothing to fall back on. How retarded do you think we are? Personally I like low latency because it's... nice. But that's me.

I never implied that ASIO should be the only ouput option.  However, I am saying that unless you are a musician or do extensive audio editing, low latency is pretty much irrelevant.  I'm also saying that the vast majority of the claims surrounding it in a consumer environment (especially those involving playback of lossy codecs on computer speakers) are hype.

Sure, sure. Just checking, since that's sort of what it sounded like heh. You have a point but... see, XMPlay is pretty much the only thing that keeps me from disabling the Windows Audio service completely : ) Imagine ASIO only... that's a pretty nice dream, no?
No  ;D

Never meant to offend anyone, but I just didn't see the point myself and if only people with high-end sound cards are going to be able to use it (an Audigy is high-end compared to AC'97 or SB128), then it's probably not worth doing. But that's just my opinion.

On another note, what happened to the petition for native MIDI support?
« Last Edit: 15 Aug '04 - 11:21 by BoggyB »

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #52 on: 15 Aug '04 - 11:16 »
No  ;D
:P I'm not exactly after it either, still don't see the point when we already have the best quality out there without it. Just seems unnecessary.

On another note, what happened to the petition for native MIDI support?
Think it gave way to the "use a plugin for it" petition. ;D
« Last Edit: 15 Aug '04 - 11:17 by Keltic Danor »

Roj

« Reply #53 on: 15 Aug '04 - 14:07 »

It's coming.  Longhorn will have a totally revamped Kernel Streaming hack formalized properly as an API with none of the kinks the current retroactive abortion has.  At that point, it's highly llikely that ASIO will no longer be necessary.

fernsx

« Reply #54 on: 16 Aug '04 - 07:27 »
Anyhow, can we finally have a dockable/magnetic Info window in v3.2? Personally I think it's long overdue but now I'm being a bit mean.

hope so   ;)

daddyvx

« Reply #55 on: 17 Aug '04 - 01:24 »
How about a "Sort by track number" ? ;) obviously, i mean the Idv tags. For exampla: you have a big playlist with several albums, so, the filenames don't have the track number so when you added then to the playlist, they appeared  in alphabetical order, which is ok, but, wouldn't you want to have then in the right order? Even if you're using ramdon, for tidyness sake. Instead of playing each track so you can see the tags and then move it in the correct position in the playlist, you could just select the tracks, right click on the ramdon playback button and select "Sort by track numbre", and xmplay would automatically look into the tags and change the tracks positions in the playlist :D

You're right! I even mentioned this on several occasions to the "un4seen developers guild" on this forum but apparently that did not really hold their attention.
Even this s..t of Winamp can do it, since a long time : "When loading multiples files, sort files by name".
Included in next version, I hope so.

Tsorovan

« Reply #56 on: 17 Aug '04 - 01:26 »
You have my support, my good man (doesn't help you really, other than raising the morale, but that's not too bad!).
« Last Edit: 17 Aug '04 - 01:27 by Tsorovan »

Svante

« Reply #57 on: 20 Aug '04 - 13:18 »
Winamp Visualization plugins... Milkdrop for XMPlay  ;D

fernsx

« Reply #58 on: 22 Aug '04 - 07:56 »
if bmp images instead system font files files (*.ttf *.fnt *.font, etc) is too tough to do for ALL the font, why not trying to adding bmp image for MAIN TIMER numbers font? its only 13   digits:  0123456789.:-
this would allow nice things to do like fitting the font background with the main panel, smooth fonts without enabling the font smooth option from windows ( for the guys like me who wants to save system resources)  :P

Tsorovan

ATTN XMPLAY MENZ
« Reply #59 on: 22 Aug '04 - 14:37 »
Here's an immense list. It's not for v3.2 really, just... future versions. I will add to this as time passes (and hopefully remove stuff from it as it gets implemented). Bear with me. Some you've seen before... some are new. All are awesome! Hehe.
    ===============IMPORTANT==================
[*]Tenth of seconds optional.                                           :D
===============/IMPORTANT==================
[*]"Don't add duplicate files/same file multiple times/remove duplicates/whatever you want to call it" option.
[*]Magnetic/dockable panels.
[*]ASIO output.
[*]Playlist track numbering optional.
[*] http://un4seen.com/forum/?board=2;action=display;threadid=3022;start=msg20352#msg20352
[*]Make separate font_ settings for every single field and "status", please. And I mean all possible ones, like color, size, bold, align (and shadowstuffs).
[*]This might be a tricky one. Virtually "cut up" cuesheet songs (regardless of format... plugin-played ones too) into tracks in the playlist with the correct tags brought in from the .cue. And this is sort of a personal request... I don't like tags so I always use filename display... which would suck for this (filename would just be c:\mongoloidmusic\retardsong.flac,numericoffset) ... so, have alternate Track Display formatting for albums with cuesheets?
[*]Let Write to Disk in the track context menu double as an automatic chooser of the WAV Writer and write the module to disk with the default settings. It's always annoying having to manually change the output device and stuff for the odd track. One foreseeable quirk is determining whether to use the WAV Writer, Normalized WAV Writer or the Externals... I guess one could have a "Default Disk Writer" setting in the Options and Stuff dialog...
[*]BUG: You can't select, double-click or otherwise manipulate (with the mouse) the last (100th) track in view (in the playlist).
[*]Find Tracks dialog should be separate from the Options and Stuff dialog. An additional, more specialized dialog like Winamp's "Jump to Track" dialog would also be nice, with quick-filtering. A la this thread:
      http://un4seen.com/forum/?board=2;action=display;threadid=2888;start=msg18904#msg18904
[*]Wordwrap in the Info -> Message & Generalscreen (ID3 tags, Title, Path... whatever. Everything applicable). http://un4seen.com/forum/?board=2;action=display;threadid=2620
        I can't see it working here...
[*]"Disable flashing time display when paused" option.
[*]Jack up the Pattern View vis. refresh rate. Maybe even making it an option?
[*]Shorter tooltip delay if possible (possibly hardcoded in Windows?).
[*]How about a simple option for changing all the erroneous "db" and "hz" (I acknowledge the reasoning behind it) to the correct "dB" and "Hz"? :)   Very minor thing.

[*]Umm... DSP Volume/Balance should really be mirrored in the Options & Stuff -> DSP thingy.
[*]Options and Stuff redesign. Tree control or like Photoshop CS's.
        http://un4seen.com/forum/?board=2;action=display;threadid=1923;start=msg15901#msg15901
[*]Right-hand side Playlist track count... let it show amount of files selected (when there's a selection) instead of which number track you're on.

Overhaul of the skinning system:
[*]General, non-fixed amount of extendable panels.
[*]Info window is also a panel
[*]Panels are switchable (buttons, hover, focus).
[*]Panels within panels
[*]Every control should be able to have translucency (maybe even 8-bit alpha (PNG)?)
[*]Control reservoir all controls should be available from all panels, but be able to be unique to respective panel  (panel_main.play.bmp, panel_extended_windowshade.play.bmp).
[*]All controls should have optional multiple states in the image file: on/normal, (off), hover, pressed.
[*]A secondary transparency state (as a special colour) in the masks that would be a "dead area", as in: not being an "active/highlighted" area in the controls (but change with the states). Good for text or lights or whatever being changed somewhere when you press a "button" for example, or making it possible to make buttons/fields alter shape, in a fashion.
[*]Overlappable control areas. Could maybe be accomplished by using another specialty colour in the panel masks. If two areas are adjoined by the special colour, it'll treat it as a control extension to both of those (and also naturally, by default, a "dead area"). Rough example. there aren't currently really any controls that behave like this but... I hope you can see the possibilities.
[*]Bitmap font support.
[*]The Info Display isn't flexible enough (from a free-form skinning standpoint). Would be nice if one could divide it up into its components like format, bitrate, sample rate and so forth. I'm aware of plugins sending their own info though, but not _how_ it's done... so... yeah, this might be stupid.
[*]Simple fix for now: Info window Playlist background bitmaps (UL, top, UR, left, LL, bottom, LR, right, UR, centre, if wanting to be really fancy).
[*]Fillable sliders! http://coolplayer.sourceforge.net/gfx/preview.gif Would be great if it could contain "dead areas" too (more or less everything should be able to).
[*]All sliders should have the option of being either vertical or horizontal.
[*]Simple text shadow. fontBLABLA_shadow 0/1, fontBLABLA_shadowX/Yoffset +/-, fontBLABLA_shadowcolor
[/list]
Remember: options, options, options! Some things you might not agree with and that's fine. I'm all for options.
« Last Edit: 6 Sep '04 - 22:45 by Tsorovan »

Torkell

« Reply #60 on: 22 Aug '04 - 15:00 »
I still can't think of anything that ASIO support would add. And Tsorovan, you could just have asked for XML-based skinning (like in WiMP) ;D

Anyway...
Feature Request: Native MIDI support (using whatever method works best). It existed (sort of) once, and it can exist again! ;D

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #61 on: 22 Aug '04 - 16:22 »
you could just have asked for XML-based skinning (like in WiMP) ;D

Would spell the end for any Kelt type skins :-X the sole reason I make any at all is because its easy.

Edit: Speaking of which...

It sounds like if all these new enhancements are all built into the current system it's going to get very complicated and messy in order to maintain compatibility with old skins.

Which I don't think is particularly a good idea... Perhaps the whole skinning system would need a rewrite for any major changes.

But no XML or scripts please. ::)
« Last Edit: 22 Aug '04 - 16:33 by Keltic Danor »

Tsorovan

« Reply #62 on: 22 Aug '04 - 16:29 »
BoggyB: *shrug*
No, I don't like skinning systems where you need to type a whole goddamn essay for them to work. Especially not XML which is barely humanly readable. I believe it's possible to extend the current skinning system, using the same paradigm... just some additional stuff might have to be written (as flags or variables) by hand, but certainly no script code and no shitty coordinate twiddling.

Fuck the old skins. No, really. : )
« Last Edit: 22 Aug '04 - 16:33 by Tsorovan »

fernsx

« Reply #63 on: 24 Aug '04 - 04:07 »
WHAT!! XML!!! FFFFF***CK THAT! SHH :-X >:( >:( >:( :P

helpermonkey

« Reply #64 on: 24 Aug '04 - 09:49 »
I would love XML-based skins. Everyone could read and modify this standardized format, skins would stay updated for a long time.

Look at these compiled skins we are stuck with at the moment. Even if you find pixel-errors (in the -Shades- skin for example) or if you would like to correct some strange behaviour, you can't do it.
You could -A- contact the skin author and hope that he will do it anytime soon, or if the author won't do it or is not reachable anymore you could try to get the sources and fix it on your own.
So if -B- the sources were made available there is big chance that they are compressed in a strange .zip format (the bs2000 sources for example, no one could ever extract them).

So my vote goes definately for XML. Think a few years further. Some authors will not even be active online anymore, but the skins would still stay alive and remain updated with newer versions of XMPLay.
As compiled binaries they won't. Also the XML format would allow design companies to have their employees do some nice skins for XMPLay. There would be no need to convert XML-based WinAMP skins (lame!) to XMPLay if this, our, player of choice would support XML as well.

Have you noticed that Ian did not post here for quite a time?

Torkell

« Reply #65 on: 24 Aug '04 - 12:25 »
Bugfix: Fix handling of file movement in the extended playlist.

Problem: When moving files (by click 'n' drag) beyond the visible region of the playlist, you have to keep moving the mouse pointer. If you move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen and don't move it, then the playlist does not scroll (try it and you'll know what I mean).

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #66 on: 24 Aug '04 - 13:08 »
So if -B- the sources were made available there is big chance that they are compressed in a strange .zip format (the bs2000 sources for example, no one could ever extract them).
Well if everyone was using a "proper" archiving program there would'nt be a problem. :P
I'll repack them the old fashion way then. ::)

Edit: On a side note if you do find any problems with skins I've done I'll fix it :) But I'm not psychic, whats up with shades? ;D
« Last Edit: 24 Aug '04 - 13:25 by Keltic Danor »

helpermonkey

« Reply #67 on: 24 Aug '04 - 15:25 »
The old pixel error of the -Shades- skin has been reported here:
https://www.un4seen.com/forum/?board=2;action=display;threadid=2915;start=msg19136#msg19136

Keltic: Your skin creating skills are A-grade. Ever thought about creating a skin based on the design of Propellerhead's Reason? http://www.propellerhead.se/products/reason/index.cfm
I'd support the required graphics and help with additional designs.

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #68 on: 24 Aug '04 - 16:31 »
The old pixel error of the -Shades- skin has been reported here:
https://www.un4seen.com/forum/?board=2;action=display;threadid=2915;start=msg19136#msg19136
Ah, forgot all about that. Try this one: Shades (Blue Cleaned)

About the font though, I can't slim it down as it needs the charset for when tracks are set to be skipped.

I'll take a look at the propellerhead's thang. :)

helpermonkey

« Reply #69 on: 24 Aug '04 - 20:36 »
Thanks a lot. As said before, if you're interested in doing a Reason-themed skin, I'll be able to hook you up with all the required gfx, tech. help as well as professional assistance.

fernsx

« Reply #70 on: 25 Aug '04 - 05:01 »
Look at these compiled skins we are stuck with at the moment. Even if you find pixel-errors (in the -Shades- skin for example) or if you would like to correct some strange behaviour, you can't do it.
You could -A- contact the skin author and hope that he will do it anytime soon, or if the author won't do it or is not reachable anymore you could try to get the sources and fix it on your own.

skins are from the AUTHORS and they decide if the skins can be "open source" or you think  ian would give away Xmplay source to anyone for nothing?

so if you have a problem with any skin cantact the author, and he will fix it if: he can or if he wants, i made that skin powerdee and i had troubles to get it up in the site, cause i couldn't contact the dee dsp plugin interface author (wich interface is based into) cause the homepage is death. but i didnt copy the design, just the look, i made the design.
so that' why there are compiled skins instead zipped

whatever that's not the point, besides i dont wanna spend more time skinning behind the keyboard than the graphics design, which is all of it. the functionality is given by the progam.
OMG think about how slow would xmplay go with that xml sh!t Noo man!

So my vote goes definately for XML. Think a few years further. Some authors will not even be active online anymore, but the skins would still stay alive and remain updated with newer versions of XMPLay.
why you want them to be active forever?
As compiled binaries they won't. Also the XML format would allow design companies to have their employees do some nice skins for XMPLay. There would be no need to convert XML-based WinAMP skins (lame!) to XMPLay if this, our, player of choice would support XML as well.
if you feel not satisfied with a skin you can not use it, or you can make one for your tastes.
by the way if you feel so much lover of xml, why dont you go get that winamp , but beware! you better have a pentuin 8  with 1000000 ghz to run it propperly!

i'm sure he reads

Torkell

« Reply #71 on: 25 Aug '04 - 14:26 »
i'm sure he reads
I thinks he's just sitting there with a bag of popcorn enjoying the show ;D

Zarggg

« Reply #72 on: 25 Aug '04 - 18:22 »
i'm sure he reads
Or an orange.

Jace

« Reply #73 on: 25 Aug '04 - 19:22 »
I think he's enjoying some nuts instead.. with his monkey... :P

Torkell

« Reply #74 on: 25 Aug '04 - 19:51 »
i'm sure he reads
Or an orange.
Why an orange?