Author Topic: Limit in number of files playlist can handle across a network  (Read 3405 times)

Roj

I have a folder containing 421 files.  If I load the files from my local drive into the playlist, they will load fine.  If I load them from a machine across the network, XMPLay will simply refuse to load a single file.

Please fix...

Also, an "add folder" button in the playlist would be much appreciated as well as an Explorer extension doing same.

Thanks.

Irrational86

I have a folder containing 421 files.  If I load the files from my local drive into the playlist, they will load fine.  If I load them from a machine across the network, XMPLay will simply refuse to load a single file.
I think this has to do with file access priviledges, and sharing security. I say this because I have gotten XMPlay to play files across network...

Please fix...
Maybe I am wrong...

Also, an "add folder" button in the playlist would be much appreciated as well as an Explorer extension doing same.
Right click the "+" (Plus sign) in the playlist panel...

Roj

Thank you for the right click tip.  THAT bit of info opened up a whole new can of worms.

This is what I found:

When I right click and add the folder, I can add the entire folder of 421 files with no problem.  When I open a dialog box by left clicking on the plus sign and try to add the files that way, I can only add so many files (less than 100) before XMPlay simply ignores the attempt and loads no files at all.

This is clearly not a rights issue but rather a bug centering around adding files by left clicking on the plus sign.

Go figure...

Irrational86

Thank you for the right click tip.  THAT bit of info opened up a whole new can of worms.
Almost everything has a right click option

When I right click and add the folder, I can add the entire folder of 421 files with no problem.  When I open a dialog box by left clicking on the plus sign and try to add the files that way, I can only add so many files (less than 100) before XMPlay simply ignores the attempt and loads no files at all.
Weird, maybe Ian has something to say about it?

Tsorovan

I play stuff over my LAN all day long. The only time I've seen that happening is when the server (I also run an ftp and http server on it) has been swamped with disk requests and can't keep up with stuff or once when my old firewall had a massive cerebral haemorrhage and decided I shouldn't have more than 1 kB/s to and from the server.
What's your network speed and average real-world transfer rate between these computers? Tell me if I'm out bicycling in the nude with this.
« Last Edit: 8 Sep '04 - 09:59 by Tsorovan »

Torkell

Weird, maybe Ian has something to say about it?
That sounds like whatever buffer is used by XMPlay is too small. It's a reasonable limitation, and I doubt that many people would run into it. Making the buffer larger would eat more memory.

Tsorovan

Oh, dagnabit, I can't read anymore. Yeah, what BobbyB says sounds reasonable. I've never tried adding that many files manually. Then again, he says it works fine locally, which makes me wonder if it isn't disk/network performance related.
« Last Edit: 8 Sep '04 - 10:30 by Tsorovan »

Roj

The network is straight MS networking over XP (netbios over IP).  The network cards are all 10/100 running at 100 internal to the network and connections are handled by a switch.  The server is an Athlon XP 1900+ w/512Mb DDR266 and the drive concerned is a Western Figital JB w/8Mb cache.  The server was sitting there doing absolutely nothing at the time.  In short, I don't think it's a networking issue. :)  Like I said, the right click handles the folder beautifully.

Irrational86

Sorry, I totally misunderstood this the first time I read it...I think I know why it doesn't work. Windows, as everything else computer related, has a limited buffer length. If I remember right, the buffer size assigned to the open dialog does not depend on the programmer, unless you make your own open dialog. Since this is the case, and network folders are usually longer than the local folders, the buffer might run out faster...
« Last Edit: 8 Sep '04 - 11:23 by XMinioNX »

Roj

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

NOW it makes sense.

Thanks!