Author Topic: XMPlay FLAC plugin  (Read 34542 times)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
XMPlay FLAC plugin
« on: 16 Feb '05 - 22:25 »
Here's a native FLAC plugin to play around with...

Now available from the XMPlay page!

It should support all the usual stuff, including replaygain and internet streaming (you'll need a pretty fast connection though ;)).

Please report any bugs/etc...
« Last Edit: 21 Feb '05 - 17:10 by Ian @ un4seen »

ColTim

Re: XMPlay FLAC plugin
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb '05 - 22:43 »
Wow, that was fast, and now the tags work. XMPlay just got a large jump in my favorite music players.

Thanks!

Edit: Perhaps this is just some delusion of my mind, but the audio now seems even better, even though it is already lossless.  ;D
« Last Edit: 17 Feb '05 - 02:00 by ColTim »

Tsorovan

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb '05 - 03:05 »
From having used it for a couple of hours... Works great so far. No problems as of yet.
Am I correct in deducing that this is built on libFLAC 1.1.1 and not the latest, 1.1.2?

[edit] I had some comment about seeking being faster but that was me being forgetful... in_mpc.dll is the one that has slow-ass seeking, not in_flac.dll.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb '05 - 07:32 by Tsorovan »

Roj

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb '05 - 11:24 »
Here's a native FLAC plugin to play around with...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmp-flac.dll

It should support all the usual stuff, including replaygain and internet streaming (you'll need a pretty fast connection though ;)).

Please report any bugs/etc...

Great!  Next stop, APE support (hint hint wink wink nudge nudge say no more). :)

Torkell

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb '05 - 11:38 »
MIDI support!

Knurek

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb '05 - 11:53 »
Musepack support!

Oh wait, the winamp plugin is pretty good.

libsidplay2 support then. :)

Tsorovan

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb '05 - 14:30 »
I wouldn't say the Winamp MPC plugin is that good... the slow-arse seeking is really annoying.

Knurek

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb '05 - 15:32 »
I wouldn't say the Winamp MPC plugin is that good... the slow-arse seeking is really annoying.

It plays all the files.
Which can't be said about SidAmp - that is if you manage to get it to work. I got BSODed to death.

Tsorovan

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb '05 - 16:36 »
Well, ok, everything's relative I suppose..............................

Brian

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb '05 - 19:21 »
Look here, we can't have this - we'll have Roj getting himself arrested for turning cartwheels in the street.

The plugin works fine on my system when playing local FLAC files. Does anyone know of any FLAC streams of recorded music, please? The only streams I can find are of live concerts. Many thanks.

Roj

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb '05 - 19:46 »
Look here, we can't have this - we'll have Roj getting himself arrested for turning cartwheels in the street.

The plugin works fine on my system when playing local FLAC files. Does anyone know of any FLAC streams of recorded music, please? The only streams I can find are of live concerts. Many thanks.

I was SO wondering when you'd show up. :) :) :)

This is a bonny good day for me - native plugins are popping up here and there's a reunion in my old Usenet haunt where I first discovered (and was schooled in) mp3s.  You'd have loved it back then brian - I had to shut up and take notes because I was seriously outgunned and outclassed.

Life is indeed good... :)

Svante

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb '05 - 20:34 »

I think there isn't many FLAC-streams because it will take a very big amount of bandwidth to stream one single song to one single user (because of the high bitrate of lossless audio). Currently the realistic streaming format that most users can enjoy (without rebuffering all the time) is a lossy stream.

raina

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb '05 - 21:41 »
Wow.. 5 native plugins already! Looks like a promising start to me. Keep 'em coming. I can't wait to listen to the HVSC with XMPlay's native Sidplay2 plugin and browsing STIL information in the Info window. *drool*

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb '05 - 22:33 »
From having used it for a couple of hours... Works great so far. No problems as of yet.
Am I correct in deducing that this is built on libFLAC 1.1.1 and not the latest, 1.1.2?

Now that you mention it, it was actually using 1.1.0 :)

It's updated it to 1.1.2 now - it's a bit bigger, but also a bit faster.

Roj

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb '05 - 22:50 »

Has anyone told you lately that you seriously ROCK? :)

Knurek

« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb '05 - 23:15 »
Wow.. 5 native plugins already! Looks like a promising start to me. Keep 'em coming. I can't wait to listen to the HVSC with XMPlay's native Sidplay2 plugin and browsing STIL information in the Info window. *drool*

Heh, wouldn't that be nice? :)
Let's not forget SLDB (geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5147/sidplay/sldb.html) support - would make it helluva nicer.

Brian

« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb '05 - 09:32 »
I think there isn't many FLAC-streams because it will take a very big amount of bandwidth to stream one single song to one single user (because of the high bitrate of lossless audio). Currently the realistic streaming format that most users can enjoy (without rebuffering all the time) is a lossy stream.

Yes, that makes sense - but then I wonder why Ian mentioned that the plugin supports streaming?

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb '05 - 09:57 »
Lets say there was a flac online for download, you could stream it instead.

Brian

« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb '05 - 11:17 »
Well, I tried uploading one of my FLAC files to a website and then opening it from there in XMPlay, and it wouldn't open.

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #19 on: 18 Feb '05 - 11:19 »
Then I have absolutely no idea. :)

Roj

« Reply #20 on: 18 Feb '05 - 11:54 »
Well, I tried uploading one of my FLAC files to a website and then opening it from there in XMPlay, and it wouldn't open.

This may sound silly but could it be a rights issue on the site?

Brian

« Reply #21 on: 18 Feb '05 - 13:17 »
I would have thought a more likely explanation to be that streaming requires a particular technology which isn't available on the average website.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 18 Feb '05 - 13:47 »

I've tried that myself (and also streamed FLAC files from www.archive.org), with success. Can you give the URL of your test file?

Brian

« Reply #23 on: 18 Feb '05 - 14:14 »
Can you give the URL of your test file?

Sorry, no - it's my personal website and I prefer not to give out the address. But I can play streams from the Live Music Archive, so thanks very much for pointing me in that direction.

« Last Edit: 18 Feb '05 - 14:29 by Brian »

Brian

« Reply #24 on: 18 Feb '05 - 14:32 »

With the latest version, the active plugin still shows in the info window as being 1.1.0.