Author Topic: XMPlay SID plugin  (Read 290757 times)

Re: XMPlay SID plugin
« Reply #100 on: 5 Jan '06 - 14:39 »
Then I'm out of ideas... :-\

Here's a mini debug version to locate the problem. You'll have to run DbgView (http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/DebugView9x.zip) before running XMPlay to capture the debug messages. And I need to see these messages. :)
DebugView generates only 2 messages alternately:
   IOCTL_QUERY_LINK_STATUS:
   IOCTL_GATHER_MIB
and nothing more even after XMPlay's crash.

Fraggie

« Reply #101 on: 5 Jan '06 - 15:05 »
Are you sure you're using the debug version and started DbgView before XMplay? If yes, then either the debugging doesn't work or the crash is before DllMain, which would be beyond me. I'll have to think it over...

Anyways try if this debug does generate messages (double check that there is no other xmp-sid.dll in XMPlay's directory). :)

« Reply #102 on: 5 Jan '06 - 15:30 »
Anyways try if this debug does generate messages (double check that there is no other xmp-sid.dll in XMPlay's directory). :)
Still no debug messages.
When DebugView isn't run XMPlay crashes in module XMP-SID_DBG.DLL, when DebugView is run - in module <unknown>.

Vague Rant

« Reply #103 on: 10 Jan '06 - 01:37 »
Just figured I should mention: when I run DebugView and XMPlay with xmp-sid installed (I tried the debug build, but I imagine it's the same for all), I get the "loading database" in DebugView then nothing. Only when I close DebugView does XMPlay come back with the two illegal operations.

Fraggie

« Reply #104 on: 10 Jan '06 - 08:27 »
Please retry with the updated debug http://dhost.info/pieknyman/bin/xmp-sid_dbg.dll. Does it display the same stuff? (Please disable STIL and SLDB.)

Vague Rant

« Reply #105 on: 10 Jan '06 - 08:59 »
Whoa. That works. This is awesome. So this is different to the debug linked earlier? Because as far as I can tell it's the same link, and I couldn't get it working before.

Anyway, thank you very much.

EDIT: New problem! XMPlay crashes at 1:06.4 on the first track of Arkanoid.sid. DebugView doesn't seem to notice anything apart from that XMPlay has closed after I kill it in Task Manager. Windows doesn't give a "not responding" message, so it could just be that memory runs low and XMPlay starts running extremely slowly, but that's just a guess based on how crap my computer is.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan '06 - 09:10 by Vague Rant »

« Reply #106 on: 10 Jan '06 - 10:35 »
Please retry with the updated debug http://dhost.info/pieknyman/bin/xmp-sid_dbg.dll. Does it display the same stuff? (Please disable STIL and SLDB.)
XMPlay starts and plays SIDs but very slowly (intensive processor use). When DebugView is run, XMPlay still crashes in module <unknown>.

Fraggie

« Reply #107 on: 10 Jan '06 - 11:29 »
The update has been added to the official download. Without the debugger, so it should be a bit faster.

PS. Also thanks to Bistzack for helping me with the testing.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan '06 - 11:33 by Fraggie »

Fraggie

« Reply #108 on: 10 Jan '06 - 11:55 »
Updated again.

« Reply #109 on: 10 Jan '06 - 22:01 »
It uses above 90 % CPU. Previous version doesn't.

Fraggie

« Reply #110 on: 11 Jan '06 - 08:36 »
It uses above 90 % CPU. Previous version doesn't.
Switch to mono mode. And make sure "Optimize for speed" is enabled.

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

« Reply #111 on: 11 Jan '06 - 15:56 »
There's still the error message when I start XMPlay:
PlaySID plugin
Error:
Incompatible XMPlay version.
Yes, I'm using 10. january version of plugin.

Also I get the same for "ACM Codec plugin", but I know that isn't fixed yet.

Fraggie

« Reply #112 on: 11 Jan '06 - 16:17 »
There's still the error message when I start XMPlay:
PlaySID plugin
Error:
Incompatible XMPlay version.
Yes, I'm using 10. january version of plugin.
Please double check that there are no other versions of the plugin in XMPlay directory/subdirectories and you're actually running version 3.3 of the player.

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

« Reply #113 on: 11 Jan '06 - 17:32 »
Please double check that there are no other versions of the plugin in XMPlay directory/subdirectories and you're actually running version 3.3 of the player.

Quadruplechecked. Same.

(Using XP sp2 BTW.)

Fraggie

« Reply #114 on: 12 Jan '06 - 08:19 »
This plugin will display interface versions. What does it say?
http://dhost.info/pieknyman/bin/xmp-sid.dll

Rich

« Reply #115 on: 12 Jan '06 - 08:32 »
If you have the xmp-8svx.dll plugin in your plugin folder, try temporarily getting rid of that, then see if you still get the same message. For some reason, on my computer I was getting the PlaySID: Incompatible XMPlay version message but it was being caused but that plugin.

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

« Reply #116 on: 12 Jan '06 - 09:19 »
This plugin will display interface versions. What does it say?
http://dhost.info/pieknyman/bin/xmp-sid.dll

Plugin face is 2, XMPlay requests 2

If you have the xmp-8svx.dll plugin in your plugin folder, try temporarily getting rid of that, then see if you still get the same message. For some reason, on my computer I was getting the PlaySID: Incompatible XMPlay version message but it was being caused but that plugin.

Yes. Correct.

Fraggie

« Reply #117 on: 12 Jan '06 - 11:59 »
Well, the 8SVX plugin presents itself as SID plugin... ;D Copy & paste programming doesn't pay off. :)

raina

« Reply #118 on: 12 Jan '06 - 12:14 »
Oof. Make this sticky and let it be a lesson for everyone. Now the problems are history?

Fraggie

« Reply #119 on: 12 Jan '06 - 12:30 »
Oof. Make this sticky and let it be a lesson for everyone. Now the problems are history?
SID and Delix are supposed to be 100% operational. Please don't use the 8SVX i ACM plugins now. They aren't migrated yet. (I really have little time.  :-\ )

raina

« Reply #120 on: 18 Jan '06 - 18:37 »
Haven't listened to any SIDs in a while, besides the mild exposure from Nectarine. Well, the fever is rising again and the quicksilver is approaching 6581 degrees.. :P It's a fresh Win9x installation on the Celeron box with the latest XMPlay and I'm pretty sure I installed the SID plugin just like I've done it dozens of times before. But if I was to believe what XMPlay is telling me, I'd say there is no such thing as a SID plugin. No trace in "plugins and skins" nor "integration". How's that for some peculiar behavior? It's a Windows ME installation this time, configured with 98lite, but I don't suppose the SID plugins relies on any of the Windows files the tool could have stripped..

Zarggg

« Reply #121 on: 19 Jan '06 - 06:44 »
I have a really odd problem.. XMPlay doesn't seem to be loading the plugin AT ALL. No SIDs get played. It is sad. :(

Fraggie

« Reply #122 on: 19 Jan '06 - 07:52 »
Do you have MSVCP71.DLL and MSVCR71.DLL somewhere in the Windows (/System) directory?

piovrauz

« Reply #123 on: 19 Jan '06 - 10:36 »
On fresh setup of XP sp2 I get the MSVCP71.DLL missing. I think it's the same thing, just I don't have these MSVCP71.DLL and MSVCR71.DLL registered.

I know that some app install them, but I'd like to ask if is possible to get them with some .inf or somewath? (using google I get some, but regsrv32 doesn't reg them)

Thanks

Fraggie

« Reply #124 on: 19 Jan '06 - 10:56 »
They don't need to be registered or anything. You just have to copy these DLL's to Windows/System (or System32) or to plugin's directory. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't consider them as system components anymore.