Author Topic: "Write to disk" - Can it do more?  (Read 4882 times)

Burn-X

"Write to disk" - Can it do more?
« on: 20 Sep '05 - 14:15 »
I've never used this as it is always greyed out, but from looking through the forum, I can safely assume that it is to save streaming audio from the Internet into the user hard disk as an MP3 or OGG file.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken :P

Anyway, I'm wondering if it also allows users to save different file format such as SPC tracks and MOD into MP3 that are already on the hard disk.

Knurek

Re: "Write to disk" - Can it do more?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep '05 - 14:34 »
Well, not really. If you want to discwrite them, you have to select the Discwriter that suits your need on the device tab in the Options menu.

Though it's a nice idea, and I think it's been suggested already.

Tsorovan

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep '05 - 17:22 »
In the past (and in every new wishlist), I've called for making this option double as just that, since it
a) makes sense
b) is way handier than having to go to the output section all the time (there could be a disk writing preset...).
c) reasonably trivial

Since I demo a big part of my music in a tracker, I end up disk writing quite a bit, and I'm so sick of having to change the output device all the time, and then change it back again. It's counter-intuitive, a hassle, and quite non-sensical. I only ever use one setting too, so I don't see why a preset wouldn't be so much better.

No one seems to like this idea though.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep '05 - 17:27 by Tsorovan »

Dotpitch

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep '05 - 20:02 »
Anyway, I'm wondering if it also allows users to save different file format such as SPC tracks and MOD into MP3 that are already on the hard disk.
you're going to need the wav writer for that ;) (combined with lame)

Burn-X

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep '05 - 08:48 »
I'm wasn't suggesting it, just wanted to know if it was possible.  Nice to know that others have though.  Thanks for replying guys.

Dotpitch:  Can you point me to the right direction?  Dying to get these tunes into my handphone :P

Burn-X

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep '05 - 12:41 »
Thanks!  Despite getting an error message ("Cannot execute external encoder") when trying to convert to MP3, converting it to WAV works.  Using another freeware to get that to MP3.

Thanks again guys! :)

EDIT: Got XMplay to convert it to MP3.  Needed the lame encoder...  ;D
« Last Edit: 21 Sep '05 - 13:16 by Burn-X »

m2k3

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep '07 - 05:23 »
if you want to record mod, xm, etc. to wav..... in options, click the output tab.  select wav output and load up a file.  It will automatically convert it

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep '07 - 18:40 »
Hell, people. This thread is almost exactly two years old.
Still, I agree somewhat that having to switch to another device to write a WAV is a bit too complicated.