Author Topic: ASIO2 driver  (Read 11152 times)

ZHUR

ASIO2 driver
« on: 22 Oct '05 - 23:25 »
Big respect to all UnSeen Developments team!!! Thank You for your XM-Player! I use it in my project recording studio when we chilling out. Can you make this player to use professional ASIO driver for playback?! I think You know thai it will improve quality of the sound.

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
Re: ASIO2 driver
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct '05 - 00:25 »
I'm not a XMPlay developer, but I'm sure, Ian will be glad to hear your comment :-)

Regarding ASIO: we have discussed the matter a number of times already... ASIO doesn't improve sound quality - it only decreases latency and offers some interfaces for advanced recording.
http://www.soundblaster.com/resources/read.asp?articleid=53937&cat=2

ZHUR

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct '05 - 06:56 »
You must have normal monitoring gear, and professional device which supports asio to hear the difference.  I tested it by myself many times. Using multimedia sound cards and speakers, even on mid class hi-end the difference is not visible. I already said that i'm talking about difference when listening in studio. It's all in latencies. When you listen with zero latency the sound is more natural.

Jace

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct '05 - 07:35 »
Placebo. ;D Where would we be without it?
For some reason I believe it's only a VERY small percentage of XMPlay users who listen to their (very often lossy!) audio files in a studio.

And when recording, I know it can be very disturbing if it has a large delay. But when listening, the latency shouldn't matter at all. You will hear exactly the same audio, just a dozen or few milliseconds later. The latency will be there, but it won't have a reference point to compare it to, so unless you've been enjoying illegal goods, you shouldn't notice the difference. ;D

Dotpitch

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct '05 - 08:52 »
I don't have anything against ASIO support (I wouldn't even notice the difference, I hardly ever spend money on hardware), but would the quality improvement for a small number of people be worth Ians effort trying to get it to work? XMPlay works with every (windows-)soundcard right now...
Not to mention the size increase ASIO support would result in :o. Another 5 KB!

It's cool to hear that even professionals think XMPlay is a fantastic audio-player :D ;).

zhur

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov '05 - 20:40 »
The difference consists of that these drivers sound on miscellaneous. ASIO sounds better.

Zarggg

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov '05 - 23:21 »
ASIO sounds better.

I can assure you that ASIO will "sound" no different than the alternative on my setup. At all.

Roj

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov '05 - 19:28 »
You must have normal monitoring gear, and professional device which supports asio to hear the difference.  I tested it by myself many times. Using multimedia sound cards and speakers, even on mid class hi-end the difference is not visible. I already said that i'm talking about difference when listening in studio. It's all in latencies. When you listen with zero latency the sound is more natural.

I will agree that it improves *some* consumer grade cards, primarily because it bypasses the retroactive abortion resampling algorithms those particular cards (*cough*the entire Creative Labs lineup*cough*) use.  You'll also need high-end PC multimedia gear or cans to hear that difference.

However, for most other current consumer cards (the vast majority of which have far more competent driver and hardware implementations), the differences range from minimal / barely audible to nonexistant depending on the quality of the soundcard drivers.

I personally couldn't hear a difference when I hooked up my Revo (which supports ASIO) to my audio gear.  That audio gear (sadly it's now sold) was rather expensive and a definitive cut above the type of kit the average consumer who buys from the large electronic chains has in his living room.

Just my two cents, seasonally adjusted for inflation.
« Last Edit: 2 Nov '05 - 19:41 by Roj »