Author Topic: Oggenc external encoder issue  (Read 10602 times)

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

Oggenc external encoder issue
« on: 11 Dec '05 - 04:06 »
I now tried the default settings for the encoders for the first time (to check what works out of the box for a not to technically savvy friend whom I have to instruct via e-mail). Well I have lame.exe and oggenc.exe in %PATH%. Lame worked out but the oggfiles are corrupt (won't play). Commandline are as said XMPlay's default. Tried adding -q 5 but no change. Tried switching between different versions of oggenc from vanilla xiph.org 1.0.1 MSVC6 build to new highly optimized one. Didn't change none. Resulting ogg's just won't play....

Using latest dev build on XP sp2.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Oggenc external encoder issue
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec '05 - 14:18 »
That's strange. It seems to be ok here, using the OGGENC available on the MO3 page. What format was the source you tried, eg. sample rate and channels?

Just to be sure, your command-line is this?

Code: [Select]
oggenc -t %1 -a %2 -l %3 -d %4 -N %5 -G %6 -c %7 -o %o -
Does the source file have any tags? If so, you could try removing those from the command-line, in case they're the problem.

oggenc -o %o -
If that still doesn't work, you could also try this.

oggenc -o %o %i

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec '05 - 15:07 »
That's strange. It seems to be ok here, using the OGGENC available on the MO3 page. What format was the source you tried, eg. sample rate and channels?

Source file was just a standard wav file as ripped from a CD with EAC, 44.1/16/2.

(Trying some more, changing oggenc version doesn't seem to do much, usually I'm using the optimized one I've linked to above.)

Just to be sure, your command-line is this?

oggenc -t %1 -a %2 -l %3 -d %4 -N %5 -G %6 -c %7 -o %o -

Yes.

Does the source file have any tags? If so, you could try removing those from the command-line, in case they're the problem.

oggenc -o %o -

No. Ordinary WAV, no tags. No changes with that line.

If that still doesn't work, you could also try this.

oggenc -o %o %i

Yes, that changes stuff, so also this line works with all encoders:

oggenc -q 5 -t %1 -a %2 -l %3 -d %4 -N %5 -G %6 -c %7 -o %o %i
Meaning that problem is encoding from stdin.... Well, other frontends, e.g. foobar2000 don't have a problem with oggenc doing that..... Any clues?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec '05 - 20:30 »
It's working fine here with XP SP2, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working there. You could try the precompiled examples that come with BASSenc (available on the BASS page). If that works, it may give some clues.

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec '05 - 14:24 »
No. It's the same with that compile. Using:
oggenc -o %o -
Can't play resulting file...

rws7au

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec '05 - 23:43 »
I had a similiar problem converting from standard wav file.  It would create the ogg file but it would not play.  However, I changed the resolution from 32bit to 16bit on the Encoder configutation tab and the resulting ogg file now plays. :)

rws7au

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec '05 - 02:17 »
My previous suggestion does not solve the problem.
I can get it to work intermittently.  It always encodes to an ogg file OK but the file does not always play.  I have been unable to duplicate with certainty what I did to get it to work.  Something is not quite right but I am not sure what it is.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec '05 - 14:24 »
If you download BASSenc (and BASS), and try the precompiled examples (in C\BIN) using this modified BASSENC.DLL, does OGGENC work properly then?

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec '05 - 15:01 »
If you download BASSenc (and BASS), and try the precompiled examples (in C\BIN) using this modified BASSENC.DLL, does OGGENC work properly then?

Yes. Either version of oggenc works properly

contest.exe Filename.wav 0
As long as Filename didn't contain spaces, that is. With "File Name.wav" I got

streaming file [43246224 bytes] 4:05
Error: The encoder died!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec '05 - 17:24 »
Does that mean you have no problems with XMPlay 3.3 then, as the same modification was already added in there? :)

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec '05 - 01:42 »
Does that mean you have no problems with XMPlay 3.3 then, as the same modification was already added in there? :)

No. Unfortunately the problem remains the same...  :-[

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec '05 - 13:41 »
Please upload your XMPLAY.INI file and an example dodgy OGG encoded file...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec '05 - 14:54 »
Uploaded. The files are in archive oggencproblem.rar.

Dotpitch

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec '05 - 15:12 »
Quote from: ogginfo.exe
Warning: Hole in data found at approximate offset 4500 bytes. Corrupted ogg.
Warning: Invalid header page, no packet found
Warning: Invalid header page in stream 1, contains multiple packets
New logical stream (#1, serial: 00001c63): type invalid
Warning: stream start flag not set on stream 1
Warning: sequence number gap in stream 1. Got page 1 when expecting page 0. Indicates missing data.
Logical stream 1 ended

oggenc v1.0.2, winXP pro SP2, xmplay 28.12.2005
oggenc -q 7 -t %1 -a %2 -l %3 -d %4 -N %5 -G %6 -c %7 -o %o -doesn't matter what oggenc build or resolution is used, produces the same error. xmplay's stdout works with lame's stdin, and lame's stdout works with oggenc stdin, but xmplay won't work directly with oggenc.

Mr_Rabid_Teddybear

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec '05 - 16:19 »
Actually there might be a slight problem with the VBR header of lame mp3's encoded with XMPlay too, as foobar2000 lists them as being CBR (files encoded with --alt-preset standard or -V 2 --vbr-new). No problem playing them though, so this is minor....

Dotpitch

« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec '05 - 17:31 »
...as being CBR. No problem playing them though, so this is minor....
you're right. "lame -T -V 3 --vbr-new  - %o" results in a vbr-file with unknown vbr-mode (EncSpot) and it appears to be 128kbps sbr (in_mp3.dll) and MP3Tag completely crashes the file :-X. adding %i to the command line makes it perfect again.
xmplay itself hasn't got any problems playing the file (just takes some time to determine the correct duration). looks like it lost the vbr-tag...

bw, mad and lame report it to be vbr, so foobar should check more than tags to get to know the file, like xmplay does ;)

[edit]
"lame --abr 128 %o -" does give a vbr tag, "oggenc -b 128 -o %o -" gives the same problem, but "oggenc -b 128 --managed -o %o -" does work correct.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: 28 Dec '05 - 17:49 by Dotpitch »