Author Topic: XMPlay RealAudio plugin  (Read 320615 times)

Dotpitch

Re: XMPlay RealAudio plugin
« Reply #275 on: 25 Jan '09 - 09:13 »
Skips: 1:21, 2:40
Confirmed. RealPlayer made a little cough once, but plays it perfectly now.

Heh, now that I relisten the other track, I do hear the skips at the places you mention :-X. I expected a more harsh transition ;).

Fraggie

« Reply #276 on: 25 Jan '09 - 09:44 »
Heh, now that I relisten the other track, I do hear the skips at the places you mention :-X. I expected a more harsh transition ;).
In XMPlay or RealPlayer?  :)

Dotpitch

« Reply #277 on: 25 Jan '09 - 10:06 »
In XMPlay or RealPlayer?
In XMPlay. I compared it to RealPlayer playback and it misses about 1.4 seconds.

Fraggie

« Reply #278 on: 25 Jan '09 - 16:41 »

SmartOne

« Reply #279 on: 25 Jan '09 - 17:52 »
So far it sounds perfect!  Thank you for all your work!   ;D

Cooker files still skip.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan '09 - 03:07 by SmartOne »

Fraggie

« Reply #280 on: 26 Jan '09 - 08:29 »
Shoot, should've checked that too...

I suppose that's how RealNetworks is making money. By making Real Audio format completly incoherent.

Dotpitch

« Reply #281 on: 26 Jan '09 - 12:58 »
I suppose that's how RealNetworks is making money. By making Real Audio format completly incoherent.
You guys have no idea how much a mess RealAudio really is... RealMess.
It's rather closed source, so they probably don't really bother about consistency or clarity as long as it works properly. And ofcourse, this only make the position of RealPlayer stronger ;).

Fraggie

« Reply #282 on: 27 Jan '09 - 18:10 »
I just tried that Cooker file and it plays fine here, without any skipping. This file has the same problem as the ATRAC one, so I'd suppose the problem should be gone now. If you have any other Cooker file that is problematic, please upload it too.

Dotpitch

« Reply #283 on: 27 Jan '09 - 19:07 »
I just tried that Cooker file and it plays fine here, without any skipping.
Over here it doesn't play correctly, but it's hard to notice. At 1:20 and 2:40, the silence is extended. I guess it's just coincidence that both of the occurences in the file are at a silence? The ATRAC file seems OK.

[edit]Looking at the picture, it also seems RealPlayer plays the inverted signal on both channels. Or xmp-ra, ofcourse ;).[/edit]
« Last Edit: 27 Jan '09 - 19:11 by Dotpitch »

SmartOne

« Reply #284 on: 27 Jan '09 - 19:08 »
Yes, thanks for the analysis.

Fraggie

« Reply #285 on: 31 Jan '09 - 13:07 »
I think it's correct now. Please check...
http://dhost.info/pieknyman/bin/test/xmp-ra.dll

Looking at the picture, it also seems RealPlayer plays the inverted signal on both channels. Or xmp-ra, ofcourse ;).
I wonder if it's inverted only with Cooker/Generic or maybe with every other codec/interleaver too...
Do you have some free time, Dotpitch? ;D

Dotpitch

« Reply #286 on: 31 Jan '09 - 14:27 »
I think it's correct now. Please check...
Seems to work properly over here. Note that the first sample still silently crashes XMPlay at 00:09 at my system.

Looking at the picture, it also seems RealPlayer plays the inverted signal on both channels. Or xmp-ra, ofcourse ;).
I wonder if it's inverted only with Cooker/Generic or maybe with every other codec/interleaver too... Do you have some free time, Dotpitch? ;D
I was wrong, playback by xmp-ra and RealPlayer have identical phase. When using the WAV Writer (like in my previous post), things get mixed up somewhere, either in XMPlays output or in Audacity's import. I'm using 32-bit float.

SmartOne

« Reply #287 on: 31 Jan '09 - 19:47 »
Thank you!

Fraggie

« Reply #288 on: 1 Feb '09 - 15:05 »
Seems to work properly over here. Note that the first sample still silently crashes XMPlay at 00:09 at my system.
Please try to play this file without any other plugins installed. If it still crashes, I can send you a debug version to get some clues.

Dotpitch

« Reply #289 on: 1 Feb '09 - 15:49 »
Please try to play this file without any other plugins installed.
You're right, from the fact that it crashes silently I could've guessed that it was xmp-scrobblers fault ;D. It probably has problems with the '/' in the title. The tracks works fine when I disable it, thanks :).

Fraggie

« Reply #290 on: 2 Feb '09 - 10:37 »
Excellent.  ;D

So the plugin's almost on track - apart from djray's BBC interruptions...

Brian

« Reply #291 on: 2 Feb '09 - 17:38 »
Sorry to be a nuisance, but I can no longer play BBC News streams. For example, this stream will play in Media Player Classic but not in XMPlay:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/meta/tx/nb/newshour_au_nb.ram

XMPlay just gives up trying to connect after about five seconds. Many thanks.

Dotpitch

« Reply #292 on: 2 Feb '09 - 18:36 »
xmp-ra requests the stream, but it gets a link back:
Code: [Select]
http://http-ws.bbc.co.uk.edgesuite.net/generateram.esi?file=worldservice/css/nb/newshour.ra&BBC-UID=[UID]&SSO2-UID)It doesn't know what to do with it, so it just re-requests the stream until it is marked as dead. Other players perform a GET request on the link, which opens up the real stream. Manually following the links allow XMPlay to play the stream as well.

Brian

« Reply #293 on: 2 Feb '09 - 18:53 »
Dotpitch - thanks for this. Is it XMPlay itself that doesn't perform a GET request, or just the plugin? If it's the plugin, perhaps Fraggie could look into the issue, please.
« Last Edit: 2 Feb '09 - 19:39 by Brian »

Dotpitch

« Reply #294 on: 2 Feb '09 - 22:55 »
Is it XMPlay itself that doesn't perform a GET request, or just the plugin? If it's the plugin, perhaps Fraggie could look into the issue, please.
I don't know, but my best guess is that xmp-ra just treats the link are a malformatted packet and tries again on the old adress.

SmartOne

« Reply #295 on: 3 Feb '09 - 03:33 »
ddnt3260.dll

^^^ Isn't sensed by the plugin.  Only eight codecs are reported in About window.  Is this correct? Ten DLLs are in my folder.  The other that isn't listed is the C++ runtime.
« Last Edit: 3 Feb '09 - 03:39 by SmartOne »

Dotpitch

« Reply #296 on: 3 Feb '09 - 09:02 »
ddnt3260.dll isn't sensed by the plugin.  Only eight codecs are reported in About window.  Is this correct? Ten DLLs are in my folder.  The other that isn't listed is the C++ runtime.
From the very first post in this thread:
Codecs:
  • dnet.dll & ddnt.dll - for RealAudio 3.0 support
PNCRT.DLL will go to the Windows/System32 ...
The C++ runtime is obviously not a codec.

SmartOne

« Reply #297 on: 3 Feb '09 - 19:01 »
I know!  Where do you think I got the information in the first place?  >:( Again, what about ddnt.dll?  Should that be reported by the About window?

I have the C++ runtime in my "PATH." (C:\Program Files\xmplay342\plugins\real)

Fraggie

« Reply #298 on: 3 Feb '09 - 19:39 »
xmp-ra requests the stream, but it gets a link back:
Code: [Select]
http://http-ws.bbc.co.uk.edgesuite.net/generateram.esi?file=worldservice/css/nb/newshour.ra&BBC-UID=[UID]&SSO2-UID)It doesn't know what to do with it, so it just re-requests the stream until it is marked as dead. Other players perform a GET request on the link, which opens up the real stream. Manually following the links allow XMPlay to play the stream as well.
The plugin should follow HTTP links automatically. I need to check what's stopping it here.

I know!  Where do you think I got the information in the first place?  >:( Again, what about ddnt.dll?  Should that be reported by the About window?
Both DLL's are required to decode the same codec - DolbyNET, but only dnet.dll is a valid "RealAudio codec DLL":
  - dnet.dll - loads ddnt.dll; has standard RealAudio API,
  - ddnt.dll - the actual decoder engine with custom API.

Actually DolbyNET is just AC3 with reversed byte order, so maybe RealNetworks didn't get the source code, but just a DLL from Dolby? I don't know, but there surely must be a reason why they keep this codec's binaries splitted. ;)

Brian

« Reply #299 on: 3 Feb '09 - 20:03 »
Fraggie - thanks for looking into the GET issue. I think the BBC must have changed the way its streams are handled, because I never used to have this difficulty.