Author Topic: XMPlay RealAudio plugin  (Read 320706 times)

Brian

Re: XMPlay RealAudio plugin
« Reply #75 on: 11 Apr '06 - 17:20 »
???

treefog

« Reply #76 on: 11 Apr '06 - 20:51 »
 ???

Fraggie

« Reply #77 on: 12 Apr '06 - 09:18 »
A little update is up, fixing crashing on stream ends. PNM's work flawlessly, while RTSP files have some glitches (erm, anyway it's better than crashing ;) ). Seeking on downloaded files has also been improved.

Maybe I will have some more free time to spend on bugfixing the plugin after Easter.

Brian

« Reply #78 on: 12 Apr '06 - 10:07 »
Thanks for the update, but I'm afraid it leaves me worse off than before. Not only do stream-end crashes continue to happen, but now I can't play several streams that I was previously able to play.

treefog

« Reply #79 on: 12 Apr '06 - 15:09 »
Test with XMplay 3.3.0.4 and xmp-ra.dll (Apr. 12/06)
PNM protocol streams http://www.radioowensound.com/liveam.ram and http://www.radioowensound.com/livefm.ram

Problem with new xmp-ra.dll (Apr. 12/06) and the two PNM streams above: 

Selecting the stream from the playlist, XMplay shows opening but as soon as buffering shows XMplay indexes to the next item on the playlist with a RED line through the PNM stream playlist item.
This applies to both of the above streams.
This is not a problem with xmp-ra.dll (Apr. 04/06).

I switched between xmp-ra.dll (Apr. 12/06) and xmp-ra.dll (Apr. 04/06) four times with the same results.

Fraggie

« Reply #80 on: 12 Apr '06 - 16:03 »
Problem with new xmp-ra.dll (Apr. 12/06) and the two PNM streams above: 
Selecting the stream from the playlist, XMplay shows opening but as soon as buffering shows XMplay indexes to the next item on the playlist with a RED line through the PNM stream playlist item.
This applies to both of the above streams.
Ok, I think it's working again.

Brian

« Reply #81 on: 12 Apr '06 - 16:52 »
Yes, on the whole it seems to be working fine now, thanks very much indeed. There's no longer a crash at the end of a stream, but a slightly alarming clattering noise; this may be nothing to do with the plugin, although it doesn't occur when using RealPlayer.

The ability to seek in a fixed-length stream would be a welcome enhancement, please. Thanks again.

treefog

« Reply #82 on: 12 Apr '06 - 17:06 »
The new xmp-ra.dll (Apr. 12/06) is now working with the two PNM streams.

I will keep the PNM stream running for the day and let you know the results.

Thanks.

treefog

« Reply #83 on: 12 Apr '06 - 20:13 »
PNM protocol stream http://www.radioowensound.com/liveam.ram with new xmp-ra.dll (Apr. 12/06)

On two tests the stream started juddering after 91min and 92min.
The stream played with no problems until the juddering started.

Fraggie

« Reply #84 on: 13 Apr '06 - 07:13 »
Yes, on the whole it seems to be working fine now, thanks very much indeed. There's no longer a crash at the end of a stream, but a slightly alarming clattering noise; this may be nothing to do with the plugin, although it doesn't occur when using RealPlayer.
Yes, I know about it. It happens with RTSP streams. To be fixed.

The ability to seek in a fixed-length stream would be a welcome enhancement, please. Thanks again.
This is by design. The plugin lets you seek only within the already downloaded part (this is to prevent lockups, eg. if you seek somewhere to the end of an 1 hour stream when you just started playing).

PNM protocol stream http://www.radioowensound.com/liveam.ram with new xmp-ra.dll (Apr. 12/06)
On two tests the stream started juddering after 91min and 92min.
The stream played with no problems until the juddering started.
:-\ It's a bit troublesome to debug when the problem appears after 1.5h of playing... To be fixed eventually. ;)

Brian

« Reply #85 on: 24 Apr '06 - 13:54 »
Yes, I know about it. It happens with RTSP streams. To be fixed.

Any news, please?

Fraggie

« Reply #86 on: 25 Apr '06 - 10:50 »
No news is good news. ;)

(I'm trying to solve the problems.)

Fraggie

« Reply #87 on: 26 Apr '06 - 07:28 »
Clattering noise at the end of RTSP streams is now fixed.

Brian

« Reply #88 on: 26 Apr '06 - 10:09 »
Yes, all smooth as silk now - many thanks. This plugin is now fully functional from my point of view, but it would be good to hear of any enhancements you may have in mind.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr '06 - 10:41 by Brian »

Fraggie

« Reply #89 on: 26 Apr '06 - 13:57 »
The plugin can now display logical-fileinfo meta data from RM files.

Yes, all smooth as silk now - many thanks. This plugin is now fully functional from my point of view, but it would be good to hear of any enhancements you may have in mind.
Great. However I think there is still a PNM juddering/crashing issue if I recall correctly. :) As for enhancements - I'm planning to add saving real streams to disk (beside using disk writer device).

Fraggie

« Reply #90 on: 5 May '06 - 08:05 »
Beta 5 supports saving Real streams to disk, using the "Write to disk" option. Also file detection has been improved a bit.

Brian

« Reply #91 on: 5 May '06 - 13:15 »
Thanks very much for this. I won't be using the save feature myself, but it's good to see the plugin still developing.

Brian

« Reply #92 on: 7 May '06 - 15:25 »
The plugin doesn't seem to like this stream for some reason; won't play it at all:

http://www.cowboyculturalsociety.com/ccs_128.ram

This is the first time I've tried to play this stream. RealPlayer has no problem with it.

Many thanks

lingenfr

« Reply #93 on: 7 May '06 - 19:12 »
I think there is something funky about the file (in addition to the music, lyrics, etc.:)). Normally you can download a ram file completely. When I downloaded this one, I got a 27 byte file. XMP would not play it. It put a red line through it in the playlist. I tried it with real alternative which played 3 seconds (which was more than enough :)) then buffered some more and stopped.
« Last Edit: 7 May '06 - 19:48 by lingenfr »

Brian

« Reply #94 on: 7 May '06 - 19:29 »
It plays smooth as silk in RealPlayer, using the same codecs as the XMPlay plugin. Of course I'm not recommending this particular stream to all tastes, but it may reveal a bug in the plugin that needs attention.
« Last Edit: 7 May '06 - 19:32 by Brian »

Fraggie

« Reply #95 on: 8 May '06 - 08:55 »
It's not a RealAudio stream. It's an MP3 through Shoutcast. :) It plays perfectly fine if you give XMPlay it's URL by hand (http://205.188.215.232:8028).

Brian

« Reply #96 on: 8 May '06 - 09:59 »
Thanks for responding, although I must say I don't find your answer very convincing. This station streams in two formats, mp3 and real audio, and it's the latter I was asking about. Also, as I mentioned, RealPlayer plays it without a hitch, and identifies it as a real audio stream. Why would an mp3 stream through Shoutcast have a .ram extension? But never mind, it isn't hugely important!

Dotpitch

« Reply #97 on: 8 May '06 - 11:44 »
css_128.m3u
http://205.188.215.232:8028
css_128.ram
http://205.188.215.232:8028

Probably the server runs multiple streams. XMPlay will look for a mp3 stream (default with ShoutCast), while RealPlayer looks for a Real-stream (/stream.ra perhaps?). When the plugin opens the .ram and connects to the server, it probably gets the mp3 stream, which it can't play.

Brian

« Reply #98 on: 8 May '06 - 12:13 »
Very helpful clarification - many thanks.  Should it be up to the plugin to pass the stream `back to XMPlay' when the plugin can't play it, or is the fact that it just gives up a designed-in aspect of XMPlay?

Fraggie

« Reply #99 on: 8 May '06 - 16:14 »
The plugin accepts the RAM file, uses XMPlay built-in functions to open http://205.188.215.232:8028 since it's HTTP and doesn't get a Real stream (gets ICY header), so tells XMPlay the file is invalid. XMPlay doesn't play RAM files and the story ends.
« Last Edit: 8 May '06 - 16:20 by Fraggie »