Author Topic: XMplay 3.3 problems and slow  (Read 8600 times)

merlin3000

XMplay 3.3 problems and slow
« on: 12 Jan '06 - 22:58 »
Hi.. I've been using xmplay since 3.0 (not very far ago) I've recently downloaded the 3.3 version and it seems to be slower booting up, and loading music and it's also slower when adding tracks to list if I select about 10 tracks and click in add to Xm-Play list it takes about 1~2 seconds by song. Another problem is when I select more than one track it will boot one by one. Result: List only keeps the last.

Can someone help me? Thank you

raina

Re: XMplay 3.3 problems and slow
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan '06 - 06:43 »
Did you by chance install tons of plugins along with 3.3? Plugins increase startup times.

Check options and stuff and make sure you're only allowing one instance of XMPlay.

merlin3000

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb '06 - 20:04 »
Sorry.. taking so long to reply, havenīt been able to come to the computer because of school exams.

I have no extra plugins installed, just made a clean installation of xmplay 3.3 and the problems persist. The "slower" booting up might be some windows stuff.. anyway the slow "add to Xm-play list" is even stranger because if I select the songs and click "add to Xm-play list" it will take 1~2 seconds for song. But if I select them and drag them to the playlist it's instantaneous.

As for multiple instaces it's already off but the paying problem for multiple tracks continues. If I select more than one file and press enter it will open one and keeps reopen xm-play with only the next file listed untill it reaches the last song.

Tsorovan

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb '06 - 01:59 »
Options -> Integration
check Add tracks to list.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb '06 - 15:02 »
anyway the slow "add to Xm-play list" is even stranger because if I select the songs and click "add to Xm-play list" it will take 1~2 seconds for song. But if I select them and drag them to the playlist it's instantaneous.

The difference there is that, in the first case, Windows will pass the files to XMPlay one by one, while in the second case, they are all passed together.

merlin3000

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb '06 - 12:28 »
Ian @ un4seen

Thanks, I just found that strange because it worked a lot faster in 3.0.

Tsorovan

That will add all my selected tracks to the palylist. I wanted it to replace my playlist by those files that were selected when I press enter. That doesn't happen because it opens one by one replacing each other. There's ny other away to do this?

Tsorovan

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb '06 - 13:52 »
Ah. Seems your filetype might be broken in some way. Try editing it manually in Explorer's File Type dialog or regedit, if you're familiar with such stuff. Make sure the "Open" procedure is set to use DDE, and make sure the action is [open(%1)]

Verbatim.

merlin3000

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb '06 - 22:33 »
I've checked and DDE is active and the action is like you said.
Can't see what's wrong.

merlin3000

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb '06 - 20:42 »
Does anyone had the same problem? I'm still trying to find a solution..

Thanks

Cosworth

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb '06 - 21:47 »
I have different problem, when I press double-klicking on first track and at once I press double-clickin to the second track, this second track is automatically adding to playlist whith the first track.
Winamp and Foobar 2000 don't have this problem. 

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb '06 - 16:01 »
As I mentioned above, Windows will give the files to XMPlay one by one. So in order to detect whether it's a batch of files being opened together, XMPlay checks the time since the last file. If it's less than a second, XMPlay assumes it's part of a batch of files.

The timeout was shorter originally, but someone reported problems with the list clearing midway through adding a bunch of files (ie. XMPlay wasn't waiting long enough), so it was increased. That was quite a few years ago though, and the average system is obviously a lot faster now, so I guess it could be reduced again. Here's an update with it halved....

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Cosworth

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb '06 - 15:12 »
Thanks Ian, it's  better now ;D ;D ;D

merlin3000

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb '06 - 01:08 »
Thanks by replying..

So my problem is that xmplay is not waiting long enough? Because if I select a lot of files and then select "Open with Xm-Play" It will start playing the first track, then will clear the list and start to play the second track and so on for all selected files, until I only have on the list the last track of the selected group.

My Computer is a P4 at 1.7 Ghz I think it's quick enough.. on versions like 3.0 it was.

If for the "add to xm-paly list" takes the same time, for what I can see it takes about 2 seconds to add a song, the same goes to start a new song when I double click a new track in explorer.

Can something beeing slowing Xm-play down? I have no problems with other applications.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb '06 - 13:14 »
If you go back to 3.0, does the problem go away? I don't recall any real changes to this stuff for a long time, but if the problem does stop with an old version, please try going back through all the old versions (eg. from 3.3 to 3.0), until the you find the one where the problem starts. You can get them from RD's archive.

merlin3000

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb '06 - 01:57 »
I've retried the 3.0 version, and the problem persist.. I've used 3.0 on my computer before my last reinstallation of wndows and it worked fine.. now they both have that problem. Can you increase the "checking for the last track" time for about 3 seconds so I can test it and see if it is because something slowing down?

Thanks

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb '06 - 17:58 »
That suggests that it's something with your Windows installation that's slowing things down then. Have you installed anything system/shell-related this time that you didn't have installed before?

I don't think increasing the "checking for the last track" timeout would really achieve anything, but to see if something is messed up in the registry, you could try running REGEDIT and exporting these branches (replace ".mp3" if you're using other filetypes with XMPlay)...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XMPlay
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.mp3
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3

merlin3000

« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar '06 - 19:58 »
Hi..

I've had an incident with my pc.. so I couldn't test it more. Anyway I've reinstalled windows and now everything runs fine (but in the las to times I have done it, the problem persisted). I have a new hard disk, bigger and faster don't know if it can make a difference, or the fact that the other disc was dying without my knowledge.

Thank everyone.. keep up the good work