Author Topic: [SKIN] WMP10  (Read 77340 times)

Maserati

[SKIN] WMP10
« on: 16 Apr '06 - 18:34 »
Skin released! Available on the support site including source files here:
http://support.xmplay.com/file_comment.php?id=528

Screenshot:
« Last Edit: 4 Apr '07 - 00:14 by Maserati »

raina

Re: WMP10 Skin WIP
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr '06 - 18:48 »
Hey, looking good! I remember there was a way of making wmp very small too, so I hope you'll use that for the mini mode. You might want to consider removing the hotkey indicating underlining from the Now Playing List since XMPlay's shortcuts are all changeable.

Brian

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr '06 - 19:07 »
I'm sure this will be well executed, but if I see another new skin with blue as the predominant colour, I'm going to scream.

Maserati

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr '06 - 20:25 »
scroll down for newer screenshots
« Last Edit: 23 Apr '06 - 01:57 by Maserati »

Maserati

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr '06 - 18:21 »
ive been doing some more work on this. Im not entirely pleased with how the output panel is coming out.  It would be really nice if there was a way to make it 'popup' over the track list if possible.  Then I would just put a button to toggle it on the 'toolbar' next to "Now Playing List".  I would like to continue on this skin, but I dont use the output panel and thus have little incentive to improve it.

Any one interested in taking a look at (improving) this?  I could post a link to the latest source and psd files i am using. 
I am just looking for some advice, I am new to skinning. :)

Torkell

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr '06 - 21:32 »
(wild guess, untested, I have little knowledge of the skinning system)

You could try setting the z-order so the output panel is on top, setting them to scroll vertically, and then giving the output panel a negative offset. To hide it, you'd need to make sure that the toolbar fully covers the part you want hidden tho.

Lashiec

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr '06 - 16:16 »
WOW! Looks excellent! I'm looking forward to the release!

Maserati

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr '06 - 23:07 »
@BoggyB I see there is a 'pos_rightoverleft' and 'pos_level' setting I will look into it.  Looks like the equalizer would be to big no matter what i would do.  To bad there isnt a way to toggle the z-order with a button ;)
« Last Edit: 21 Apr '06 - 20:45 by Maserati »

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr '06 - 00:43 »
Even if you could, you only had 10 slots for file display. That would leave a great deal of empty space then.

Maserati

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr '06 - 01:05 »
well i was considering making the list 8 tracks or so and tweaking the size of the output panel to match.  i will experiement with it some later, i want to get the rest of the skin finished.

one thing i dont see a way to fix is the mute button, it appears xmplay doesn't support them.  not a big deal though. 

still learning! :)

Maserati

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr '06 - 02:11 »
is it possible to make a button that toggles the output panel up or down, yet the button doesn't move? 

i will also try it as the right side panel, i really want to avoid having it shown at all times, to keep it as simple looking as i can.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr '06 - 20:45 by Maserati »

Maserati

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr '06 - 17:44 »
(removed old screenshot)

any feedback on what you like / don't like is good.
« Last Edit: 17 May '06 - 17:48 by Maserati »

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr '06 - 18:15 »
Looks very nice so far. :)
I know it's useless to make a scrollbar for the vis window, but I'd add a scrollbar to the info window for consistency's sake. The scroll thumb looks so lonely there without one.
Actually you can leave out the mute button, IMO. It doesn't make sense with a music player, anyway - on movie players it makes sense because you can watch the picture with no sound. But with a music player, you can just press Pause.
What does that "minimize" button on the lower right do? Switch to mini mode I presume?
Another detail: the little dents at the lower right of the window suggest to the user, that this window is resizable - which it isn't. If you want an exact replica of WMP10, keep them. Else you should remove them.

I see that you have left out the track info area, but could you at least insert the title/filename area somewhere?
Do you have a screenshot which shows a selected track on the playlist, or a queued one?

P.S.: I'd appreciate a scrollbar with a little wider thumb. I often use the touchpad on my notebook, but XMPlay doesn't support virtual touchpad scrolling (yet), so I always have to go for the scrollbar.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr '06 - 18:25 by Rah'Dick »

Maserati

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr '06 - 19:39 »
first thanks for the feedback, it really helps :)

I am aware about the scroll thumb on the info window, i wanted to get rid of it, but it insists on being there.  So I will try to fix it to have a scrollbar as well.  Likewise I will make it a little wider.

Since XMPlay has no mute button, which makes perfect sense as you explained, i will get rid of it and use the space for something else.

The 'minimize button' on the lower right opens the info panel.  minimode is switched to by double click on main panel.  btw the top right buttons left to right are 'options' 'minimize' and 'close'.

I was thinking the same thing about the little "resize dents", i was going for accuracy, but i will remove them and see how it looks.

I want to add 'total time' for the playlist and a scrolling 'current title/filename'.  I have a nice idea on how i will do that.

No idea what im going to do with the eq though  :P

I do think I have the final look for the info panels though.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr '06 - 21:46 by Maserati »

Maserati

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr '06 - 22:17 »
Work continues on 'XMP10'  :P

REMOVED: mute_button, resize_dents
ADDED: Title

Most of the remaining work is the info_head_list.  I am also going to try and get mini_mode down to a 'single line'.

I am thinking about making the 'arrow-button' near the bottom right, open the equalizer below the main_panel, similiar to how iXMPlay does.  Of course then the info buton needs a new spot, so I was thinking of the XMPlay logo on the top-left.

the main_panel playlist is straying from the original wmp look, in that the playlist occupies the full width and the background/text color have better contrast imo.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr '06 - 21:48 by Maserati »

Maserati

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr '06 - 03:06 »
I am thinking about making mini_mode more like the 'quicklaunch' version of wmp. 

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr '06 - 11:27 »
Good idea! I never liked WMP but I might give this skin a try. :)
Pay attention to the white pixels in the lower corners of the XMPlay icon, tho.

raina

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr '06 - 12:50 »
I am thinking about making mini_mode more like the 'quicklaunch' version of wmp. 

Now you're talking! A lot of minimodes haven't been mini at all lately. Maybe a little wider though, for displaying the song title?

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr '06 - 12:54 »
Wow this is looking really really nice. :o

Looking forward to giving it a try. ;D

Maserati

« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr '06 - 20:21 »
oh i fixed those little pixels in the corners immediately after i uploaded that png, didnt notice them until that. 
However I think i will remove it since it uses some space and doesnt exactly fit in with the color scheme. 

The 'volume button' has been removed, you can still adjust the volume with the mouse wheel or '+' or '-' keys.
I am experimenting with a mini slider and level.  also info_head_list is almost done.

lingenfr

« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr '06 - 22:19 »
Is this posted somewhere for download?

Maserati

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr '06 - 02:09 »
in a few days hopefully, and i will include source.  :)

Y@nekŪ

« Reply #22 on: 24 Apr '06 - 07:17 »
Better idea is making of skin like AllSong Korean player skins:

Skins artists please make one but good skin. Not stupid playlistoplayersoequalizer.
If I will want playlist, options or eq I will enable and show it with button.

There are some examples of good skins:
http://www.altools.co.kr/product/alsong_skin.aspx?good=alsong&sign=good

Tsorovan

« Reply #23 on: 24 Apr '06 - 08:04 »
I guess they're bored of the exact same layout... and are only making them this new way to get some variation. The problem is with the limited skin system if you ask me.

Y@nekŪ

« Reply #24 on: 24 Apr '06 - 15:05 »
I guess they're bored of the exact same layout... and are only making them this new way to get some variation. The problem is with the limited skin system if you ask me.

But many of this "artistic" skins are unusable :( That is case why people choose winamp.