Author Topic: [VC++] Recording left and right channels in two mp3 files  (Read 4415 times)

DriMarq

Hi friends, I'm new in this forum. I'm trying to record data from the left and right channel and save them in two mp3 files... I already read some docs and some posts regarding this issue, but I'm still a bit confused about that. Please, could anybody help me to fix the following code to accomplish that?

Code: [Select]
HRECORD channelRec;
HSTREAM channel_L;
HSTREAM channel_R;

DWORD CALLBACK DummyStreamProc(HSTREAM handle, void *buffer, DWORD length, DWORD user)
{
   return length;
}

BOOL CALLBACK RecordProc(HRECORD handle, void *buf, DWORD len, DWORD user)
{
   short *stereo = (short*)buf;
   short *left;
   short *right;

left = (short*)malloc(len/2);      // allocate buffer for left channel
   right = (short*)malloc(len/2);     // allocate buffer for right channel

for ( int i=0 ; i < len/4 ; i++ )
   {
      left[i]  = stereo[i*2];
      right[i] = stereo[i*2+1];
   }

BASS_ChannelGetData(leftencoder, left, len/2); // feed left channel to encoder
   BASS_ChannelGetData(rightencoder,right,len/2); // feed right channel to encoder

free(left);
   free(right);

return TRUE;
}

HRESULT InitBASS()
{
   // check the correct BASS was loaded
   if ( HIWORD(BASS_GetVersion()) != BASSVERSION )
   {
      MessageBox(0,"An incorrect version of BASS.DLL was loaded",0,MB_ICONERROR);
      return E_FAIL;
   }

// initialize BASS recording (default device)
   if ( !BASS_RecordInit(-1) )
   {
      MessageBox(0,"Can't initialize device",0,MB_ICONERROR);
      return E_FAIL;
   }

// start recording (44100hz, stereo, 16-bit)
   if ( !( channelRec = BASS_RecordStart(44100,2,0,(RECORDPROC*)&RecordProc,0) ) )
   {
      MessageBox(0,"Can't start recording",0,MB_ICONERROR);
      return E_FAIL;
   }

// Start encoding
   BASS_CHANNELINFO i;
   BASS_ChannelGetInfo(channelRec,&i);

channel_L  = BASS_StreamCreate( i.freq,1, i.flags|BASS_STREAM_DECODE, DummyStreamProc, 0 );
   channel_R  = BASS_StreamCreate( i.freq,1, i.flags|BASS_STREAM_DECODE, DummyStreamProc, 0 );

BASS_Encode_Start(channel_L, "lame --alt-preset standard - outputL.mp3", 0, NULL, 0);
   BASS_Encode_Start(channel_R, "lame --alt-preset standard - outputR.mp3", 0, NULL, 0);
   BASS_ChannelPlay(channel_L,0);
   BASS_ChannelPlay(channel_R,0);

return S_OK;
}

VOID StopRecording()
{
   BASS_ChannelStop(channelRec);

BASS_StreamCreateFile(FALSE,"outputL.mp3",0,0,0);
   BASS_StreamCreateFile(FALSE,"outputR.mp3",0,0,0);
}

Thanks in advance

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
That basically looks ok, but you need to stop the encoders and free the dummy streams. Or just free the streams, and add the BASS_ENCODE_AUTOFREE flag to the BASS_Encode_Start calls.

Btw, you can also now replace the "DummyStreamProc" with "NULL" in the BASS_StreamCreate calls, and the BASS_ChannelPlay calls aren't needed :)

DriMarq

Ian @ un4seen, thank you much for replying. Although the examples in the BASS docs are in C, I noticed few people here using this language. Most use Delphi and VB.  :)

OK, back to issue, I did the changes you suggested, but the code doesn't still work (the mp3 files are not generated).  :( It perfectly works with WAV (no encoders) and with WMA.

It follows the code:

HRECORD channelRec;
HSTREAM channel_L;
HSTREAM channel_R;

BOOL CALLBACK RecordProc(HRECORD handle, void *buf, DWORD len, DWORD user)
{
   short *stereo = (short*)buf;
   short *left;
   short *right;

left = (short*)malloc(len/2);      // allocate buffer for left channel
   right = (short*)malloc(len/2);     // allocate buffer for right channel

for ( int i=0 ; i < len/4 ; i++ )
   {
      left[i]  = stereo[i*2];
      right[i] = stereo[i*2+1];
   }

BASS_ChannelGetData(leftencoder, left, len/2); // feed left channel to encoder
   BASS_ChannelGetData(rightencoder,right,len/2); // feed right channel to encoder

free(left);
   free(right);

return TRUE;
}

HRESULT InitBASS()
{
   // check the correct BASS was loaded
   if ( HIWORD(BASS_GetVersion()) != BASSVERSION )
   {
      MessageBox(0,"An incorrect version of BASS.DLL was loaded",0,MB_ICONERROR);
      return E_FAIL;
   }

// initialize BASS recording (default device)
   if ( !BASS_RecordInit(-1) )
   {
      MessageBox(0,"Can't initialize device",0,MB_ICONERROR);
      return E_FAIL;
   }

// start recording (44100hz, stereo, 16-bit)
   if ( !( channelRec = BASS_RecordStart(44100,2,0,(RECORDPROC*)&RecordProc,0) ) )
   {
      MessageBox(0,"Can't start recording",0,MB_ICONERROR);
      return E_FAIL;
   }

// Start encoding
   BASS_CHANNELINFO i;
   BASS_ChannelGetInfo(channelRec,&i);

channel_L  = BASS_StreamCreate( i.freq,1, i.flags|BASS_STREAM_DECODE, NULL, 0 );
   channel_R  = BASS_StreamCreate( i.freq,1, i.flags|BASS_STREAM_DECODE, NULL, 0 );

BASS_Encode_Start(channel_L, "lame --alt-preset standard - outputL.mp3", BASS_ENCODE_AUTOFREE, NULL, 0);
   BASS_Encode_Start(channel_R, "lame --alt-preset standard - outputR.mp3", BASS_ENCODE_AUTOFREE, NULL, 0);

return S_OK;
}

VOID StopRecording()
{

BASS_StreamFree(channel_L);
   BASS_StreamFree(channel_R);
}

Thanks again.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
I did the changes you suggested, but the code doesn't still work (the mp3 files are not generated).  :( It perfectly works with WAV (no encoders) and with WMA.

In that case, are you sure you have LAME.EXE in the same directory as your EXE? :)

Check that the BASS_Encode_Start calls are succeeding.

VOID StopRecording()
{

BASS_StreamFree(channel_L);
   BASS_StreamFree(channel_R);
}

I'd suggest freeing the dummy streams (and so closing the encoders due to the AUTOFREE flag), before trying to open the encoders' output files.

3delite

Need to do the same, and my calculations show that the cycle definition is incorrect.
You have to do it LENGTH / 4 -1 times.

Somebody can confirm this?

EDIT: Or possibly this is only true for Delphi, becouse of the <. I see...

I want to record to two separate mp3 files but I doesn't understand the code above.
I separate the buffer in two buffers. That's done. But then how can I send this two buffers to two encoders?
Push stream?
Please help!

Regards
3delite
« Last Edit: 16 Dec '08 - 18:55 by 3delite »

3delite

Never mind, I solved it with creating two dummy streams with BASS_StreamCreate() give that to BASS_Encode_Start(), and then using BASS_Encode_Write() to feed the data to the encoder in the RECORDPROC. Seems working perfectly.

Regards
3delite

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Yep, you can do that or use BASS_ChannelGetData to feed the data to the dummy streams (and encoders) as in the code above. Either way is fine :)