Author Topic: About the beatdetector...  (Read 54924 times)

albertos

Re: About the beatdetector...
« Reply #75 on: 30 Aug '02 - 01:26 »
how about that ocx?....

vertex

« Reply #76 on: 2 Sep '02 - 00:22 »

I have sendt mails to the people that made Cubic Carrot, never got an answer! So I guess they just don't give a damn...

i had also contact to cubic carrot... he send me the sdk with a beat-detection dll (lib?) and the header-files - i never got i t run - just errors... but i dont think, that this tool is the best - it was one of the first and therefore it´s brilliant - but it´s no more state of the art - waht you (we) need is AI
;o) - and this is still my problem...

Largie

« Reply #77 on: 2 Sep '02 - 06:23 »

i had also contact to cubic carrot... he send me the sdk with a beat-detection dll (lib?) and the header-files - i never got i t run - just errors... but i dont think, that this tool is the best - it was one of the first and therefore it´s brilliant - but it´s no more state of the art - waht you (we) need is AI
;o) - and this is still my problem...

Well.... I sendt him a mail an did not get answered in severeal months, so I guessed that he had quit... But he has not! :) Now, the Cubic Carrot SDK does work, but he uses borland c++ insted of VC++ that make some differeneces... But with the new SDK with examples on how to use it, it does work...
But since we are developing a new beatdetector I guessing that it is not good enough yet. :)

Ryzer

« Reply #78 on: 8 Sep '02 - 16:43 »
he also awnsered me and visited this forum...

CubicCarrot

« Reply #79 on: 10 Sep '02 - 02:46 »
Hello again,

I've put some results of with the algorithm used by the "new" SDK on-line:

http://users.skynet.be/cubiccarrot/Results.htm

Most songs are mp3s, those with filenames "kmh-*" are XMs.  The old SDK was indeed not as good as this.  But IMHO these are quite good results.  Beat Counter 1.0.13 and Beat Monitor 2.0.0 should give similar results (if used correctly).

The algorithm doesn't use AI.  I've considered using AI to enhance results further, but I think the first rule in AI is: never use AI if you can use an expert system.

Also, I'm sorry for those I didn't reply to.  If you send me an e-mail and I don't respond, send it again - I can read my e-mails about once every two weeks, and this system is shared with other people (so e-mails can easily get "lost").  

VB is not supported yet (?).  It seems to be impossible to get pointers to functions/procedures/subs in VB, and the SDK API relies on this.  I could build a wrapper dll, but this would require a separate thread to be used just for the wrapper (goodbye efficiency).  I'm still considering writing an ActiveX control for wrapping it (for VB and other languages), but I'ld like to make it more than just a bpm-counter-control - and I'm currently working on this.

Olego

:-D
« Reply #80 on: 10 Sep '02 - 06:22 »
You da man, Cubic Carrot!  ;D

*shakes your hand*

~Olego~

CopyCat

« Reply #81 on: 10 Dec '02 - 18:52 »
I see some of you mention quite good DJ-packages out there. But to add a winner, look at http://www.mixmeister.com/ (MixMeister Pro 4).

Of all packages I've tried, this is doing beat detection and beat mixing better than the rest put togehter. And it supplies a gorgious visual presentation to spice it up.

Now, that is the people we should buy source code from. Or just a component..

Largie

« Reply #82 on: 10 Dec '02 - 19:20 »

Now, that is the people we should buy source code from. Or just a component..

Wow, good system! :)

Now when you have understood how to analyze the beat, you should not have any problems making such a good system as they have made.

Now they have a price about $140 for the system... I guess they would give much higher prices for the beat system, since that is one of the "core" things in their program. So when we get finish with an early beta ready to be tested with the public, we can make systems just like mixmeister! :)

Soon to come: http://www.beatdetector.com

It's design has been finsihed by our webguys... now we need to fill the stuff inn, after the exams! :)

CopyCat

« Reply #83 on: 10 Dec '02 - 20:25 »
Right, it's nothing less than impressive! And a good proof that it's "more than possible" to do good beat detection, and use it for great beat mixing..

Had a look at your site today, and I'm looking forward to see the content, once posted.

Hvilken skole/universitet (fag) går du på?

Largie

« Reply #84 on: 10 Dec '02 - 20:40 »

Hvilken skole/universitet (fag) går du på?

Ahh... Norsk ja! :) Jeg går på Hit (Høyskolen i Telemark), går på It & Automasjons linja der.... Veit ikke hva jeg skal bli enda, men holder på mye med programmering. Mest gui, men kommer mer og mer dsp programmering.

For you all, the beat detector functions that will be able for you to download will be open source, so you can twist it to something better. Remeber we are not the GREATEST programmers in the world, so we need help to get it better when it is released! We'll help you get a jump start, so when you have made it better, we can update it at the beatdetector site, so others can go over your code again ect!

Hopefully the idea of opensource for windows apps, make the world a better place! :o

CopyCat

« Reply #85 on: 15 Dec '02 - 12:43 »

Thorbjorn

« Reply #86 on: 15 Dec '02 - 15:14 »
Hi Ryzer, I've made a bpm-detector in vb using the bass.dll that work fairly well. What kind of project do you need it for?

Contact me at divkontoer@thesto.net if you have questions

Largie

« Reply #87 on: 16 Dec '02 - 10:40 »
Thorbjørn...  Send me the code too, so we can publish and gather different solutions at beatdetector.com

Mail me at lars@werner.no