Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.4  (Read 97372 times)

raina

Re: Suggestions for 3.4
« Reply #50 on: 10 Nov '06 - 12:46 »
* Library made dynamic, keyed to user-designated folders

* Option to select ASIO output, with resampling (preferably via a native plugin)

These 2 are top of my list of stuff to add (output plugins rather than specifically "ASIO").

Allow custom dynamic playlists tabs that populates the playlist with all files in one or more folder structures on startup or when some update button is clicked.

I would very much like to be able to add tracks to playlist by dropping files/shortcuts into a folder XMPlay is monitoring, optionally shuffling them automatically upon adding. This way the whole workgroup can participate in building a playlist of music on a network drive for example. The shuffling could be made among all tracks after the currently playing track, just the newly added tracks or a mixture of these where the shuffling selection would cover the new files and overlap for example the last 5 to 10 tracks.

And ++ on the library mass tagging, if I didn't say it already.

El_Guapo

« Reply #51 on: 11 Nov '06 - 11:08 »
I would like to see a slightly improved tag editing.
I'm not sure why, but I have problems making my mp3-tag changes permanent.
That "override" radiobutton is pretty confusing to me. Why is it there?
If I change something, close xmplay and open the file again. The changes are reset.
I now have winamp installed for the sole purpose of tag editing.

Cris

« Reply #52 on: 11 Nov '06 - 14:10 »
XMPlay doesn't (yet) have native tag editing capabilities. To edit a mp3 tag, you need to download a plug-in from support.xmplay.com.
The only thing XMPlay does is to override the tags of a file. That means that those tags that you edit/create in a file are only shown in XMPlay. They are not actually saved in the file.
The reason why the tags get reset when you close XMPlay is that the tags are saved in XMPlay's Library, so if the file you edited is not in the library, tags won't be saved after closing XMPlay. You can set XMPlay to add the files automatically in the library from "Options and stuff" window (Playlist->Auto add to library->on play). That way, tags will be saved after XMPlay is closed, but they won't be available in other programs, because they are not saved in the file (only in the library).

You can download tag editing plug-ins from:
http://support.xmplay.com/file.php?cat_id=9

For mp3's, the plug-in is here:
http://support.xmplay.com/files/tag_editing_plugins/in_mp3.exe

For more info, look here:
http://support.xmplay.com/article.php?id=15

raina

« Reply #53 on: 11 Nov '06 - 18:08 »
Automatic trimming and skipping of long silence. The way it works in the end of module files is nice since often times there can be hordes of pattern delay commands in there and such. I would like to see this extended to cover all file types, especially CD's that have bonus tracks cleverly hidden in, say the 12 minute mark of the last listed track. This would prevent annoying long pauses in shuffled playlists.

This next idea came from my girlfriend: she wishes there was an option to automatically remove or mark skipped tracks that have been played so they wouldn't get replayed when you accidentally shuffle everything when you only meant to do that to the tracks after the current one.

...And this makes me think of the addition of an undo function for the playlist.

Maserati

« Reply #54 on: 11 Nov '06 - 20:54 »
here is another thing ive been thinking about, could we have an option to 'loop' a track by right clicking on it on the playlist?  It seems more intuitive than having to click on a button elsewhere to do it, it would also be less confusing than the two different repeat buttons that are widely used (tick_loop.bmp and button_loop.bmp).  Also if implmented could we have a "mark_loop.bmp" that would appear as the "mark_queue.bmp" does? Its a simple request I think but its very appealing :)

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #55 on: 11 Nov '06 - 23:04 »
@Maserati: Believe it or not, there are people who use the right mouse button for context menus. A workaround for this problem would be to be able to queue the currently playing song. I found myself in that situation recently: a song was playing and I liked it to play once more, but I didn't want to enable looping and then disable looping again.

[Edit] I see, my user title has been changed. Thanks, Ian! :)

Maserati

« Reply #56 on: 12 Nov '06 - 00:18 »
I am not sure I understood your first sentance exactly so to clarify what I meant was to add another context menu entry or option to loop the selected track :)

Tsorovan

« Reply #57 on: 12 Nov '06 - 13:45 »
I am not sure I understood your first sentance exactly so to clarify what I meant was to add another context menu entry or option to loop the selected track :)
I support this. I've often found myself wanting to play a certain track n times, or just loop it indefinitely (without messing up the rest of the playlist, or have to disable "remove duplicates" and re-add the song a bunch of times) for, among other things, simple transcribing purposes.

Jace

« Reply #58 on: 12 Nov '06 - 13:50 »
Sort of a 'bug'fix request, but something I really REALLY would want to have again in an upcoming version..

When a song (or multiple songs) have been added to playlist (by doubleclick or clipboard-grabber), only the added f
ile/s used to be selected and was playable with a quick "stop-stop-play" globalshortcutcombo.
But now, if tracks were selected before adding, their selection will always remain, so the first old selection will be played instead of the new track. =\
As another example for what I might like to do is add track, xmp grabs focus, press 'q' (queue) and get the song playing next.. With current behaviour it'd queue all of the other selections too.

I know of the existance of the 'Play listed tracks' -checkbox. The thing is, 90% of the time when I add new songs to the list, I don't want them to play immediately.
Can't remember what version this started to happen at, but it was fairly recent, possibly within the last few stuff-releases.
ps. If you have no idea what I am after, please ask.. I'm really not good at delivering my point across today. x)

Right, personal stupidity is a sin. Some other prog had screwed up integration. Solved. =P
« Last Edit: 13 Nov '06 - 17:49 by Jace »

xaaran

« Reply #59 on: 12 Nov '06 - 14:42 »
To Tsorovan and Maserati as to "play a certain track n times":

When needed I usually do it with "find" feature - call extended playlist (with global hotkey), ctrl+f, and enter keys for desired song.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: 12 Nov '06 - 15:50 »
When a song (or multiple songs) have been added to playlist (by doubleclick or clipboard-grabber), only the added file/s used to be selected and was playable with a quick "stop-stop-play" globalshortcutcombo.
But now, if tracks were selected before adding, their selection will always remain, so the first old selection will be played instead of the new track. =\

That's strange. Previously selected tracks shouldn't remain selected when new tracks are added (and they don't seem to here :)). Is there some particular way to get the problem to happen? You could also upload your XMPLAY.INI in case something in there is causing it...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

LPChip

« Reply #61 on: 13 Nov '06 - 14:32 »
I always keep my info window open with the playlist in it. When I'm browsing sites, and I need to access the tab below the player, setting the player in mini mode doesn't alter the info window which still keeps the data below invisible.

It would be great to have an option to auto-hide the info window when going to mini-mode, and when going back to normal mode, the playlist becomes visible again.

Cris

« Reply #62 on: 13 Nov '06 - 16:01 »
[...]setting the player in mini mode doesn't alter the info window which still keeps the data below invisible.

It would be great to have an option to auto-hide the info window when going to mini-mode, and when going back to normal mode, the playlist becomes visible again.

Come to think of it, this might be a good idea :)
Even more, it would be nice an option for AlphaBlending for the info window (maybe even with click-through??;D)

pupil

« Reply #63 on: 13 Nov '06 - 17:53 »
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I'm constantly frustrated that I can't click to highlight a song in the play list, and then Ctrl + Tab down to select a bunch more below it. A simple windows standard thing you take for granted in explorer but can't do in XMPlay.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: 14 Nov '06 - 15:28 »
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I'm constantly frustrated that I can't click to highlight a song in the play list, and then Ctrl + Tab down to select a bunch more below it. A simple windows standard thing you take for granted in explorer but can't do in XMPlay.

Ctrl+Tab? That does nothing special here, so from your description I guess you mean Shift+Up/Down? Assuming that's the case, here's an update to try, with "select extend up/down" shortcuts...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

The problem is what default keys to use? I guess Shift+Up/Down would be best (same as Explorer), but they're currently used to go up/down a page. I guess that would be best using PageUp/Down, but those keys are currently used to jump to the previous/next track in the list :)

Dotpitch

« Reply #65 on: 14 Nov '06 - 15:48 »
...here's an update to try, with "select extend up/down" shortcuts...
Sweet! ;D

Brian

« Reply #66 on: 14 Nov '06 - 17:10 »
How about Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down?

Tsorovan

« Reply #67 on: 14 Nov '06 - 19:18 »
Ctrl+PgUp/Down to move a page makes more sense. Does anyone ever use that thing anyway?

Brian

« Reply #68 on: 14 Nov '06 - 20:19 »
I can't get the extend to work - nothing happens when I hit my designated hotkeys. What am I doing wrong?

Sam_Zen

« Reply #69 on: 15 Nov '06 - 00:12 »
Wav export
(A nice feature btw..)
If I open the file "noise.ogg" and choose as output device the Wav Writer to pipeline the playback to saving it as a Wav-file, the outputname will be "noise.ogg.wav". Maybe easy for some people, but at least I like to have the choice to do this in a more conservative way, so to get just "noise.wav".
EDIT: I'm sorry, in the meantime I noticed in the new setup frame, that I have that choice of saving.

I agree with the suggestion for two more output channels.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov '06 - 06:05 by Sam_Zen »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: 15 Nov '06 - 15:03 »
Ctrl+PgUp/Down to move a page makes more sense. Does anyone ever use that thing anyway?

I guess the "Select extend up/down" shortcuts could just take over the Shift+Up/Down keys from the "Page up/down" shortcuts. As you say, they're not very important, and anyone who wants to use them can set their own shortcuts.

Vesh

« Reply #71 on: 19 Nov '06 - 03:47 »
Playlist Right-Click Function: Resume

So, this is another suggestion stolen from a piece of software I use daily, but hey, at least this time it's from an entertainment program and not an animation package. I use XBMC a lot. One thing that it does is remember - even between sessions - the position you left any unfinished video at. Might not seem useful at first, but if you're busy and are often interrupted in a way where you cant just pause the show, it obviously becomes valid.

With music, maybe the viability of this option is negligible (sweet lord god help me, that's actually how that phrase streamed outta my head), but for things like commentaries and podcasts it'd be nice. For this to work, XMPlay should simply remember the last position of unfinished tracks [without closing the program in any special way] and allow a right-click->Resume on those tracks in the playlist to start them back up where they left off.

mm

« Reply #72 on: 19 Nov '06 - 10:18 »
Two suggestions:

- when appending files to the playlist through drag and drop, I keep forgetting the what modifier key to hold (it is SHIFT). How about changing the icon in some way when SHIFT key is pressed and a file is dragged over xmplay?

- always leave one empty row at the bottom of the playlist. That way appending files without pressing the modifier key will always be possible.  :) Wait, I just found out that dropping onto the playlist "title bar" automatically appends so the empty row is not needed.

mm

« Reply #73 on: 19 Nov '06 - 10:20 »
Just to clarify, I meant:

- when appending files to the playlist through drag and drop onto the main window not the playlist window, ...

Tsorovan

« Reply #74 on: 19 Nov '06 - 12:31 »
I must repeat the need for a periodical autosave of the playlist (with a revert option). Maybe it could save it everytime it gets modified? No matter how careful I am, it happens too often that I inadvertently wipe my current playlist.