Author Topic: [solved] One of my media files is compressed somehow...  (Read 6953 times)

Grindill

I have a media file which is a collection of MP3s that have either been stored in an archive, or somehow "album-wrapped." I tried extracting the individual files with both 7-Zip and WinRAR, but it's not reading as an archive. So, I'm wondering if maybe someone used AlbumWrap to merge the files together, as I have came across similar things in the past. Generally, the media file plays as one large track, but my player reads seperate tags for each of the individual files. (like it would with an archive)

What I want to do is seperate the tracks and simply combine them in an archive, as it's much easier for me to handle. Any clues about how this file might have been created so I can reverse the process?
« Last Edit: 24 Oct '06 - 23:36 by Grindill »

Dotpitch

Re: One of my media files is compressed somehow...
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct '06 - 06:41 »
I guess it's not combined with a .cue file?

There is something as a chained OGG Vorbis stream, multiple Vorbis file concatenated in one file. The same thing can be done with MP3, but I'm not sure the tags would work properly. The file will keep the mp3-extension and can be played back by any mp3-player as one large file, so perhaps that's the file you have.

I think this can only be reversed manually, cutting the tracks with MP3Trim or something similar.

[Hopefully less confusion ;)]
« Last Edit: 24 Oct '06 - 10:40 by Dotpitch »

Jace

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct '06 - 10:12 »
Dot, I think you might've got it the wrong way around..
I believe Grindill wanted to take APART such a single, large, multipart mp3, not to create one.

Personally I've no idea how to do that, have been dealing only with Oggs for.. quite a while now. ;)
Just trying to clear some confusion. (Or possibly add to it.)

Grindill

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct '06 - 16:58 »
There is a CUE file included seperately, detailing the information of each track.

I downloaded AlbumWarp Extractor to see if this was the case, but it was not.

Dotpitch

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct '06 - 21:12 »
There is a CUE file included seperately, detailing the information of each track.
Try looking for a CUE-splitter, like CUE Splitter. It can split the large file in smaller parts, as specified in the cue-file. XMPlay can play these smaller files gapless without problem :).

Grindill

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct '06 - 23:35 »
Try looking for a CUE-splitter, like CUE Splitter. It can split the large file in smaller parts, as specified in the cue-file. XMPlay can play these smaller files gapless without problem :).

Thanks, Dotpitch. Works like a charm. :)