Author Topic: extremely loud volume - what am I doing wrong?  (Read 5009 times)

Aletheos

This may or may not be a problem with XMPlay, if not, sorry for bothering you.
The problem I have is this; modules, xm, it, s3m, mod, they play at extremely high volumes in XMPlay.
It's not just any modules either, just the ones I make myself. I use modplug tracker... or what's it called these days, OpenMPT. If I set volume, global or channel, it sounds like it should in MPT, but always at full volume in XMPlay.

Example:
---
I open a module I haven't made, like vhi_live.s3m, in MPT. It plays at the desired volume(s)
I open it in XMPlay, and it does the same.

Then

I make something simple, just one pattern. As a test I let the volume change thru out the "song". It plays as desired in MPT. I open that module in XMPlay, and it wreaks havoc on my headphones.
---
Really weird is, volume 0 is silent. Volume 1 - 64 is the same, very very loud.

What is going on here?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: extremely loud volume - what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov '06 - 15:23 »
Because volume levels can vary greatly between MOD formats and trackers, there isn't a single mixing level that'll work nicely with every file. So XMPlay pre-scans the files to try to find optimal levels. That's why the volume in your single sample example doesn't matter. In real cases, it should work fairly well.

LPChip

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov '06 - 16:29 »
I have noticed the same thing, and this is what I found out about it...

You can enable automatic Gain. If you set automatic gain on a file with only one channel, the song gets amplified like alot.

If the song however has more channels being used, then the problem isn't that big.

Try disabling auto pre-amp and if required set the pre-amp value manually. That should do the trick!

Aletheos

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov '06 - 20:20 »
Right, so here we go. Add a few more patterns, two more samples, make the volume vary more.
Still doesn't play at the same level as in MPT, like all other modules do.

Manually set auto amp to -15db

Yep, that brings it down to about the same level as in MPT.

Aletheos

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov '06 - 21:48 »
Actually, making the song longer and with more samples does help a bit.
I tried replacing all the samples in a module I didn't make with one single
sample, and that did increase the volume in XMPlay. I guess that's it then.

Thanks a bunch.