Author Topic: [SKIN] min  (Read 11184 times)

Maserati

[SKIN] min
« on: 5 Mar '07 - 22:01 »
I started this last night.  Cheers!  :D
Includes 3 color variants: blue, green, and orange.

Ideas:
  • try to create more blank space on main panel
  • try to improve the side grips
  • should main/mini be wider?
  • should mini show a position bar?
  • ask Ian for ability to disable pause flashing

GIF showing the 3 color variants:
« Last Edit: 4 Apr '07 - 00:07 by Maserati »

Zarggg

Re: [WIP] "min" skin
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar '07 - 01:08 »
Not bad.

Dotpitch

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar '07 - 08:26 »
  • ... use title/time mini panel on mouse over?
Would be nice, a title over the progress bar. I think it currently lacks a title in the main panel, time is less relavant.
I'll sign up for the green version ;D and very well done in one night ;).

Tsorovan

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar '07 - 08:49 »
It is not advisable to use a very wide font like Verdana for compact skins.
Other than that, I welcome more skins like this. This is how player UIs should be!

I would move (and already have moved on my miniskin 2.5) the big time slider to the main panel that actives on mouseover (best feature EVER), and have a really tiny slider (1-3px high, not for manipulating) and instead show the title on the mini mode panel.

To allow for more space for the title or whatnot, you don't HAVE to have the close button/play controls visible in the mini mode either, if you go with the mouse over solution. Sure, "people" won't know where the buttons will pop up (BAD UI design according to some), but come on, how many times before they've learned? 2?

raina

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar '07 - 09:25 »
  • add minimize button widen main/mini yes, please
  • fix volume knob "width" yeah, no need to cover the speaker symbol. Oh, and to optimize: you could use a single state knob bitmap
  • add auto-resize button and total-time to info/ext panel for completeness, please
  • remove playlist from main panel, use title/time mini panel on mouse over?  If yes, then no equalizer All for it, it's about time more mouse over skins hit the shelves
  • replace tahoma font with verdana/other? The font looks fine, though I'm not crazy about the amount of padding between the playlist entries.
  • move close button to right to match info window? You mean left? I understand you can soon have the info window close button on the right, which is the Windowsy thing to do.
  • ask Ian for ability to disable pause flashing You have my pitchfork

Well, rummaging through the sources was certainly educational. I learned that the extended playlist adopts its text line height from the panel list and also that there's a mask color 22 for main/mini panels. I noticed you can delete all the slider_*.bmp since they currently serve no purpose. The absence of slider_pos.bmp actually makes the position slider look better imho.

Maserati

Re: [WIP] "min" skin (Download Beta 2)
« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar '07 - 02:20 »
Beta 2 posted, download link in the bottom of first post.
BTW @Dotpitch I intend to include all 3 as I have done thus far, and I am slightly favorable to the green as well :)

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

Something I realized is I could actually add the title to the main panel above a position bar like I now have in the mini panel.  It would replace the 'fat' position bar and the main panel would have to be considerably widened.  Concept:

This would display more, but I currently like the minimal approach, though that would solve the 'blank space' problem.
« Last Edit: 7 Mar '07 - 04:53 by Maserati »

Tsorovan

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar '07 - 08:25 »
I attached some mockups of how I meant, in case that wasn't clear.

(If you go with something like this you'll probably want to tone down that grey though.)
You would lose any kind of larger main panel though, if that's a problem for you.

There are a lot of buttons. Maybe you could at least collapse the Close and Minimize buttons into one, like I did in miniskin2 (just divide it diagonally)?

Good job so far.

Maserati

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar '07 - 16:27 »
made a couple of minor changes (have not posted it yet):
  • colored bars on knob_volume.bmp
  • changed the 'M' for the info window button to an 'i' 3px wide.
  • increased the height of knob_pos.bmp by 1px up and down to match the height of the buttons.
  • changed the default state of tick_loop.bmp and tick_random_info.bmp
  • darkened the progress_bar from 777777 to 595959
« Last Edit: 11 Mar '07 - 16:32 by Maserati »

Y@nekŪ

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar '07 - 17:48 »
I build skin on base your "min" skin:

Anime theme:

Hi Fi theme:

Your skin for me is the best way for make own favorites skins.
I will not publish this skin (will be use only by me) so - you have all copyrights guaranted ^^.

raina

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar '07 - 15:50 »
Just out of curiosity, is the skin maybe based on this flash video player?
« Last Edit: 22 Mar '07 - 16:09 by raina »

Y@nekŪ

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar '07 - 17:50 »
Just out of curiosity, is the skin maybe based on this flash video player?

LOL which? My or [WIP] "min"? :)
Anyway, I never before heard about this video player.

raina

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar '07 - 02:47 »
min.

Maserati

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar '07 - 05:51 »
hmm that does look like it, I found it on some site playing mp3's.  I liked how basic it was, and when I realized how small, in terms of filesize, this skin was I named it 'min'. :)