Author Topic: What's the best method to organize your music with XMP.?  (Read 6679 times)

dsp_418

Hi all,

I'm using Xmplay and I'm finding the quality of sound truly incredible.
Since I was used to players as foobar, musikcube and, occasionally, 1by1, the way to move through my folders and play the music and also organize it on those players, was very different then with XMplay.
The chance to have tabs, to view disk folders directly into the player it's very practical.
Now, what I'm doing with XMplay is this: click on the ADD folder button, add the music folder and then play files.
When I want to change genre / musician I select all files in the track info window, delete them and add a new folder.
Now, this is a bit boring if you've to do it many times during the day.
Said that, I'd like to know if there's a more useful way to handle the music: I could miss some basic XM. features or some plugins around to help in this task.
Anyway, now it's time to back to enjoy my music with XMplay :)

Thanks for this beautiful app.

Dotpitch

You could add all your music to the playlist, and then search for a specific artist or genre (you need to have proper tags to have this work perfectly). In the search window, you can tick "Skip playback of non-matching tracks", so you'll only have to change the search string if you want to listen to something else :).

dsp_418

Thanks for the reply Dotpitch,

my first thought was to avoid to add all music to the playlist.
Since the files are really soooo many I've thought it could be messy and it could make XM heavier in memory too.
Am I wrong?

p.s. in the other hand I'll get a long, long list by this way, right? so, the search function would be the only one choice to find the music ... :(

Dotpitch

XMPlay doesn't really care about the size of your playlist. It does take some time to add the files and read the tags, but nothing more happens. And you're right, the search function would be the only way to find songs, scrolling will take a lot of time with 1000+ files :D.

Ni

dsp_418,

First, have you tried using the built in library?

I don't use the library so I basically do what you currently do. But you can speed things up in several ways.

1. Put all you mp3 albums in one root folder and create a hotkey to open that folder in explorer. In explorer, you can quick jump to selecting files/folders by typing their names rapidly. Also, if you put a album cover image in each album folder and name it "folder.jpg", browsing the root album folder in thumbnails view shows those cover images. That makes for even quicker navigation. I have found no faster way to find what you want, and it works for all media players.

2. I then drag and drop the album folder onto xmplay main window to replace all files in the playlist.

3. Alternatively, I hold SHIFT and drag and drop the album to append the files to the playlist.

I hope I said things you did not already know  :)

Y@nekŪ

One album in one catalog. Nothing more I need.

marco

Thanks for your replies.
@ Ni, the SHIFT tip is new to me, thanks
@ Y@nekŪ: where may I find some more infos about the catalogs? I'm looking Support site but still haven't found nothing about that ...

Y@nekŪ

Thanks for your replies.
@ Y@nekŪ: where may I find some more infos about the catalogs? I'm looking Support site but still haven't found nothing about that ...

... :o ???
I don't know what can I write...

PVTele

Possibly I'm being naive here, but I can't see why people don't use the Library.

OK it's not quite so easy to use as say Winamp's, nor as exhaustive MediaMonkey's, but it's a good tool nonetheless, and pleasant to use once you're used to its idiosyncrasies.

Don't forget you can rearrange the columns, and show as many or as few as you like, and that sorts are performed by clicking on the column headers.

Most importantly, you get a hierarchical sort by clicking on a series of column headers, e.g. <track> then <album> then <artist> will give you your tracks all nicely arranged by artist, within albums, in the correct order. Then it's a cinch to highlight the ones you want, right click, and choose either "create playlist" to clear and play, or "add to playlist" to enqueue.

I always use this method now - I leave the list side-panel playlist firmly shut (!) and work only in the extended info window, which I've resized to allow me to work comfortably.

Pike84

Most importantly, you get a hierarchical sort by clicking on a series of column headers, e.g. <track> then <album> then <artist> will give you your tracks all nicely arranged by artist, within albums, in the correct order.
I didn't switch to using the library immediately, because I didn't realize this was possible, but I think it's the best and easiest way to sort your music in whatever order you like. Works like a charm :).

PVTele

;D ;D ;D

Glad it works for you, too  8)

Tsorovan

The library is useless to me, but I can easily see it working for some people.

Jace

I use my library just for statistical information (play count, last played, age etc). ;D

PVTele

Just a thought: I find the Library pretty useless for storing radio stream URLs - they always end up in the clutter at the end, with the odd tracks with no particular artist - musical instrument sound clips, for instance.

So - to make a handy list of radio "bookmarks," create a folder somewhere convenient on your desktop, calling it "radio" or something equally original.

Play the stream from the site link (ShoutCast, IceCast, station's own page etc.) by (left) clicking the link as usual. Then open XMPlay playlist, and save playlist (which will be a single .pls entry) in your radio folder, under the station's name.

You can then right-click your taskbar, select "toolbars", then "new toolbar..." and choose your new folder location from the navigation box that will pop up. Click OK, and you'll have a handy little pop-up list just by the side of the system tray, all ready to instantly select a station, which will start XMPlay (if not already running) and automatically play the stream. Does the same job as Winamp's bookmarks, only considerably quicker  ;)

the_sagga

i'm just an album collector, i have ONLY albums in the library...the library is very useful for me but IS NOT PERFECT YET

if you see my posts you will see some library suggestions, like the search, folder.jpg (is an old post  :)) and other.

PVTele

Ian's "select all matching" update is superb! Anyone reading this should go to http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=7110.0 and download the "stuff" update (3.4.1.12) and give it a try.

While I'm about it, here's the download link again: http://www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Big round of applause for Ian this time  ;D ;D ;D