Author Topic: ? Manual (free/cd)db Search  (Read 11047 times)

Synetech

? Manual (free/cd)db Search
« on: 23 Dec '07 - 08:21 »
Hi,

I was trying to clean up part of my hard drive today and found a few orphaned MP3 files in my audio folder. They are labeled (Track 01).mp3, (Track 02).mp3, and (Track 07).mp3—yeah, I know.

I had them stored in a folder such as \audio\mp3\themes\games\tombraider.

Upon examination, I find that they are certainly NOT Tomb Raider tracks. They are very clockwork/industrial and spooky and I love it. They are something you would expect from Alice, 7th Guest, Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, etc.

Anyway, I have checked them (even with a hex-editor) and found no clue as to what they are from. I do have a couple of small hints including the fact that there are 14 tracks in total, and the lengths of the tracks I have (5:58, 4:49, and 5:12 respectively).

So, my question is: is there a way to manually do a cddb/freedb/etc. search on the information I have?

Thanks a lot.

Jace

Re: ? Manual (free/cd)db Search
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec '07 - 23:10 »
I don't know about that. But if they were Silent Hill tracks, I would recognise. ;D
Any way to make 'em available for checking? (Even as low-quality ;))

Synetech

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec '07 - 02:00 »
I’ve packed them together with a note and uploaded it here. Hopefully someone will recognize them.

Bistzack

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec '07 - 01:58 »
So, my question is: is there a way to manually do a cddb/freedb/etc. search on the information I have?

There is actually such a service which I find very helpful at times: Bitzi with Bitzi Bitcollider Utility

Unfortunately these files are not recognised.

Synetech

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec '07 - 04:19 »

There is actually such a service which I find very helpful at times: Bitzi with Bitzi Bitcollider Utility

Unfortunately these files are not recognised.

Thanks for the tip; Bitzi sounds familiar. Unfortunately, MP3 files are notorious for being bit-wise different even when the actual song is identical thanks to the ID3 tags, not to mention different rips.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec '07 - 04:22 by Synetech »

Bistzack

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec '07 - 13:35 »
Oh, yeah, you're right. The files need to be bit-to-bit the same when you check them at Bitzi.

Dotpitch

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec '07 - 14:42 »
Nothing on MusicBrainz either. Only 14 tracks, so I'd guess they're not from an original game soundtrack cd.

Synetech

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec '07 - 16:45 »
Nothing on MusicBrainz either. Only 14 tracks, so I'd guess they're not from an original game soundtrack cd.

What do you mean? Are there no games that have 14 tracks? It is not clear if 14 includes a data track or not (although since there is an audio track numbered one, it likely does not, and therefore 15 including the data).

Dotpitch

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec '07 - 17:32 »
Only 14 tracks, so I'd guess they're not from an original game soundtrack cd.
What do you mean? Are there no games that have 14 tracks?
Sure the music can be from a game, but I often see that "music from the game"-discs have a lot more than 14 tracks, so I think it's less probable. (Just some wild guessing ;).)

Synetech

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec '07 - 17:35 »
Actually, it can go either way. Music tracks are usually only about a dozen, while ambient sounds are often more than 20. Of course the fact that this one is sort a mix between ambient sounds and music doesn’t help.  :-\

Torkell

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec '07 - 18:14 »
Mp3tag can do a freedb lookup based on file lengths, though I doubt it'll work unless you have a complete set (freedb uses a hash based on file lengths and some other mystic gunk).

Synetech

« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec '07 - 19:58 »
Mp3tag can do a freedb lookup based on file lengths, though I doubt it'll work unless you have a complete set.
That’s why I’m trying to find a manual way.  :(

Bistzack

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan '08 - 15:15 »
Regarding those unrecognized mp3 tracks. Check it out:

Code: [Select]
http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/896323_uiwql/02-village-of-the-doomed.mp3
It's quite similar to the (Track 02).mp3, isn't it? :) The beginning is slightly different and the song itself comes from American McGee's Alice Soundtrack available here:

Code: [Select]
http://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/american-mcgee-s-alice
You need to investigate all the others because I've checked only the second track.

Synetech

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan '08 - 18:29 »
Thanks for the tip; I’ll check it out. The first thing that popped into my mind when I first heard it was Alice, so I would not be surprised if it was afterall.

I have been thinking about that game a lot recently, so I may yank my discs and give the game another play soon.

*UPDATE*
I just downloaded the songs and you are right, it is the Alice soundtrack!!! Thank you! My favorite track was the one labeled 07 which in that page is listed as “09-i-m-not-edible”; it is delightfully demented. :)

The question now is why the ones that I have are different from the ones on that page. They are the same songs, but different versions. I suspect that one of them is from the game itself (in-game music), while the other is probably from a stand-alone CD soundtrack release.

I am definitely going to have to get my Alice discs to check (and play again) now…
« Last Edit: 23 Jan '08 - 18:45 by Synetech »

Bistzack

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan '08 - 16:09 »
No problem, I'm glad I could help.