Author Topic: "windows cannot find file" error, only in XMPlay  (Read 3584 times)

Ilya

If I open XMPlay and try to drag an mp3 file into the playlist, nothing happens.  If I right-click an mp3 file and select "open with XMPlay" or "add to XMPlay play-list", I get an error: "Windows cannot find 'blablabla.mp3'.  Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again." 

Obviously the file is there and it always plays fine in Winamp, Windows Media Player, VLC, etc.

I've been having this problem for several weeks.  Nothing has really changed on my laptop, I've scanned for viruses/malware, used Hijackthis, etc.  Also uninstalled, reinstalled XMPlay, but still nothing.  I'm completely stumped as I've never had this problem before.

raina

Re: "windows cannot find file" error, only in XMPlay
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr '08 - 08:03 »
"Windows cannot find..." suggests the context menu options are pointing to a wrong location of XMPlay. It could help if you disable and re-enable those bits of integration in the options. Don't know why dragon droppings wouldn't work though.

Dotpitch

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr '08 - 08:06 »
If I open XMPlay and try to drag an mp3 file into the playlist, nothing happens.
Does this happen with every MP3 file, or only only with specific ones? And what if you use the Open file dialog?

Ilya

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr '08 - 17:45 »
Ok, it's back now - not sure what I did exactly.  Basically deleted XMPlay, then went to the "fily types" menu and removed all associations with XMPlay, restarted, then re-installed.  

Nice to have it back - this really is the best player I've ever used, everything else is annoying or slow.

Ilya

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr '08 - 20:37 »
Nope...it's broken again >:(  I haven't made a single change since it worked a few hours ago...

Happens with every file.  If I try to open something from within XMPlay, I get the windows error sound and the preferences screen opens. 

Dotpitch

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr '08 - 21:20 »
Nope...it's broken again
Did you extract xmplay.exe to a permanent directory?
When Options and Stuff pops up, is your soundcard selected as audio device? What Windows are you on?
What's the exact error you get when you try to open a file associated with XMPlay?

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr '08 - 23:25 »
I sometimes get this message with filenames whose paths contain spaces. You basically have to set the context menu entry to something like
"C:\Program Files\XMPlay\xmplay.exe" "%1"
with the quotes. I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr '08 - 13:36 »
To confirm whether the filetypes have been associatied with XMPlay correctly, please run REGEDIT and export the following branches:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3
   HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XMPlay

Also post the full path to where you have put XMPlay.