Author Topic: XMPlaySecret 2.1 build 20  (Read 57651 times)

Torkell

Re:XMPlaySecret utility
« Reply #50 on: 25 Oct '04 - 13:31 »
I keep getting these 2 wierd errors when I try and run it:
1;
Error reading attributes for "Make default playlist read-only"

35006: The name is not in use for a subkey or named value.
2;
Run-time error '35006':
The name is not in use for a subkey or named value.

I realise the errors pretty much are the same, but I thought it best to include both. Can someone shed some light on this little endevour?
These are the errors that are now being fixed. My fault for having even let them out in the first place - I forgot to make it check to see if the stuff was missing from the registry.

Kyle

« Reply #51 on: 27 Oct '04 - 01:54 »
Thanks!
From the screenshots it looks like an awesome app, so I hope you get that fixed soon, i'd love to try it out.

Torkell

XMPlaySecret 2.0 build 15
« Reply #52 on: 13 Feb '05 - 23:09 »
New version 2.0 build 15 (get it here)
  • Completely rewrote the main code and redesigned the UI.
  • All options now take effect immediately
  • New command to empty the media library (new to XMPlay 3.2)

Sorry about the delay folks, this version's been heavily rewritten (hence the major version number bump), and now has a shedload of error handling from the start. It also has a new button just for XMPlay 3.2's media library ;D

Torkell

XMPlaySecret 2.1 build 20
« Reply #53 on: 14 Apr '05 - 21:07 »
New version 2.1 build 20 (get it here)
  • Another UI redesign - hopefully the last for a bit!
  • Added support for more settings

I've finally got round to uploading this. I've now added support for all known secret registry settings. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 14 Dec '05 - 17:15 by BoggyB »

Philippe

Re: XMPlaySecret 2.1 build 20
« Reply #54 on: 14 Apr '05 - 22:07 »
Thanks BoggyB!

Synetech

« Reply #55 on: 31 May '05 - 17:02 »
I keep getting an error message that

Could not find "xmplay.library
Note that this setting only works with a global playlist

If I create a blank file with that name then it doesn't complain but then if I click clear library XMPlaySecret deletes the xmplay.library file and next it complains again.

Also, the error message is missing a quote.  ;)
« Last Edit: 31 May '05 - 21:31 by Synetech »

Torkell

« Reply #56 on: 31 May '05 - 19:11 »
I keep getting an error message that

Could not find "xmplay.library
Note that this setting only works with a global playlist
Ah. You'll get this message if you don't have the media library enabled (or are using an older version of XMPlay).

Also, the error message is missing a quote.
Oops.

Synetech

« Reply #57 on: 31 May '05 - 21:36 »
Okay, I enabled the library and added a song to it.  I then used XMPlaySecret to clear the library file and it deleted it.  On the next run of XMPS it again complained that the xmplay.library file is missing.  Of course it's missing, XMPS deleted it!   :D

XMPS does not delete the playlist file though, it just clears it out.  Can I assume this is because the .PLS file is text and you can clear it out but the .LIBRARY file is binary and you don't know the format?   ;)

Synetech

Re: XMPlaySecret utility
« Reply #58 on: 31 May '05 - 21:42 »
Thanks.  Although it turned out I didn't have to register RegObj.dll and it still worked... perhaps the install tool I linked to above does that automatically as well.

Correct, the installer registers RegObj.DLL as part of the installation.  And you DO have to register it or else XMPlaySecret will not be able to access the registry and gives you the cryptic message: "Could not open the XMPlay registry section.  Please run XMPlay to create the keys." and starts with all the boxes grayed.  Of course the registry entries are there, the problem is that XMPS is unable to read them because RegObj is not registered.  On that note, it might be helpful if XMPS could give a sepearate error message stating that it is unable to read the registry (and maybe something about RegObj); the current one—though half valid—is misleading.

Torkell

« Reply #59 on: 1 Jun '05 - 09:04 »
Okay, I enabled the library and added a song to it.  I then used XMPlaySecret to clear the library file and it deleted it.  On the next run of XMPS it again complained that the xmplay.library file is missing.  Of course it's missing, XMPS deleted it!   :D

XMPS does not delete the playlist file though, it just clears it out.  Can I assume this is because the .PLS file is text and you can clear it out but the .LIBRARY file is binary and you don't know the format?   ;)
Yup. I don't have a clue what the format of the .LIBRARY file is, so I decided to delete it. I threw that command in in case XMPlay choked on a bad .LIBRARY file (given its past performance with corrupt modules, that wouldn't suprise me).

Thanks.  Although it turned out I didn't have to register RegObj.dll and it still worked... perhaps the install tool I linked to above does that automatically as well.
Correct, the installer registers RegObj.DLL as part of the installation.  And you DO have to register it or else XMPlaySecret will not be able to access the registry and gives you the cryptic message: "Could not open the XMPlay registry section.  Please run XMPlay to create the keys." and starts with all the boxes grayed.  Of course the registry entries are there, the problem is that XMPS is unable to read them because RegObj is not registered.  On that note, it might be helpful if XMPS could give a sepearate error message stating that it is unable to read the registry (and maybe something about RegObj); the current one—though half valid—is misleading.
RegObj is required for all registry access (beats using the windows API), and is installed and registered by the installer. I'll add a different message if it can't use RegObj, but that's pretty unlikely (unless you're installing with restricted priviliges or you go and sabotage the installation).

Synetech

« Reply #60 on: 1 Jun '05 - 18:39 »
RegObj is required for all registry access (beats using the windows API), and is installed and registered by the installer. I'll add a different message if it can't use RegObj, but that's pretty unlikely (unless you're installing with restricted priviliges or you go and sabotage the installation).

Hehe, sabotage.   ;D  No, actually what I do for most small programs (small in size and # of files, etc) as well as programs that get updated often is to install it, copy the files and registry entries it uses to a different place, then uninstall the program.  That way I can use the programs without it being official installed on my system, taking up space in the Add/Remove Programs dialog, registry, system directory, etc.  Also, next time I reimage (clone) my drive to restore a previous state (before all the installations and messing around I inevitablly end up doing over time), the programs run but my system is still clean.  Plus it lets me keep more control over things like shared DLLs and so on.  That's all.

Hawkeyefile

« Reply #61 on: 27 Jul '05 - 22:53 »
Why is this file so big? XMPlay is only 300kB and this is over 1M?  And why do you hide it in a Windows Installation wrapper? Why not leave it open in a .zip file like XMPlay for everybody to see.

59 People have been to this web site. My advice: STAY AWAY FROM THIS APPLICATION. Something is fishy when file to set Options is nearly 4X the size of the file you are setting options on. Like a key logger hidden inside? Or maybe a virus? Anyway, something is just not Kosher.
It's over 1M because it contians the VB runtimes and a dll to make registry access easier in VB. I included the runtimes as not everyone will have them. Also, I didn't pack the EXE to make it smaller (which is what's done with XMPlay). It's in a windows installer package as that way there's only one file to distribute and it's easier to install. It's not hidden - there are plenty of free tools around to let you see the files inside it, same as with a zip file. The .MSI file's zipped because geocites won't let me upload a .MSI file. There's no key logger, virus, spyware, adware or any malware inside it.

Complete contents of the MSI file:
# XMPlaySecret.exe
# regobj.dll (some classes to make registry access easy in VB)
# scrrun.dll (MS Scriptiing Runtime - used for some file access)
# COMCAT.MSM (merge module - something to do with COM)
# MSVBVM60.MSM (merge module - VB runtimes)
# MSVCRT.MSM (merge module - VC runtimes (not sure why that's included))
# OLEAUT32.MSM (merge module - OLE automation)

It does seem a bit big, looking at it (didn't notice as I'm on broadband). I just built the package in Visual InterDev and let it decide what files to include. The MSI file comes to just 1.19 MB, which I think is better than by using the Package & Deploy wizard. I'll look into trimming the size down a bit.
dont use MSVB just use plain 'ole Basic (not the ms shit!) or better yet move on and use C# like the rest of the world.

Hawkeyefile

« Reply #62 on: 27 Jul '05 - 22:57 »
can you add support for xmplay to stick like winamp (curently it only sticks to the top and botom of the screen)

Torkell

« Reply #63 on: 28 Jul '05 - 22:29 »
dont use MSVB just use plain 'ole Basic (not the ms shit!) or better yet move on and use C# like the rest of the world.
I rather like VB6. I personally find it easy to use and ideal for this, and as long as it does the job without too much waste then I don't see any reason to change to something else. "plain 'ole Basic", well the problem with that is plain basic isn't exactly visual, nor does it understand things like the windows registry. C#? No thanks. I don't feel any need to include the .net overhead in this. And the rest of the world does not use C# last time I looked.

For the record, I *do* program in languages other than VB6. Right now I have a utility I wrote in C running, and I've even used C++ and MFC before now. But I don't really feel like learning how to access the registry with C at the moment, considering Microsoft provides a COM component that does it all for me.

can you add support for xmplay to stick like winamp (curently it only sticks to the top and botom of the screen)
I'm the wrong person to ask for that. XMPlaySecret lets you get at hidden settings of XMPlay, it doesn't invent new ones.

nutellajunkie

« Reply #64 on: 10 May '08 - 18:29 »
Shame this doesn look like its been updated in quite some time. Was a nifty "wee" program. But I suppose all the secrets are out now :)

Charming!

raina

« Reply #65 on: 10 May '08 - 18:45 »
The forum hell is full?