Author Topic: XM can't recognize some .mod's  (Read 12135 times)

shurp

XM can't recognize some .mod's
« on: 8 May '08 - 08:05 »
Here's a few .mod's that XMplay just doesn't want to recognize as music and doesn't add to the playlist or load at all. I gave a few since there's probably some relationship between their formats or something that's messing it up..

http://www.angelfarto.com/mod/BANANAS.MOD
http://www.angelfarto.com/mod/SPACETRA.MOD
http://www.angelfarto.com/mod/STARWARS.MOD
http://www.angelfarto.com/mod/TIE.MOD

I wouldn't really care enough to come to this forum and complain about it but a couple of them are good songs that just don't play right on other players!

(Actually, with a little accidental research, it looks like XM won't recognize Soundtracker format.  :'( *cry* nor Composer 669, not that I care about 669 tho  ;D)

Pike84

Re: XM can't recognize some .mod's
« Reply #1 on: 8 May '08 - 08:23 »
This Winamp plugin provides support for the mod formats you mentioned: MikAmp. You can use it with XMPlay (like any other Winamp input plugin).

So, are these files Soundtracker mods with a wrong extension? If so, they should work with this one.

[edit] Hmm.. it seems like Soundtracker mods normally have .mod extension. Hope I'm not mixing up anything else ::).
« Last Edit: 8 May '08 - 08:29 by Pike84 »

saga

« Reply #2 on: 8 May '08 - 16:35 »
it is known that XMplay can't play MODs with 15 samples. But don't listen to Pike84, don't use MikAmp, ffs ;D Use the oldskool-plugin, available at support.xmplay.com

Pike84

« Reply #3 on: 8 May '08 - 17:10 »
Oh.. Is that superior to MikAmp? I don't know much about those, since I don't need either one myself, I just noticed that MikAmp supported those formats.

saga

« Reply #4 on: 8 May '08 - 17:58 »
well, mikamp is about to be the worst mod replay engine ever in my eyes. especially when it comes to xm/it.

Pike84

« Reply #5 on: 8 May '08 - 19:41 »
Perhaps, but those don't concern a user of XMPlay, since the native playback engine can't be overriden.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the differences of these plugins, I'm sure you know better :).

shurp

« Reply #6 on: 9 May '08 - 05:22 »
nice. thanks all!

support.xmplay.com rules. I never knew I could play my nsf files in XMplay! and SPC! and USF!!

mmm so many plugins to go install..  ;D ;D

btw it seemed there was no 'native input plug' for soundtracker files, so I'm going to try out mikamp.

raina

« Reply #7 on: 9 May '08 - 08:03 »
The Oldsk00l plugin was mentioned, check it out here: http://support.xmplay.com/file_comment.php?id=42 .

shurp

« Reply #8 on: 9 May '08 - 23:35 »
hm. they both seem to have their own faults.  in_sk00l plays bananas perfect (no panning or volume discrepancies like MikAMP) but then plays spacetravelling off key where MikAMP plays it fine =(

Guess I'll stick with MikAMP since it plays more formats I want :1

Sam_Zen

« Reply #9 on: 10 May '08 - 04:26 »
I didn't know about a 'SoundTracker' format. The *.MOD format is often asssigned to the 'ProTracker' syntax.
I checked two of the MOD files here, bananas and space trax.
Both files indeed were rejected by XMP. But were playable by f.e the old ModPLug player:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~samzen/download/mpp462.7z
This app has the option to save the MOD again, and after doing so, XMP is able to play the MOD.
After checking the data-content of the pre and post version there were obvious data differences in the file.
For example some code '00' before every sample indication was changed into '01'.

It will never be possible to make a program compatible to anything, so sometimes a two-step rocket is needed to launch something.

Fraggie

« Reply #10 on: 10 May '08 - 08:30 »
While this is far from being ready, you may still want to try it out... http://dhost.info/pieknyman/dload/getfile.php?id=7

BTW, these are quite cool songs!

deus-ex

« Reply #11 on: 10 May '08 - 11:58 »
While this is far from being ready, you may still want to try it out... http://dhost.info/pieknyman/dload/getfile.php?id=7

Habba Habba! :P

shurp

« Reply #12 on: 10 May '08 - 18:57 »
xmp-mod15.dll crashes xmplay when I try to load those .mod's > <

I've no idea what a .7z file is nor how to unpack it. But it sounds like another program? not a plugin? Back in the day, I had MOD4WIN, which played all my tracked files perfectly. Of course, it is today and we have new technology like XMP that can play pretty much every file under the sun - which fuckin rox.

The point of me starting this thread was to help make XMP the best it can be!

raina

« Reply #13 on: 10 May '08 - 19:12 »
.7z is 7-zip archived file. Look for a capable archiver here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_archivers#Archive_format_support
I personally recommend IZArc on Windows.
« Last Edit: 10 May '08 - 19:15 by raina »

deus-ex

« Reply #14 on: 10 May '08 - 19:25 »
I've no idea what a .7z file is nor how to unpack it.

7z = 7-Zip archive (a file archiver like PKZip, WinRAR etc.)

Back in the day, I had MOD4WIN, which played all my tracked files perfectly.

Once there was a time when MOD4WIN was the best player available for Windows OS, but it was far away from beeing perfect.

[...] like XMP that can play pretty much every file under the sun [...]

I'm afraid that's not quite true. Just have a look into the public module folder at MODLAND to broaden your view. And even this collection doesn't cover every (more or less important) existing music file format.

If you know how to open WinRAR archives you can obtain a copy of the afore mentioned Modplugplayer here: download. If not, 7-Zip (Freeware) includes support for WinRAR archive extraction.
« Last Edit: 10 May '08 - 19:27 by deus-ex »

Sam_Zen

« Reply #15 on: 11 May '08 - 02:29 »
Nice additional info posted.
Once there was a time when I had MOD4WIN running on a 3.11 OS, but it was, as the OS, very unstable.
So I preferred playing MOD's in the parallel DOS environment with f.e. FastTracker.

Btw, this ModPLug Player was a sidekick of the ModPlug Editor by Olivier Lapicque. With a browser plugin too.
He stopped the development, but published the code of the editor, so now it's an open-source project.
More info about the MPP can be found here.

Of course I see XMP as my prime audio-player.
In this perspective MPP is not a player, but a converter, by having a 'save as' function.
Preparing the MOD to be played by XMP. One extra action..
I don't demand from XMP to handle 'anything'.
As is nicely illustrated by deus-ex with the link to MODLAND.
(thanks, an excellent collection of data)

Fraggie

« Reply #16 on: 11 May '08 - 08:16 »
xmp-mod15.dll crashes xmplay when I try to load those .mod's > <
Too bad. Your machine is probably not equipped with SSE.

In this perspective MPP is not a player, but a converter, by having a 'save as' function.
Preparing the MOD to be played by XMP. One extra action..
Converting Soundtracker MOD to ProTracker MOD is the worst thing you can do. It is widely considerd that such conversion is a very easy job, but by looking at the Modplug code I can tell you that you'd have to be very lucky to get a perfect sound (you'd have it with a module with no effects and sample loops, and if it was made with something older than Master Soundtracker you'd still be at wrong tempo!). This is probably the main reason why people think that old MOD's are crap, while it's the conversion or poor replay code.

« Reply #17 on: 11 May '08 - 11:34 »
Rejected Soundtracker module.

BTW, could you add stereo separation config and title/duration scan after adding to playlist?

saga

« Reply #18 on: 11 May '08 - 11:35 »
haha, the conversion of "Amegas" by K.Obarski sounded like the original, and I did it in OpenMPT. But then again, it's the first module ever written, without any effects or anything ;D

Fraggie

« Reply #19 on: 11 May '08 - 14:40 »
Rejected Soundtracker module.
No clue which Soundtracker was used to make this module...

« Reply #20 on: 11 May '08 - 15:16 »

shurp

« Reply #21 on: 11 May '08 - 17:05 »
Thanks for the .rar link deus-ex. I think this solution is acceptable to my needs  ;D Yea, looking at ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/ is kind of humbling. I feel kind of selfish posting this problem in the first place now  ::)  Tho now I want to use ModPlug to play all my mods now ><

(thanks, an excellent collection of data)
I can hear your palms rubbing together in the greedy-old-man fashion.

Sam_Zen

« Reply #22 on: 12 May '08 - 03:16 »
2 guest
'Another one' has the wrong extension (at least for Win32) inside the .gz
It should be .MOD. But even after name-correction, XMP wasn't home.
Same save-trick with MPP did the job.
2 Fraggie
Reproduction of the original quality is another issue. This is firstly about XMP being able to playback.
But I agree, a difference in playing speed is a serious fault.
In the MOD format the start-speed has to be defined on the first row with an Fxx code.
This is ok in the examples of the files rejected by XMP.
So there's no duration difference after the correction.
Another thing is the quality.
I detect a difference in stereo panorama between MPP playing the corrected MOD, or XMP.
XMP seems to set the performance to mono..
I can hear your palms rubbing together in the greedy-old-man fashion
I did indeed. It's always exciting to find a vast database about a specific sound-issue.

raina

« Reply #23 on: 12 May '08 - 08:50 »
XMP seems to set the performance to mono..

You control that yourself with the MOD playback mode setting (and finetune it with Pan separation (and go crazy with it with Surround)).