Author Topic: Fraunhofer's L3ENC v2.72 Crashing Under Windows XP  (Read 8625 times)

Rich Nagel

Folks,

I thought at first to post this in the "LAME vs Fraunhofer" thread, but figured it would be better to start a new thread for this question.

(re: the other thread) I myself have been using a purchased version of Fraunhofer's L3ENC v2.72 for many years now. I like the speed, as well as good old DOS command-line sort of things <G>.

Anyhow, I've been using L3ENC for years now on an MS DOS v6.22 machine, as well two PCs running Windows 98 SE. Anyone that knows me here in the forums, knows that ALL of my PCs are archaic and ancient "boat-anchors" <LOL>... but, I'm currently in the process of building me up a P4 2.66GHZ PC out of spare parts -:)

Unfortunately, the problem that I've ran into is finding Windows 98 SE drivers for the hardware, and am going to be FORCED to migrate to the Windows XP abomination (I like Windows 98 SE and do NOT wish to use XP!). I've been experimenting with what would run and what wouldn't under XPee, so's I'll be ready for any future problems after fully migrating to that OS.

One problem that I ran into was the Fraunhofer's L3ENC v2.72. I've tried it on various PCs with various hardware configurations, running Windows XP Home, as well as Windows XP Pro (SP1 and SP2). On ALL of the Windows XP machines L3ENC crashes with a Stack Fault (and of course, a bunch of other gobbledy-gook <G>). Now, this is unacceptable... when I finally migrate to Windows XP, I damn sure better able to run my good old L3ENC!

Anyways, I tried adding a "STACKS" entry in my "CONFIG.NT" file (e.g "STACKS=8,512", minus the quotes), using different combinations of valid stack values (first value from 8 to 64, and the second value from 32 to 512), but L3ENC still crashed with a stack fault.

Note that the Windows XP Pro help mentions that "STACKS" is a valid "CONFIG.NT" entry, and goes into detail about the correct syntax and valid parameters (which are the same as MS-DOS v5.0 and higher).

I then wondered if the "STACKS" entry was *actually* even doing anything, so I created a "PIF" file for Windows XP's "COMMAND.COM" (C:\Windows\System32\Command.com) to force COMMAND.COM to use the "AUTOEXEC.NT" and "CONFIG.NT" initialization files.

After running COMMAND.COM and then typing "MEM/D" (memory/debug), there's a section in the "MEM/D" screens that displays what the stacks are set at. For stacks, all it reports is "STACKS=", with no value(s) for the stacks. I also noticed in the "MEM/D" results that the "FILES=" also had no value... even though by default, your "AUTOEXEC.NT" file has the entry "FILES=40".

Anyway, this leads me to believe that XPee is *ignoring* some of the entries in the "CONFIG.NT" file, such as "stacks", "files", etc... but I'm not sure.

Anyhoooo...

* Does anyone know if adding the "STACKS" entry in the "CONFIG.NT" file *actually* does something in Windows XP, or is XP simply ignoring it (like it seems to do with a LOT of things!)?

* Has anyone had any luck running L3ENC (of any version) under Windows XP?

* Could the file "GO32.EXE" have anything to do with this, and if so, is there an upgraded version of "GO32.EXE" that could be used instead so that L3ENC will function correctly without crashing? (FYI, "GO32.EXE" is loaded by L3ENC at runtime, that's the DPMI memory manager that L3ENC uses)?

Thanks for any help -:)

(I WANT MY L3ENC <G>!!!)

P.S. L3ENC runs fine under XP with "DOSBox", but DOSBox slows it down, and is a bit of a PITA... which sort of negates any benefit of me using L3ENC <G>.
« Last Edit: 9 Aug '08 - 04:54 by Rich Nagel »

Dotpitch

Re: Fraunhofer's L3ENC v2.72 Crashing Under Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug '08 - 13:56 »
GO32.exe is the protected mode manager required to run l3enc. It crashes on a stack fault (I doubt increasing the stack size will help in any way), and compatibility mode doesn't help. Basically, GO32.exe needs a real DOS environment, not an emulated one. You should look for a XP-compatible version of GO32.exe, if they ever made that. Your other option is indeed DOSBox, or you could try VirtualBox to host a DOS/Win98 virtual pc. Or ofcourse get a different encoder, Helix seems to be a lot faster than LAME.

Rich Nagel

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug '08 - 16:11 »
Many thanks for the info, Dotpitch -:)

I'll see if I can dig up an XP compatable version of GO32.EXE, although I don't think there's such an animal.

If not, I suppose I'll have to use one of the other methods that you suggested.

As far as increasing the stacks, I'm not even sure if I can reliably test that, as Windows XP seems to be ignoring that entry in my CONFIG.NT file.

Thanks again for the help -:)

Dotpitch

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug '08 - 17:09 »
I'll see if I can dig up an XP compatable version of GO32.EXE, although I don't think there's such an animal.

Quote from: freepascal.org
Download DOS (GO32v2)
The latest release version is 2.0.4. Please keep in mind that this package isn't supposed to work in Windows NT/2000/XP. (link)
Free Pascal hosts the sources as well, should you feel the need to patch things up yourself :).

Rich Nagel

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug '08 - 11:14 »
Thanks for the link, Dotpitch -:)

Yeah, unfortunately GO32v2 doesn't work either. As far as patching, that's beyond my scope and expertise <G>.

BTW, duuno if you're familar with Fraunhofer's "FastEnc" (the successor to L3Enc), but if so, what do you think of FastEnc verses L3Enc?

FastEnc is a native Win32 app, and seems to gave almost the same command line parameters as L3Enc.

Dotpitch

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug '08 - 12:15 »
BTW, duuno if you're familar with Fraunhofer's "FastEnc" (the successor to L3Enc), but if so, what do you think of FastEnc verses L3Enc?
I have no idea :). There have been some horrible bugs in FastEnc (see ff123's site), but I guess that's all fixed now, so it should be better than l3enc. Since you're using a P4, I'd recommend you try something newer as well (like LAME or Helix), they could be considerately faster and perhaps better.

gigalot

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug '08 - 21:56 »
Opticom mp3 producer pro is based of fraunhofer is pretty good on XP and newest mp3sencoder.exe is fine too.

Rich Nagel

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug '08 - 06:16 »
Thanks for the info/link, guys... I'll check 'em out ASAP -:)

P.S. To Dotpitch: Hehe, still haven't actually migrated to the P4 yet (I'm still on my lowly AMD500 and P233MMX <LOL>)... awaiting a Sound Blaster Live Gold (which will then retire my old 486DX2-100 <G>), and a final install of WXP Pro SP2 -:)

raina

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug '08 - 09:05 »
Just so you know, SP3 is out already as well. :)

Rich Nagel

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug '08 - 15:28 »
Just so you know, SP3 is out already as well. :)

Yeah, I kenw that had been released some time ago. Does MS have a web page were you can (free of charge) order an SP3 upgrade CD (like they did for SP2, as well as the Windows 98 Security Update CD)?

I didn't think they did, but wasn't sure, and I'm on a lowly dialup... 'twould take me two years to download all of the revelent updates and security fixes <G>.

raina

Rich Nagel

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug '08 - 01:27 »
Thanks for the link! -:) :thumbsup: