Author Topic: XMPlay crashes my computer sometimes  (Read 4682 times)

Mr.Reversal

XMPlay crashes my computer sometimes
« on: 24 Feb '09 - 21:20 »
Something been buggy with my XMPlay. I try playing music from my upstairs computer with XMPlay and sometimes when I DC XMPlay will begin to hog all my memory to the point where I either have to endure the lag long enough to close it or just reboot. Winamp oddly enough doesn't do this but I don't know if I have something weird with the options or something.

I'm using Windows XP by the way.

Dotpitch

Re: XMPlay crashes my computer sometimes
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb '09 - 08:28 »
Something been buggy with my XMPlay. I try playing music from my upstairs computer with XMPlay and sometimes when I DC XMPlay will begin to hog all my memory to the point where I either have to endure the lag long enough to close it or just reboot.
Do you play your files using Windows shared network folders, or do you use a different kind of server? The files you're playing, are they inside a zip/rar archive? Have you added the files to your library? If XMPlay crashes, is that at the start/end of a song or in the middle?

Pike84

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb '09 - 14:32 »
Also, are you using any plugins to play your files? XMPlay in itself has shown to be pretty stable, and most crashing issues seem to be caused by third party plugins.

Mr.Reversal

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb '09 - 18:52 »
I use my router and not windows shared folders. The files are out in the open and not zipped or rared. I don't use a library. It doesn't matter where the songs end, if I disconnect fully XMPlay crashes.

No, I'm not using any plugins.

Dotpitch

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb '09 - 20:03 »
It doesn't matter where the songs end, if I disconnect fully XMPlay crashes.
Apparently XMPlay does not expect fixed-length streams to drop out and tries to reconnect using the unavailable network interface like a madman. Ofcourse you shouldn't disconnect when XMPlay is still using the connection, but crashing is indeed a bit of a harsh reaction.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb '09 - 17:20 »
XMPlay should only try to reconnect with streams of indeterminate length (eg. net-radio streams), and then only once. Is your server delivering files or an indeterminate stream? You can confirm which by whether the position bar is shown. If it's delivering files, how many do you have in XMPlay's playlist and is "Loop list" enabled? If so, does disabling that stop the problem?

Does XMPlay crash or just lock-up? If it crashes, please provide a DRWTSN32.LOG entry for that. Also, is the memory hogging just a supposition based on the sluggishness, or have you confirmed it in Task Manager?

Mr.Reversal

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb '09 - 21:45 »
The position bar is shown when I replicated it and XMPlay does not crash. It locks up and start hogging a lot of memory. I looked in Task Manager and it was at 99%. I don't know if it's deliver files or not but I don't really have a playlist and only one song at a time. Looplist isn't enabled.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb '09 - 13:38 »
If the position bar is shown, that means XMPlay is receiving a fixed-length file, rather than an indeterminate stream. I'm not really sure what the problem could be, so I'll probably have to send you a debug version to get some clues about it. Btw, when you say you disconnect, what exactly are you doing?

Mr.Reversal

« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb '09 - 22:35 »
I'm probably surfing or play online games. My connection just drops randomly sometimes.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar '09 - 16:54 »
OK, so you're not doing anything to disconnect it yourself, eg. pulling out the cable or disabling the network connection? What happens if you do try that? Also, does the problem happen every time there's a network disconnection, eg. can you reproduce it on demand?

Anyway, please confirm that the email address that you used to post is correct, and I'll send you a debug version to hopefully get some clues on the problem.

Mr.Reversal

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar '09 - 20:57 »
The e-mail in this one is the one I mostly use.

No, not disconnecting myself and If I try to do it it'll do the same lock up effect. The network has to disconnect fully not like drop for a second or two. I can also reproduce the effect by disabling my connection while it's playing something from the upstairs computer.

Mr.Reversa

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar '09 - 22:00 »
I'd like to express my thanks for fixing this problem. Thank you very much!